Time to upgrade

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
Started to cover and seal the foam. Already used 5 tubes of safe silicon so far. It's really starting to come along. I've also started to mix the substrate up. I'll be doing some trimming on the silicon later to get a cleaner edge.
20210804_185108.jpg
20210804_185115.jpg
20210804_185127.jpg
 

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
Compost, coco fiber, charcoal, sand, a small bag of worm castings, some torn up pieces of driftwood from storage, a bit of crushed pumice, a bit of crushed zeolite and some sphagnum moss. I kinda just mixed together the dry components separate of the damp components before combining in a 3:2 damp to dry ratio. My hope is to jumpstart the whole thing a bit, I've used this mix with other bioactive builds before with great success. The smell of the substrate is basically what the forests on the Olympic peninsula smell like, just missing all the microorganisms.
 
Last edited:

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
Getting closer to finished. Unfortunately I've been working the last few days so progress has slowed. But I have some parts nearing completion. Also managed to build the stand. I'm actually really excited to see it finished as the one portion that is finished looks wonderful with the plant in place.
20210808_190530.jpg
20210808_190913.jpg
 

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
Well despite other things in my life going a bit awry, the new enclosure is essentially ready for final assembly. Also got some springtails and isopods today, still going to acquire some white dwarf isopods.
20210811_161900.jpg
20210811_161912.jpg
 

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I know I did my own substrate mix, but the zeolite was a last minute addition and upon reading up on it, a good choice it will help retain moisture and nutrients for the plants and doesn't break down easily. I still have to figure out a calcium source for the isopods. However I'm at the point where it's just setup and establishment to be done for the they new enclosure.
 

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
The top of the enclosure is now put together. While the seams aren't hidden 100%, they are pretty hard to pick out. Also had to do a slight bit of modification as it didn't fit together perfectly the first time on the right rear seam. On a positive note, the seams will provide a hide in upper areas for the isopods.
20210812_133158.jpg
 
Last edited:

Sonny13

Chameleon Enthusiast
This is going to be amazing 👌🏻👌🏻

Hopefully you will ever see the isopods again, got in all 3 setups a colony of isopods and springtails. The springtails a I spot the instant I raise some leaf litter, the isopods 👀👀🤷🏼‍♂️
 

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
Decided to install the two fake vines, and actually as I add more to the cage, the seams become less noticeable. Now it's off to work for four hours. Upon my return I will be repotting plants and figuring out what plant will go where. Also let Chandler get a test feel and he must approve as I saw him do a few thing's he normally doesn't, namely flare up at me when I went to remove him and do the wobbly forward and back walk chams sometimes do. If Chandler's behavior to the cage without foliage is that, I can't wait to see his response to it when it is complete.

In the mean time, let's play a game of find the seams!
20210812_150535.jpg


Also going to do a rough mockup of plant placement later, the Pothos have designated spots, but the rest I'm not sure yet. I plan on doing a few mockup placements and putting them to vote on the forums.
 
Last edited:

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Decided to install the two fake vines, and actually as I add more to the cage, the seams become less noticeable. Now it's off to work for four hours. Upon my return I will be repotting plants and figuring out what plant will go where. Also let Chandler get a test feel and he must approve as I saw him do a few thing's he normally doesn't, namely flare up at me when I went to remove him and do the wobbly forward and back walk chams sometimes do. If Chandler's behavior to the cage without foliage is that, I can't wait to see his response to it when it is complete.

In the mean time, let's play a game of find the seams!View attachment 307492

Also going to do a rough mockup of plant placement later, the Pothos have designated spots, but the rest I'm not sure yet. I plan on doing a few mockup placements and putting them to vote on the forums.
Looking fantastic! If those are the exo terra vines I would switch them out for the fluckers. The exo jungle vines coating comes off very easily and is a risk for the cham if they rub their eyes on them.
 
Top Bottom