Toe Issue

alexbrock

A member just noticed my little Nosy Be has an issue with his toe. Does anyone have experience with this and how to treat it? I'm very concerned...:confused:

P1000808.jpg

Perhaps he got his nail caught in the screen as climbed around on it... heard of this happening

Howdy Alex,

Are there any issues with the other toes? If it is a compression/friction issue related to improper vine diameter and excessive dampness then changing those parameters will help. As was mentioned, if he spends a lot of time climbing on the screen then he might have damaged it that way. Clean it with your favorite antiseptic and then carefully coat it with a thin layer (dries quicker if thin) or two of a brush-on product like New-Skin for example. That will protect it from further exposure while it heals but you'll need to eliminate the injury mechanism or it will repeat :(.

Example of New-Skin product:
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/s...68&productId=217968&navAction=jump&navCount=3

Close-up of a good foot for reference:
(Notice the coated 1/8"x1/8" screen for minimizing friction injuries)
RR-cropped-ReducedRes.jpg

Howdy Alex,

Are there any issues with the other toes? If it is a compression/friction issue related to improper vine diameter and excessive dampness then changing those parameters will help. As was mentioned, if he spends a lot of time climbing on the screen then he might have damaged it that way. Clean it with your favorite antiseptic and then carefully coat it with a thin layer (dries quicker if thin) or two of a brush-on product like New-Skin for example. That will protect it from further exposure while it heals but you'll need to eliminate the injury mechanism or it will repeat :(.

Example of New-Skin product:
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/s...68&productId=217968&navAction=jump&navCount=3

Close-up of a good foot for reference:
(Notice the coated 1/8"x1/8" screen for minimizing friction injuries)
RR-cropped-ReducedRes.jpg

Thank you very much!! This was very helpful info. I will be posting a pic shortly, the best I could do, and hopefully it will help. It was a dark color yesterday, and today it is more white. I have no idea what that means.

Ouch that does not look like it feels good:eek: i dont think a vet visit is really worth it unless it starts to get an infection so just try and keep it clean and itll heal just like a burn or a cut would but ive never had a problem like that but theoretically it should heal up.

I don't know, it looks pretty gnarly to me. It might possibly already be infected by that funky discoloration.

What would your suggestion be? Vet time?

Probably :/ If my fingers looked like that I would go to the doctor to get them checked out. It could be that he's torn his nails from the "root" but not completely off or who knows, but the ugly color makes me nervous. He's so little that I don't know what they could do but they might prescribe some Baytril or something as an antibiotic just in case.

How long ago did the toe start looking like that?

Basically you have two options...
Treat it yourself and hope that there was no bacteria in it that spread to the rest of the body....or take it to a vet to have it treated there and the chameleon put on antibiotics. Its kind of a crap shoot....can't tell you what the odds are that there was any bacteria involved.

How long ago did the toe start looking like that?

Basically you have two options...
Treat it yourself and hope that there was no bacteria in it that spread to the rest of the body....or take it to a vet to have it treated there and the chameleon put on antibiotics. Its kind of a crap shoot....can't tell you what the odds are that there was any bacteria involved.

It happened 2 days ago, right after he shed.

Howdy Alex,

While it is possible that the injury is friction related, I also wonder if it is the result of some kind of nail trauma that went all the way to the root. That nail almost looks like it is snapped sideways :confused:. The nail next to it looks like it has some involvement which may either mean that it was also traumatized or it is not from a mechanical injury but it is some kind of infection spreading to it. Your photo was very helpful and maybe taking another in a few days will show which direction things are heading. Either way, a vet can get an even better look at the nails and maybe determine the type of problem and treat sooner than later. The vet may suggest both topical and internal antibiotics just in case. I hope there isn't some level of internal breakage :(.

Howdy Alex,

While it is possible that the injury is friction related, I also wonder if it is the result of some kind of nail trauma that went all the way to the root. That nail almost looks like it is snapped sideways :confused:. The nail next to it looks like it has some involvement which may either mean that it was also traumatized or it is not from a mechanical injury but it is some kind of infection spreading to it. Your photo was very helpful and maybe taking another in a few days will show which direction things are heading. Either way, a vet can get an even better look at the nails and maybe determine the type of problem and treat sooner than later. The vet may suggest both topical and internal antibiotics just in case. I hope there isn't some level of internal breakage :(.

I will treat him for a couple more days to see if it betters, but will take him in. I definitely do not want him to get worse and suffer. Thanks for all your help.

Hey alexbrock, I surely miss that! Use some antiseptic and then some liquid bandage. Keep an eye on it for a couple of days, and if it does not get better -but I think it will- you may have to go see a vet...

Back
Top Bottom