Tomatos?

Dsignrguy

I know that the leaves, stems, and stalks of most plants eaten by goliath worms , including tomato plants, are deadly toxic to chameleons......but what about Tomatos themselves? I'm was feeding my dubias scraps which included tomato the other day when I thought about it. Wasn't sure, so I pulled them out. if I feed my feeders tomato will it be safe for my cham? and if I run out of hornworm chow can I use tomato and still feed them to my Cham?

I know that the leaves, stems, and stalks of most plants eaten by goliath worms , including tomato plants, are deadly toxic to chameleons......but what about Tomatos themselves? I'm was feeding my dubias scraps which included tomato the other day when I thought about it. Wasn't sure, so I pulled them out. if I feed my feeders tomato will it be safe for my cham? and if I run out of hornworm chow can I use tomato and still feed them to my Cham?

It is my understanding that The problem with Tomato plants is the Very high Level of Vitamin A. Toxic levels for Chameleons.

I would recommend bell pepper as a sub for Hornworm food.

I certainly hope it's ok because I'll done that before too. Gave my crickets some left over salad with tomatos in it. It's been a while back and my chams are still ok.

It is my understanding that The problem with Tomato plants is the Very high Level of Vitamin A. Toxic levels for Chameleons.

I would recommend bell pepper as a sub for Hornworm food.

i wanted to add I doubt the amount the roaches ate would equal the amount a horn worm would consume. Horn Worms will east exclusively Tomato Plant. That will bring their Vit A levels to toxic levels.

A few nibbles from a roach no big deal.

I would think that small amounts of tomato are will not cause a problem. Especially if it isn't a reg food or gut loading source for your feeders.

OPI

I wonder if it would be ok to use this periodically as a Vit A supplement instead of the liver oil method?

as far as i know, tomato, spinach, broccoli contain calcium oxalate that bind calcium. Thus, they prevent your chameleon's body to absorb calcium effectively.

Back
Top Bottom