Tomato plants in cage?

ForrestJungle

I just wanted to get some thoughts on tomato plants in cages. I was thinking they grow thick and love water and heat so why not? :) tell me what you think"!

Well there goes my idea lol. Are there any plants that aren't toxic.that you could find in a garden?

I like bamboo and most any tree that I can keep pruned back bonsai style. I have a few avocado trees going in my enclosures right now. Ferns are good for montane species as a low to mid canopy ground cover. If your intent is to save money just keep your eye out for things that grow in your area, then do the research on toxicity before using them in your enclosure. For store bought, you can really get your money's worth with pothos since it propagates so easily......Almost forgot hosta.....a personal favorite that likes shade in nature, so is a obvious choice for densely planted enclosures.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I am currently experimenting with orchids and other "air plants" that do not utilize soil in nature.

wallmart sells small pothos and schefferas(check spelling) for $3.88 each, cheapest things in my cham set up so far lol

I agree that live plants are the only way to go. Even the nicest fake plants still look terrible. When all else fails just get a couple of pothos plants. They are cheap and plentiful.

I have a pothos and schfleurra just sitting in an enclosure with a hibiscus next to it. They're all outside next to the garden just in case I find a Cham I can't refuse. Otherwise I'm waiting until the end of September...

They are as coincidence would have it sitting next to the tomatoes and doing great.

If you buy from any big stores like Walmart be sure to re pot it with organic soil/ fertilizer. I'm pretty sure the majority of these store use harsh chemicals. If you have any around I'd suggest local nurseries- supporting local is always best and they can tell you exactly what kind of stuff they use on every plant

If you buy from any big stores like Walmart be sure to re pot it with organic soil/ fertilizer. I'm pretty sure the majority of these store use harsh chemicals. If you have any around I'd suggest local nurseries- supporting local is always best and they can tell you exactly what kind of stuff they use on every plant

even more important is washing the leaves - both sides

Reed orchids work well, giving something to climb up on if stabilized at top. Be careful not to have potting soil that has the little white fertilizer balls in it.

Back
Top Bottom