To Bite or not to Bite, that is the question...

BoyGeorge

I work in an aquatics store and we just bought in a load of new reptiles. We ordered in a veiled Cham and during his time at my work I became atached to him and handled him daily, took the duty of looking after him feeding him etc. While he was in the shop he would happily come out and be handled. He never bit, or hissed. I decided I would have to buy him so that some child didnt ask their parents to buy it so that he could neglect it. Anyway I got him home and settled him in. But recently he has started hissing at me and trying to bite me. I never used to have this problem. Is it somthing I have done or do Chams just develop this teritorial instincts at a certain age?

Sorry bout the spelling but im just lazy :)

Welcome to the boards! Thanks for posting! Please don't view this as a discouagement but remember that the search for the forums function is very handy.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-veiled-turned-me-16044/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/veiled-chameleon-aggression-9236/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-chameleon-hates-me-14170/

Essentially, it's totally normal, you didn't do anything wrong, his hatred for you may continue to grow and burn in his little lizard heart, or he'll calm down. It could go either way, but in the meantime get used to his evil eye because you're gonna see it a lot.

Watch your fingers! snap! snap! ;)

Last edited:
As a general guess I'd say it's not likely. I've heard of very few 'calm' male veilds. Sandy's guido comes to mind and he's the only one I can think of.

As he grows, his bite will get more and more worth avoiding, and he'll become not only more aggresive but more bold. My veiled once leapt out of his cage onto my hat in my hand and began attacking it because it had plaid blue colors under the bill. He bit and shook like a dog. It was incredible.

Don't click if you don't want to see gore.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/she-bit-crap-out-12332/

I may be wrong (I keep panthers, not vields) but I suspect that if you move very slowly around him, and if you can get him to associate you with food being brought to him, you may get less aggressive behaviours.

For me, with panthers, the males are generally friendly and females pissy. But they all went through a teen-age period where their moods were.... let's say negative.

You may want to invest in smooth leather gloves ;)

Alot of veiled owners actually use a thick style of gloves for handling. I know I do! Although, the glove only upsets my guy even more. Sometimes he approaches me when I have his viv open and wants to climb out. Really its up to them if you will get along together. Just keep treating him right and hopefully he will calm down.

As male veileds grow older. They go one of two ways. Nice or aggressive. Sounds like your guy is heading down the aggressive path. I have three male veileds. One is a gentle giant 2 year old and the other two are young adults who will open their mouths at me when I go to pick them up. As soon as I pick them up, their attitudes change for the better. So, I consider myself lucky to have some "good" veileds.

The only thing that really pisses off my veiled male is a glove. I had a thick leather glove on once and he bit it so hard my finger hurt for a long time after. He calmed right down when I took the glove off.

My veileds are very friendly and never been aggressive. I guess it just depends on the cham.

i own 2

i own a male an female yemen i have never had any problems with the male he is great he greets me at the door and always lets me clean his viv he has never hissed at me or shown any aggressive behaviour towards me but then there is the female she wont let me get anywere near her she hisses rocks and tries to bite me all the time as much as i try get her out (everyday) the worse she gets lol she was attacked when she was a few weeks old by the male so not sure if this has something to do with it but she is a nightmare espically when i want to breed them very soon if you have any advice on how i try breed them please let us know thanks

Back
Top Bottom