Time for a change

Well...as my root rot has persisted despite the redirection of my dripper, I've decided to toss the ol' pothos (or at least repot it for future use), and do a completey new setup for my veiled. Observing the current setup has caused me to take notes on things I'd like to change. And with the ugly smell in my office, I think it's time to change now.

Has anyone experienced extreme stress in your animal after gutting and redoing your setup? I'm looking for ways to cut down on his stress. There probably isn't a way. But I thought I'd ask.

It may cause a little stress but I can't see it being that big of an issue.
Just make sure you plan it all out ahead of time and make it as quick and painless as possible.
In my opinion it's a great opportunity to really clean the enclosure and make improvements....plus, you've gotta get rid of that stinky plant!:eek:

-Brad

I currently have 2 cages for one cham. I have his main cage and I have a smaller, mesh enclousure for outside or to out him in when I am cleaning out his main cage.

I have found the smaller cage a huge help!

Pothos can withstand flooding and at home i don't use any soil to plant pothos, i just use water nad some rocks to hold them in place and they will thrive. Don't throw away that old pothos yet; try to repot them without soil and see if this will works

Pothos can withstand flooding and at home i don't use any soil to plant pothos, i just use water nad some rocks to hold them in place and they will thrive. Don't throw away that old pothos yet; try to repot them without soil and see if this will works

I like that idea! Getting poo, dead bugs and keeping the cams out of the dirt is a PITA sometimes, sounds like this can be an easy fix... Have any pictures of how you set em up?

Here are some picture taken. Make sure you drain the water once a week :p

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

All you need is some pebbles, a bowl and water.

Very cool.... Id just need get something hold the plant in the top half of the cage and let the shoots fall to the bottom; only thing I wish this plant would do it hold its shape like a ficus. Thanks! :)

Thanks everyone!

It's a pain cuz I went to a lot of work to hang the pothos by fishing line. It's a nice setup recommended to me by a great breeder, but once you hang the pothos and get it all entwind with the fake vines and foliage, it's hard to dissasemble.

Great idea with the pebbles! Thanks a ton. I'm thinking of taking this opportunity to introduce a new plant like a scheff or something, and then add the recovered, repotted pothos later.

Also - just to add - the root rot definately improved, the smell is almost all gone, but not gone enough.

Also a great idea with the second cage. I'm still recovering financially from the startup (my first cham) so I'm far from having the ability or space to purchase a second cage.

Back
Top Bottom