toenails fungal infection / ambilobe red bar

Svartvintras

Hello , new to forum i need an advice, please
I bought one male Furcifer Pardalis ambilobe red bar 1-1,5 year old (is my first chameleon ever) and the last owner kept him in a melamine enclosure with front from glass but internal sides was made from very nice decorative cement - left,right and back side,dimensions of the cage 100x50x100cm.After few days i realised that chameleon don't have long toenails just very short ones.This last owner told me that is possible to blunt his toenails on decorative cement.Is possible from that cause blunt his toenails and got infection same time ?Here where i live is not any specilized vet on reptiles but anyway i consulted some vets and advice me to use Lamisil cream for chameleon' s toenails because it seems to have a fungal infection.
So,please any advice is welcome .thank you very much for your support !

Some additional words about :
*My cage is entirely made from melamine except front which is from glass.
*Dimensions : 90x60x100
*Live plants : Ficus benjamina =1, Schefflera=4,Chamadorea=2 / many twigs to climb
*UVB reptiglo 5.0 from Exoterra (2 pieces x 18W)
*JBL Microcalcium and JBL Terra Vit
* Cage Temperature : 27,8C for day and 19,8C for night (i have a habistat pulse proportional thermostat because i use a ceramic heater 100W)
*The room where is the cage have low traffic and temperature is 20C plus or minus 3-4 celsius degree.

Their nails should not be messed with! What ever is doing this to his nails should be removed first and foremost! As far as the infection, I don't know! Hopefully you can find a vet! Good luck!
maybe one of the seniors can advise!

first of all, thanks for your reply and advice larrodinero
Now, i know that i forgot to mention more info so if is needed i can provide any additional info regards my chameleon and cage and so on
I attach some photos with chameleon and with one of his worst toenails that everybody can see what is all about .Maybe somebody have already the same problem like me and fixed it and can advice me properly.
My location is Romania , city Bucharest.Thank you once again in advance for support.

Attachments

• Furcifer Pardalis.jpg
    Furcifer Pardalis.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 20141220_100157.jpg
    20141220_100157.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20141220_100206.jpg
    20141220_100206.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 20141220_100214.jpg
    20141220_100214.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 20141220_100224.jpg
    20141220_100224.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 130
first of all, thanks for your reply and advice larrodinero
Now, i know that i forgot to mention more info so if is needed i can provide any additional info regards my chameleon and cage and so on
I attach some photos with chameleon and with one of his worst toenails that everybody can see what is all about .Maybe somebody have already the same problem like me and fixed it and can advice me properly.
My location is Romania , city Bucharest.Thank you once again in advance for support.

Not sure I see an infection, but chances are your cham either broke off the claws or they were worn down to nubs. They probably won't grow any longer. Are his toes swollen or stiff? If not, I don't think there's an active infection to treat. To help him climb around, choose cage branches that are smaller in diameter so he can curl his entire foot around them to help him grip securely. Also, provide a lot of branches in the cage so he can move around more easily and catch himself if he falls.

i'm sorry for very late reply thanks for your thoughts Carlton but in the meantime i use like treatment for my chameleon a medicine called Lamisil cream for 10 days and i think more for sure that is a improvement .Please check the pictures ,(the pictures are taken from the same back foot and if you will look at the toenail on the side where chamelon have two fingers will see the difference). Maybe will help another chameleon keepers from the forum in the future with my story ! once again sorry for very late reply .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-15-10-55-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-15-10-55-18.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_2015-01-15-10-55-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-15-10-55-38.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_2015-01-15-10-56-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-15-10-56-44.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 87
I see a difference where the nails suppose to be, in the first pictures the nubs look dark, but cant see the infection, and on the second pictures the nubs look whiter and still no infection, the nails are worn down and from what i have read they won't likely grow back

Sana

If the toes are swollen at all then there is likely infection and the pus will need to be cleaned out by a vet and a culture and sensitivity test done to determine the medication needed to get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom