Timer for Ceramic Heat Emitter?

noahc66

Do I need a timer for a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter? I read somewhere on this site that they (chameleons) should cool down for a bit at night, but other places on the site say different.

I guess. I'm a little confused right now. I am getting a linear uvb light for lighting, so now i need to get something for basking. I was going to get a ceramic because it won't disturb them at night, but he is saying a mercury vapor light is better.

ok so you want the linear Uvb and then a basking bulb for daytime. A white housebulb will do just fine. Why do you feel the need to use heat at night? Why are your night time cage temps? If they are not going to fall below 50 degrees, then I would not add any heat.

ok so you want the linear Uvb and then a basking bulb for daytime. A white housebulb will do just fine. Why do you feel the need to use heat at night? Why are your night time cage temps? If they are not going to fall below 50 degrees, then I would not add any heat.

I misread the caresheets about the whole nighttime thing. So when I get some sort of heating bulb when should it be turned on and off during the day/night?

Yes, you will want a linear tube UVB for UVB lighting and a normal household bulb(40 -100 watts) for the day time basking. You will normally keep these lights on 12 hours a day or match it with your local sunrise/sunset time. If chameleons can cool down during the night time, it help them get a better deeper sleep. Unless you live in a really cool area and your house gets way below 60 Fahrenheit at night, usually you do not need a night time heat source. Remember you want to make sure you light sources are out of reach of your chameleon as they have been known to burn themselves. Hope this helps.

It could be, the main thing is to get the appropriate temp in the basking area for the type of chameleon that you have. So you need a good and accurate way of measuring the temp where the chameleon will bask. Then make appropriate changes whether that's a stronger bulb or the light a little further away from the enclosure, etc.

Back
Top Bottom