To gutload or not to gutload a phoenix worm? That is the question..:)

Rescuemom03

So everyone, I've been reading up on how to gutload different insects for my little cham Beans to give her some variety. I came across phoenix worms and there are many people on many different areas of the web giving instructions on how to gutload them. However, I was on their website...www.phoenixworm.com and their FAQ page says definitely do not gutload.....and for a reason. This is taken from their page.

"Q: What is the sawdust-like stuff in the cups? Is this food for the worms? Do I need to feed them anything?
A: The packing material is an organic medium but it is not food or sawdust. Do NOT feed Phoenix Worms anything. Phoenix Worms are shipped purged (gut is empty). If you feed them, it will restart the worms' digestive system, the worms will defecate and foul the media, and this can allow the growth of bacteria, fungus, and other problems. Just add a few drops of water if the media/worms begin to appear too dry."

So my question is guys....do I gutload them or not? Are they super nutritious without the gutload? And if so, why are we even bothering with crickets? ha ha. Just kidding, I'm not giving up on crickets, but is this a super easy feeder? What do you guys think?

If you gut load be prepared for the smell, it smells like crap to be honest..
Thanks for the heads up! Lol. I definitely don't plan to gutload them. I have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a chameleon n my house. I have enough things that smell like crap. Ha ha .

If you gutload, they will eventually turn into a Black Soldier Fly. Just gotta keep their food fresh and you won't have any worries about smell or bacteria buildup

If you gutload, they will eventually turn into a Black Soldier Fly. Just gotta keep their food fresh and you won't have any worries about smell or bacteria buildup
Thank you! I appreciate the reply. Might try that later on. I'm interested to see if she eats the worm first. Thanks again!

Common sense suggests that the longer they go without food, the poorer the nutrient quality of the larvae. I also doubt they have been fed a particularly nutritious food unless the supplier is using something like the refuse from restaurants or the garbage collection of composting material that some cities do.

The supplier has a motive for you to not feed them. If you do feed them and don't manage them well, you will have a really disgusting stinky mess. They are much easier to deal within a damp deli cup, so you will likely buy them again.

The larvae live in piles of rotting fruit and vegetables. They will do just fine with all the bacteria and fungi present during the decomposition of organic material. If I feed larvae I've collected from my compost bin, I will rinse them off, put them in a container and feed them only good stuff for a couple of days and keep them clean. I feed them straight out of the bin to my chickens and chicks, disgusting rotting compost and all, but chickens eat anything they find while chameleons only eat live insects so might not be able to handle what is in the gut of a natural black soldier fly larvae.

A word of warning--that stinky slimy soup they turn compost into does not wash off your hands. Wear gloves or the smell will stay on your hands for quite a long time, regardless of how many times you wash.

They are incredible composting machines and will turn fresh vegetable matter into compost in weeks, not months. The problem with giving them food is that they also seem to produce a lot of liquid, so if you feed them, you might end up with a foul-smelling soup. To me, they defy the laws of physics with their ability to eat fruit and vegetables and end up with soup. You can avoid that by adding a thick layer of coco fiber at the bottom of the container.

They are amazing escape artists, flattening out and seeping out of what should be a sealed lid.

For the first time, I bought some commercial black soldier fly larvae. Normally, I collect them from my compost bin. I tend to only feed them after they have turned into flies. I will be setting up some sort of bin for them and feeding them healthy food.

If your chameleon doesn't eat the worms, grow them up into flies. I have a few containers with coco fiber at the bottom that are still producing flies. Chameleons LOVE flies, and black soldier flies are slow moving and are not bothersome if they escape the way house flies are. They look like black wasps, but are completely harmless.

I pull out a bunch that plan on feeding in the next few days and put them in a container. Usually 1" pieces of kale, Apple, raspberries. I change it every day or 2 and its fine. No soup and fat larvae. Since I order a 100 at a time. Im just going to put them all in and change the for o every few days. Boba loves them even more. Especially today's. They're I fresh Rasberries since last night. I just mushed em a bit.

Back
Top Bottom