Tiny World

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
I forgot that I have appleTV until last night. Was about to cancel until a chameleon caught my eye. If you are subscribed to appleTV, make sure to check out Tiny World. I’ve so far only watched the ‘Dunes’ episode, which showed the namaqua chameleon. About to watch the ‘Rainforest’ episode which is Madagascar. Doesn’t go into great details about the animals, but is entertaining. Although I never knew that there’s a desert-dwelling chameleon.

I just learned about a new (to me) species too. The Tiger Chameleon.

No, not this one:
1625501247983.png

THIS one—Tiger Chameleon ( Archaius tigris ) a.k.a. Seychelles tiger chameleonthe only species in its genus:
1625501297593.png

There ares some older mentions/threads in the archives, but not much real info., likely because they only live on 3 islands far NNE of Madagascar, and are endangered.

Yep, Archaius tigris is a beauty! When terra.kultur (mentioned above) first got his A. tigris several months ago, I contacted him and got the name of the breeder who sold them to him. At the request of this breeder, he wishes that his name stays anonymous, but he has given me permission to share His photos on the forums. A. tigris is a species that I have been looking at closely for a while now, and wish to do an import sometime in the future. The A. tigris breeder (not terra.kultur) has several breeding pairs to ensure genetic diversity. I plan to move in about six months or so. Once that occurs, I plan on pursuing A. tigris through importation. It will be expensive, so start saving your money now if this species interests you. I'll post something in the classified section of the forums in a month or two to start seeing who would be interested. This species comes from the Seychelles Islands which have high humidity and temps ranging from 68-80F. This species doesn't require much of a nighttime drop at all--making it ideal for captivity.

Photos from the Breeder overseas (//these are not my photos):
**Males have the white lips and a bit more differentiation in color while the females are more uniform in color and have yellow-ish lips.
received_470857860847516 (1).jpeg

received_220073019911252.jpeg

received_281862593497481.jpeg

received_1130133784169591.jpg

received_1087494761736464.jpeg

received_1755636197943309.jpeg

received_287364523010268.jpeg

This is a small species of chameleon and can comfortably fit in a 18x18x36. Obviously, bigger is better (...obviously).

If you are on Instagram, go ahead and give @terra.kultur a follow. He has some A. tigris from the breeder mentioned above. I'll post some of his pics below.

terra.kultur photos:
Screenshot_20210619-014315_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210621-130401_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210621-130434_Instagram.jpg

It can be done I think. The chinchilla breeder I know got his herd from Poland. They are Black Perl Chinchillas
It definitely can be done. The breeder I have been talking to has done it before in small numbers in the past. Probably to some small private collection. He has a network and has been in contact with a shipping company. If anyone here is interested, let me know.

Yep, Archaius tigris is a beauty! When terra.kultur (mentioned above) first got his A. tigris several months ago, I contacted him and got the name of the breeder who sold them to him. At the request of this breeder, he wishes that his name stays anonymous, but he has given me permission to share His photos on the forums. A. tigris is a species that I have been looking at closely for a while now, and wish to do an import sometime in the future. The A. tigris breeder (not terra.kultur) has several breeding pairs to ensure genetic diversity. I plan to move in about six months or so. Once that occurs, I plan on pursuing A. tigris through importation. It will be expensive, so start saving your money now if this species interests you. I'll post something in the classified section of the forums in a month or two to start seeing who would be interested. This species comes from the Seychelles Islands which have high humidity and temps ranging from 68-80F. This species doesn't require much of a nighttime drop at all--making it ideal for captivity.

Photos from the Breeder overseas (//these are not my photos):
**Males have the white lips and a bit more differentiation in color while the females are more uniform in color and have yellow-ish lips.
View attachment 304942
View attachment 304943
View attachment 304944
View attachment 304945
View attachment 304946
View attachment 304947
View attachment 304948

This is a small species of chameleon and can comfortably fit in a 18x18x36. Obviously, bigger is better (...obviously).

If you are on Instagram, go ahead and give @terra.kultur a follow. He has some A. tigris from the breeder mentioned above. I'll post some of his pics below.

terra.kultur photos:
View attachment 304949
View attachment 304950
View attachment 304951
Wow incredible. So are you thinking about importing and breeding? Are these live bearers or egg layers? How big are they?

Wow incredible. So are you thinking about importing and breeding? Are these live bearers or egg layers? How big are they?
Yes, my focus would be on breeding them. I plan on getting two completely unrelated pairs so that I can breed the offspring as well. They are egg layers, and the adults reach about 6 inches in total length. Like most chameleons out there, the length depends on the specific locale. The green locale gets a bit larger but is even more rarely seen than the (dare I say) common orangeish-yellow form.

I think this species would do quite well in most people's homes as they don't need to focus on nighttime drops. 68F is good enough and sometimes doesn't even drop that low in the Seychelles. They can safely take temps down to 64F. I'm sure they could go lower, but no one has tested it out, and at the moment there is no need to. If you look up the temps for the island of Mahe for today, the high is 76F and the low is 70F with an average of 73% humidity (69% low and 77% high). They are pretty much like a panther chameleon but in a much smaller package--and even less dependent on the nighttime drops.

Yep, Archaius tigris is a beauty! When terra.kultur (mentioned above) first got his A. tigris several months ago, I contacted him and got the name of the breeder who sold them to him. At the request of this breeder, he wishes that his name stays anonymous, but he has given me permission to share His photos on the forums. A. tigris is a species that I have been looking at closely for a while now, and wish to do an import sometime in the future. The A. tigris breeder (not terra.kultur) has several breeding pairs to ensure genetic diversity. I plan to move in about six months or so. Once that occurs, I plan on pursuing A. tigris through importation. It will be expensive, so start saving your money now if this species interests you.

I hope derived from one of these legal sources. 🤞

Use and Trade​

No annual CITES export quotas for Archaius tigris have been issued between 2000 and 2014 (CITES 2014). Between 1977 and 2013 a total of 12 live individuals were exported from the Seychelles for the pet trade (total of all personal and commercial exports), of which 2 were exported to Germany in 1981 and 10 to Spain in 1993 (UNEP-WCMC 2014). An additional 98 dead specimens were exported between 1981 and 2010 for scientific or zoological purposes, along with a single live specimen in 1982 for scientific purposes (UNEP-WCMC 2014). No other trade is reported out of the Seychelles, although re-export of specimens imported to Germany and Spain has been reported to Switzerland and South Africa, respectively (UNEP-WCMC 2014). This species is present and available in limited quantities in the European pet trade (C. Anderson pers. obs. 2014), and illegal trade and/or harvest may occur on a limited basis.
https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/61425/54013047

New law in Seychelles to protect giant bronze gecko, tiger chameleon against trafficking

It can be done I think. The chinchilla breeder I know got his herd from Poland. They are Black Perl Chinchillas
IDK if that's an apt analogy. From the quick reading I just did, BP chinchillas were bred in captivity from a recessive gene, and chinchillas don't seem to be an IUCN EN(dangered) category. BICBW. 🤷‍♂️

No, not this one: View attachment 304932

THIS one—Tiger Chameleon ( Archaius tigris ) a.k.a. Seychelles tiger chameleonthe only species in its genus:
View attachment 304933

There ares some older mentions/threads in the archives, but not much real info., likely because they only live on 3 islands far NNE of Madagascar, and are endangered.

No, not this one: View attachment 304932

View attachment 304933

Btw I wasn’t laughing at how it’s endangered I was laughing at first phot

Back
Top Bottom