Timing the Lights?

AZJ0SH

I read you need to do 12 hour cycles of the lights on and off, but do they need to match sunrise and sunset? I don't wake up until around 8am, then I turn on the lights and turn them back off at 8pm.

They don't need to match, but you will notice that if there's a window in the same room that they will respond to natural sunlight outside more than their timed lights sometimes. When it was getting dark early my chams all went to their sleeping spots as the real sun went down, even though their lights were on for several hours after that. Now that it's summer and their lights match natural cycles better they are more active in the evening. The window is across the room from my cages and the blinds are barely open, but they still know!

They don't need to match, but you will notice that if there's a window in the same room that they will respond to natural sunlight outside more than their timed lights sometimes. When it was getting dark early my chams all went to their sleeping spots as the real sun went down, even though their lights were on for several hours after that. Now that it's summer and their lights match natural cycles better they are more active in the evening. The window is across the room from my cages and the blinds are barely open, but they still know!

The apartment stays pretty dark until about 8am, I think I might just do his lights from 7am-7pm for now, I just went and bought a timer.

I used to do 7-7 but its summer and he's more active ever since his last shed. So I gave him another half an hour 7:30-7:30

Fwiw I lengthen the light cycle in the summer by an extra hour, keep it 12/12 and shorten it by an hour in the winter. Trying to simulate natural seasons but who knows whether or not it's beneficial. I would think it would be better for them but who knows! At least it can't hurt :)

Right now I'm at 7am to 8pm. The room has a lot of natural light and they pretty much follow the sun either way. Right before lights out the ambient room light goes down with the sun and they migrate to their sleep spots and curl up. Very cute.

Back
Top Bottom