Tips for acclimatizing "taming" a chameleon?

D4saken1

Hello again all,

I made a post recently about Shrek aka Ogre. The new Warty Chamelon I recently acquired.

He has adjusted well to his setup and is eating well and is quite curious. However and not unsurprising he is still not okay with people.

I don't expect him to be some cuddle buddy or like a bearded dragon, I've just been wondering if there are any tips to get him to feel safer and that I am less of a threat. He does well when I get his food (he does hate his mistings, good water temp or not).

If it's near his bed time forget about it!

I have his food out of the way so I don't have to get to close and bother him but he did bite me pretty good when I was taking his water filter out and his food bowl for the weekly cleaning.

So overall I just wondered if there was any way I could help make him more comfortable, he actually came out on his own today into my hand but he got riled up by a sneeze when he got to my shoulder and that was that, hah!

I was debating a tree stand with foliage near his enclosure I could leave open on occasion so he could explore and look around a bit if he wanted.

I don't really handle him and don't intend to stress him out more than I should. A friend said if I handle him it needs to be more than a few minutes otherwise it's like washing a car and driving through a mud puddle, but I haven't taken that to heart and wondered on the rare occasion he is good to come out on his own if a longer period is better.

Sorry for the ramble post!

Edit: I figured time is a big factor and I haven't been pushing anything since he hasn't been home long at all, hence why I was shocked he actually came out on his own, I just wanted ideas to move forward on this slow process.

^when he came out to crawl on me, post sneeze upset^

^when I came in to get him^

Was he WC? Sorry, don't recall what you originally said. I've kept one male wc verrucosus. He was never great around people. He wasn't pissy or aggressive, but pretty shy and stressed out easily the entire time I owned him (about 3 years). It could be that he is just now starting to feel territorial in his new home and resenting your intrusions. A lot of that may be just the way he is. You can continue to help him settle by keeping your daily chores to some sort of schedule and automating as much of the daily cage routine (lights on or off, misting) as you can. Keep offering him favorite feeders either in a hand held cup or by hand alone. At first he might be more willing to take the feeder from a hand held cup. I do not agree with the suggestion that you need to lengthen the amount of time you hold him. He'll just get that much more upset and get upset quicker.

My veiled is an angry guy lol he never likes being handled. I’m not around him much because I work all day so it’s understandable. He hand feeds so I’ll take that. Sometimes I get him out and put him on a perch above my window curtains I made for him. He loves that. But never comes out on his own and always flairs up and hisses at me. Still love the little guy though

Yes he is WC, sorry I didn't restate. And makes sense that since he is settling in he is going "This is my swamp!". I think it just depends on the day or his mood.

If it makes sense it seems like he wants to explore some and watch in an investigative manner not so much a keep an eye on the big predators way. All speculation of course. I think I'm going to try to make him a perch and set up a bigger enclosure for him sooner than later.

Good idea, I use wax worms as a treat for my crested geckos when I need to check them or handle. They love them so little pigs are usually more than happy to be handled for a juicy worm.

Ill have to experiment to see what he likes best as a treat bug I can use with him.

I always have 2-3 food groups.

Feeders for the cage that can run around
Feeders for the feeder cup for cup training
Feeders for tong/hand training

If you want that super/silkie/butter, you better learn to like the hand/tongs :)
That is an interesting idea, neat!

I always have 2-3 food groups.

Feeders for the cage that can run around
Feeders for the feeder cup for cup training
Feeders for tong/hand training

If you want that super/silkie/butter, you better learn to like the hand/tongs :)

So which feeders do you use for each?

So which feeders do you use for each?

In the cage its banded crickets since they hang out on top unlike house crickets that hide under things. I used to also have the green banana roaches for the cage.

Cup (with screen in it) is dubia and meal worms/ super worms. The mix helps them learn to eat dubia, because they will miss the active worms and get a mouth full of dubia

tong and hand is any soft feeder. I will also tong feed the male dubia since if you get them by the wings they wiggle alot.

I’m going to try this. Haven’t purchased any roaches yet. I have been hand feeding my superworms because that’s the only thing he takes from my hand. I just bought some hornworms and I am thinking about letting them turn into moths and trying that too

So Shrek and I have made progress.

Getting through those onion layers.

He's seeming to stop seeing me as a predatory threat it seems.

Guy even went into shed and didn't take lunges or puff up at my intrusion to reset his feeders and clean his cage bottom.

Poor guy had a bit of his she'd actually slip into his eye slit and it was irritating him so I took him out and removed it. Had a good moment and he chilled. Wanted to give him a hornworms treat but he isn't trusting enough to hand or tong feed yet.

Random little progress but since he is WC I'm glad we have been making slow progress and he isn't getting any high amount of stress.

My goal is to have him handleable and feel safe around me but not to try to make him into something he isn't like a bearded dragon level of friendly. One day I want to show that Verrucosis are a great Cham and have him be a semi ambassador if possible. (Though I don't intend to let people pet or hold him like I do my ambassador snakes and lizards.)

Cup feeding is a good way to get them used to you
Do you mean just putting feeders in a cup and holding it out for them to eat? He's been pretty secretive about his eating so it may be hard to nail down. Thank you for the advice!

Ya, i just rip the legs off of the crickets so they can't hop out. Maybe start by mounting the cup in the cage first so he gets used to it, then work your way up to holding it.

Ya, i just rip the legs off of the crickets so they can't hop out. Maybe start by mounting the cup in the cage first so he gets used to it, then work your way up to holding it.
Oh well then I am ahead there. He is cup fed already by one I have hanging until I buy something better soon so he should already feel fine about eating from it alone. Should make the next step easier to move along on.

Back
Top Bottom