Tip Of The Week - PT 3

Psychobunny

Avid Member
Hey, 2 tips in one!!
Both from other members, who should step forward and take a bow for their
excellent ideas :)

First tip is this fantastic and simple idea to stimulate a drinking response from
stubborn chams, you know the old saying; 'you can lead a cham to water, but you cant make him drink"! :rolleyes:

You will need a dripper with the drip end poking through the top and dripping down on a fake leaf, which has been hot-glued into a (preferably very colorful) plastic bottle cap, which it's self is attached to a sturdy branch.
I use a little ball of Blu-Tack (the stuff with a million uses!, bet they don't have this one on their list!! :eek: ).

Set up so dripper drips on top of leaf, water runs down into can, cap overflows, and cascades down onto other lower leaves like a baby water fall.

My chams LOVE this! and I FINALLY get to see them drink!!

Squee Jr. is crazy about his, as you can see in this pic, he guards his dripper
with his life! :D
He laps the water right out of the cap, like a cat lapping up water from a bowl!
Before putting this in, I never say him drink!
Now, the white urates are huge, and nice white color! one less thing to worry about!

Second tip was PM'd to me from Thegreatfonz .

It's really more a suggestion then a tip, but is something that is easy to overlook;
Don't depend on your visual cleaning inspection too much.

Feel under stuff, leaves, branches which get wet a lot, and are not in full view.
They may be covered with a thin layer of slimy mold which you would never be able to see.

So, don't just eye-ball, get in there and feel around ;)

Attachments

• Squeejr and dripper.jpg
    Squeejr and dripper.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 107
Thanks, it works very well, but if you are glueing the leaf in the cap w/
hot glue, be sure to 'rough-up' any slippery surface's with a piece of sandpaper to give the glue something to 'stick' to.
Otherwise, the leaf will fall out.

It's so cool to watch a cham drink from a little bowl, like a cat :D

Your avatar is creepin me out. I think i would rather endure torture than stare at that pix for 5min.

LOL!! the original didnt have eyes, someone 'photoshoped' them in, and it
does make it alot more creepy.
I have gotten some positive feedback though.

But if someone else chimes in that it freaks them out too, I will take it down.

Your avatar is creepin me out. I think i would rather endure torture than stare at that pix for 5min.

LOL! Yes, that avatar is quite freaky!

As for the tips, I love the idea with the water! Two of my chams are "stubborn" drinkers. I am definitely going to give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing!

it was me, and my paranoia - I was afraid the water would run off faster than they could get a drink outside- so ALL know this as a water source - same w/ their food cups that way I can put anyone out in any f/r, and they still know where to get the water, I also use them inside too- just dont forget to let them dry - or change them out - I take Max about everyplace I go, I even have a modified branch that fits my arm rest, he just cruses along - lol if I am gone for hours ( like going to my Mom & Dads) I take a cap w/ me, so I can water him- I just hold it to his face, and he will drink , and there is no mess :)

*ps - keep your avatar !! lol its so crazy - I love it

:D I tried making the leaf with the bottle cap but it just splattered water everywhere lol. My cham was definitely curious about it though, maybe I just need a better place for it. And thanks for adding my tip psycho! Like he said it is very easy to look at your cage and assume it's clean (I know I did) but once you actually start to take things down and feel around that you realize actually how dirty these cages can become.

So I moved the leaf in a better place but all he did was huff at it twice and then turned and walked away:rolleyes:

it was me, and my paranoia - I was afraid the water would run off faster than they could get a drink outside- so ALL know this as a water source - same w/ their food cups that way I can put anyone out in any f/r, and they still know where to get the water, I also use them inside too- just dont forget to let them dry - or change them out - I take Max about everyplace I go, I even have a modified branch that fits my arm rest, he just cruses along - lol if I am gone for hours ( like going to my Mom & Dads) I take a cap w/ me, so I can water him- I just hold it to his face, and he will drink , and there is no mess :)

*ps - keep your avatar !! lol its so crazy - I love it

Hi LF, I remember now! it was your brainstorm :)
What a great way to get them familiar with drinking from a container :D

Now, even Smeagie (he's a bit slow!LOL) drinks from small containers, as long as they are about the same color as his red cap :rolleyes:
So, I can leave him out all day on the free range and put his water in one of his favorite hangouts (laying accross the UV fixture on top of Noogies cage! ;) ).

I have been using a baby ear syringe to remove the water, and paper towel to dry, but I like your idea of flipping it over even better :)

What if I put 2 little holes in the cap, stick a thin wire tie through it, and twist it around the branch?
I should be able to flip it!?

And thanks, my creepy avatar will stay put, at least untill I can get a really nice pic of one of my guyz :cool:

Back
Top Bottom