Time of feeding

Rafferty2

Is there a specific time my yemen chameleon (2 year old male) should be fed? Should this be in the morning after he has heated up or can it be in the evening?

Thanks,
R

Definitely should be in the morning. He needs heat from your UVB light to help digest his food. Feeding him at night right before you turn off your light could cause digestive problems.

Early is better! As stated, the heat will aid in digestion (but this comes from the basking bulb ;)) and it is not good to sleep on a full stomach :D.

By the way, this sounds like a simple answer, but the reality of it is that they will eat when they want. My veiled has his food in his feeding cup early but if he decides not to eat until later on its fine. He is over one year old now so doesn't eat every day.

Also, welcome to the forums!!!

Lots of great info and people here.

Here are some links to veiled care that are very useful if you have not already seen them...

Veiled care sheet...https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

and the care resource page...https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

I agree with the last post! As he said the Cham will eat when he want to but should still be offered earlier in the day to help with digestion. Would it not be a good idea to take the food out at a percific time before lights out? If so what time would you suggest is a good time befor lights out?

I agree with the last post! As he said the Cham will eat when he want to but should still be offered earlier in the day to help with digestion. Would it not be a good idea to take the food out at a percific time before lights out? If so what time would you suggest is a good time befor lights out?

Depends on the feeders. I would only be concerned with large crickets that may see your cham as a food source :eek:. Most other feeders are fine to leave in at night. I generally have some carrots and greens in the feeder cup so they will be fine. (Can't think of any other feeders I'd be concerned about.)

And, depends on your cham. I have my lights go out at about 7:30ish this time of year but I know my veiled will not eat after 4:30ish. So that would mean about 5 o'clock would be a good time to remove the feeders in my case.

When I was feeding crickets to my Chameleons I would let them free range to hunt. But then with the dubias I would hand feed or cup feed. I would put them in the enclosure in the morning andlet them have at it til evening. Then I would remove all bugs that weren't eaten. :)

Thanks, he normally eats around half 3/4 and his lights don't go off untill 9.30 however he is not well at the moment and is undergoing treatment and investigations at the vets. His tongue is not working properly and his appetite has decreased so in order to keep weight on him I'm having to hand feed him by placing the food in his mouth. I have been doing this at his normal eating time but was just wondering if it should have been earlier but all seems to be working t the moment.

Thanks

In that case, I would spread the feedings out a bit from early morning to afternoon so he isn't too full. How long have you had him?

Hope he is feeling back to normal soon! :)

Thanks I might give that a go. I have had him for 2 years now and thanks, I really hope he gets better so as well.

Back
Top Bottom