Thoughts on underground reptiles

Cort Chams

Im new to the chameleon world but have been waiting to get some for a little over 3 years. I came from the reefing world, now that’s a hard and EXPENSIVE hobby! I still have my tank but I’m looking for another challenge!
The time has come, I’m looking to get a pair of
Rieppeleon brevicaudatus.
Underground reptiles says they should be getting them in in a couple months. If I don’t manage to get a pair at the New England reptile expo, this might be my second option.
What are everyone’s experiences with this company?
Has anyone ordered Pygmies from them before?
Are there any other companies that sell quality pygmies? (I know FL Chams does but it seems like they have been out of stock for quite some time.
Thoughts on Pygmies in general? (Long term plan is to have pairs of lots of species)

Thank you!

I would use the search bar to look for other threads regarding Underground Reptiles. It's a pretty polarizing company from what I've seen. Some people have had success with them, but some people warn to stay away. It's hard to say! If I'm not mistaken, the brevs from Underground Reptiles will be wild caught, though, which means much higher risk for parasites and disease. If this is your first time working with chameleons, I would just be sure to keep that in mind

You should really study a lot about bioactive setups too, and I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself and plan to keep a bunch of species. Of making money off selling offspring is what you are looking for, I wouldn't bet on it.

You should really study a lot about bioactive setups too, and I wouldn't get too ahead of yourself and plan to keep a bunch of species. Of making money off selling offspring is what you are looking for, I wouldn't bet on it.

Hi CJ,
I'm interested in Bearded Pygmy Chams because of the ability to house in pairs and trios and the bio active environments. Coming from past experience in Darts and Reefs, both which bio active setups are crucial, I feel as this would be a nice introduction to the chameleon hobby. I'm here because of my love for nature, not to start a business. However, if my Chams happen to breed, I might consider selling one or two to fund my hobbies.
Personally, I'm guilty of being tempted by all these rare and exotic chameleons coming in from Kenya, Tanzania (if they are exporting IDK), Madagascar etc. I'm sure lots of other chameleon keepers are too! It hurts, it really does to see all these rare Trioceros and Brookesia species being imported and being able to keep any of them! However, at the moment the only other chameleon I want or NEED is a F1 Kenyan xanth Jacksons Cham. If all goes well with the pygmies, I will be excited to help support the xanth project in maybe a year or two.

Hi CJ,
I'm interested in Bearded Pygmy Chams because of the ability to house in pairs and trios and the bio active environments. Coming from past experience in Darts and Reefs, both which bio active setups are crucial, I feel as this would be a nice introduction to the chameleon hobby. I'm here because of my love for nature, not to start a business. However, if my Chams happen to breed, I might consider selling one or two to fund my hobbies.
Personally, I'm guilty of being tempted by all these rare and exotic chameleons coming in from Kenya, Tanzania (if they are exporting IDK), Madagascar etc. I'm sure lots of other chameleon keepers are too! It hurts, it really does to see all these rare Trioceros and Brookesia species being imported and being able to keep any of them! However, at the moment the only other chameleon I want or NEED is a F1 Kenyan xanth Jacksons Cham. If all goes well with the pygmies, I will be excited to help support the xanth project in maybe a year or two.[/QUOTES

Nothing wrong with your experience and knowledge of keeping a miniature ecosystem thriving,I have friends that are salt water fish keepers and they seem to have alot more challenging and less forgiving time with their hobby, not to mention the money, anyway I can’t help you with your search for a review but I welcome you to the hobby, your going to love creating a bio active set up, I keep uroplatus and that’s half the fun, I’m sure you’ll be fine, reptiles will be a breath of fresh air

You're not going to find any captive bred pygmies from a company or commercial breeder. Your only hope for captive bred pygmies is through a small scale hobby breeder and I don't even know of anyone openly breeding/selling CB right now in the US.

Hi CJ,
Personally, I'm guilty of being tempted by all these rare and exotic chameleons coming in from Kenya, Tanzania (if they are exporting IDK), Madagascar etc. I'm sure lots of other chameleon keepers are too! It hurts, it really does to see all these rare Trioceros and Brookesia species being imported and being able to keep any of them! However, at the moment the only other chameleon I want or NEED is a F1 Kenyan xanth Jacksons Cham. If all goes well with the pygmies, I will be excited to help support the xanth project in maybe a year or two.
No offense, but it wouldn't really fund your hobbies well, and pygmies can be hard to incubate eggs. Sorry if I seemed negative, I hope you have lots of fun! (y)

Back
Top Bottom