To hot?

Curtis James

Established Member
Just wondering if my 160 watt bulb is going to be to hot for my 4-5 month old blue veiled chameleon? Should I get smaller? Or just hang higher?
3aqy7ese.jpg

nice looking cham, you can do either, just check the care sheet and make sure you have age appropriate temps.

Measure the actual temperature at the perch closest to the bulb and check the correct basking temp listed in the basic care sheet for veileds. If it is too hot, move the bulb farther away. If your cham climbs around on the top screen measure the temps there too. IMHO, but without knowing anything else about your setup I would think that's way too much bulb for a 4-5 month old cham. It is better to err on cooler side (the cham will just bask a little longer) than the hotter side and cause a burn.

I like the larger mesh as long as it doesn't cut their feet. I had one who lost a couple nails climbing the screen. I built her a cage with plastic mesh about the same size as what you used and the frame is PVC.

The only down side is that you need to hand feed or cup feed of the bugs will just leave the cage.

Yeah I built it, would anyone recommend a more messed together screen? Or keep screen how is?

just mesure the temp and go to care sheet that will help you :) loving your baby I'm sooo wanting my baby veiled to be so big like yours (i think is big or a close up :D) mine is little like 3 inches :/ yet

BTW can you help me know what did u use to build your cage? I'm planning to make one and yours look really awesome and simple to built (i think) :D

Yeah the build was pretty easy. It did take some time tho. Got all my supplies at menards! I went with 2x2's for my wood choice. I built the cage at 48in high x 24in for length/width. Then I went with a tub for the bottom that I can take in and out for cleaning. And went with wire screen. I think after all building materials. Came to 90$

ate2y8u9.jpg

Yeah the build was pretty easy. It did take some time tho. Got all my supplies at menards! I went with 2x2's for my wood choice. I built the cage at 48in high x 24in for length/width. Then I went with a tub for the bottom that I can take in and out for cleaning. And went with wire screen. I think after all building materials. Came to 90$

ate2y8u9.jpg

pretty awesome! thanks! i really like it a lot! is simple and just the perfect size :)

I was thinking about something just like that but with a smaller wire screen cuz my baby is to small for that size and all the mosquitoes and lizards in PR (yeah inside yet we get some of those visitors lol):D

Yeah I was thinking smaller screen to. I actually bought some today. But I'm not sure if I want to put it on.. I enjoy him with the screen that's on now. Or do I cover what I have now with screen to make him find his food to hunt. Thoughts...

Back
Top Bottom