Tomatoes

johnnyev

Anyone know if Tomatoes are good nutritionally for use as a gut load? Must admit i use them frequently, as the water content seems good for hydrating insects.
I have heard that they are one of the few vegetables that are more nutritional when cooked? But probably not practical to cook for gut loading purposes.

Just found this... seems they are very good for us, anyway.

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/tomato.html

No they are not. They are part of the nightshade family and should be avoided at all costs. Check Sandra's blog about gutloading for everything you need to know about the subject and good luck!

I have read that Tomato isnt bad or poisonous to your chameleon but the leaves and vines of the tomato plant are, so you can gutload with tomato but avoid the plant

Sana

I have read that Tomato isnt bad or poisonous to your chameleon but the leaves and vines of the tomato plant is, so you can gutload with tomato but avoid the plant

Sana

I think you are right . I know I feed tomato to my Gallotia Stehlini occasionally . he likes them and has shown no ill effects in the 3 years I have had him .

Tomatoes have a lot of oxalates in them, which inhibits calcium absorption. This is why a lot of keepers avoid gut loading with them.

I used to use tomato as a gutload, but after advice from a couple of experienced members on here, decided to give it a swerve.

If the leaves of the plant are poisonous then I think that there is a likely chance of whatever substance there is in the leaves will also be in the fruit.

To avoid any possible risks, I took them out of the picture.

If you want something that is high in water content as a gutload, there are plenty of fruit items that are very juicy and do just as well.

I have read that Tomato isnt bad or poisonous to your chameleon but the leaves and vines of the tomato plant are, so you can gutload with tomato but avoid the plant

Sana

This is what I know as well. Just never use the plant itself. I've used tomatoes to feed hornworms when I ran out of chow to no ill effect.

Tomato's have a ca: p ratio of 1:5 and are fairly high in Oxalates. If you choose to use them I would really limit how often.

Tomatoes have a lot of oxalates in them, which inhibits calcium absorption. This is why a lot of keepers avoid gut loading with them.

well there you go . I guess they are not a great for gutloading insects . although I will still give the occasional piece of tomato to my giant lacerta .

Back
Top Bottom