to much vitamins/calcium??

scooter4n

Established Member
My Vailed is 3-4 months old.
I was dusting his cricks every time I feed him with calcium and 2-3 times a week with vitamins.
is it bad if you over powder???

Yes it is bad to over supplement. This can cause all kinds of problems. This is probably the hardest on the liver as it is the organ left to clean up the mess.

Assuming that the calcium supplement is phosphorus-free with D3 at that age and species no that is not to much in my opinion. With the vitamin maybe once every other week or once a month. If you can work in some variety in the gut loading this will usually supply them with enough variety in the way of vitamins, minerals, stuff like that so that the multi vitamins can be used sparingly. Really until he can move onto larger prey I would keep the calcium like that. Pinhead-1/2" crickets I just can not see gut loading worth a crap. They are growing too. Once your male gets some size, the feeders get bigger, then I would even back off on the calcium supplements too. Really you may be able to get away with less calcium supplementation on the feeders but with some of the figures I have seen in regards to feeders make up I just play it safe in those ages. An adult veiled male is commonly recommended to be supplement Ca once a week and multivitamins once a month.

scooter4n said..."vitamin is phosphorous free"...is the calcium phosphorous free?

I have kept veileds for years and I only use the calcium with D3 twice a month....and then only because my chameleons get no or little sunlight.

I dust with phos.-free calcium at most feedings to help make up for the fact that the insects have a poor ratio of cal. to phos. This will automatically decrease with the age of the chameleon because I feed babies every day and by the time they are adults they get fed every two to three days.

I use vitamins twice a month...the kind that have a beta carotene source of vitamin A.

Regarding gutloading...I do it for all sizes of crickets (and other insects). I want my crickets (and other insects) to have the appropriate nutrients/vitamins/minerals to ensure that they are healthy....and whatever the gut contains when the cricket (and other insects) is eaten will add to the chameleon's diet as well.

Sorry, I was talking about calcium Phosphorous free.
Let me make it clear then.

Calcium with D3 twice a month.
Phos. free calcium every feeding.
vitamins twice a month.

Did I understand correctly??
Thanks for your help.

Yup!

As he becomes full-grown, the feedings can be done less frequently which will cut the amount of calcium down slightly. My adults get fed two or three times a week.

I tap 1/3 of the powder in my dusting cup as vitamin the other 2/3 is calcium without phosphorous..............I do that 2 times a week for all my little guys.

A tiny bit goes a looooooong way in my dusting cup and I try to get them to eat out of my had when i give dusted stuff so I know they get some in their system.

scooter4n said..."vitamin is phosphorous free"...is the calcium phosphorous free?

I have kept veileds for years and I only use the calcium with D3 twice a month....and then only because my chameleons get no or little sunlight.

I dust with phos.-free calcium at most feedings to help make up for the fact that the insects have a poor ratio of cal. to phos. This will automatically decrease with the age of the chameleon because I feed babies every day and by the time they are adults they get fed every two to three days.

I use vitamins twice a month...the kind that have a beta carotene source of vitamin A.

Regarding gutloading...I do it for all sizes of crickets (and other insects). I want my crickets (and other insects) to have the appropriate nutrients/vitamins/minerals to ensure that they are healthy....and whatever the gut contains when the cricket (and other insects) is eaten will add to the chameleon's diet as well.

Sorry, calcium with D3 with phosphorus or without???

Thanks

phosphorous-free calcium/D3. I never think to mention that. Since the calcium I use is phosphorous free, I just assumed that people would figure that out.

Phosphorus is a mineral found in bones. Along with calcium, phosphorus is needed for building healthy strong bones. Phos. plays a part in other functions in the body too.

Calcium and phos. need to be in balance.

Do you guys use rep-cal products. I am using rep-cal calcium with d3, phosphorous free calcium, and herptavite. Does that cover all of their vitamin needs?

Back
Top Bottom