Thoughts on switching diet

Robobob

So since i first got my panther chameleon i've been giving him a diet consisting of crickets and occasionally some superworms/silkworms.

While i think they are a good source of food, i've been having some problems with them. I keep my terrarium in my bedroom and the chirping noise they make is bothering my sleep.. they are also very keen on escaping my exo terra terrarium so i tend to find them roaming the floor almost daily..
Along with that my enclosure has alot of hiding places where they sneak in and stay out of reach for my poor cham..

So on my last visit to the pet store i consulted the staff and they suggested i tried feeding him with locusts instead to see how he liked it.
Said and done i bought a box of Large sized locusts, which by the way were huge! Didnt know they could even grow to this size so i was kind of nervous feeding them to my chameleon who is not yet an adult

Either way, he seem somewhat sceptical when i introduced the new snack in his enclosure but after a few minutes stare-down he went in for the kill and swallow it happily!(Dramatic video included below)

So my question to the community is, what are your thoughts on pros vs cons of switching from a cricket to a locust diet? Where i buy them the locusts are about 5 times as expensive but then again, they are probably 7 times bigger so a single locust keeps him full all day.

Pros that i thought of so far

+not as jumpy and keen to hide once in the enclosure

+no escaping

+wont bite chameleons if left over night
(I heard crickets could even though some people say its nonsense)

+very docile and easy for him to catch

+ dont find them as smelly as crickets

Cons i thought of:

- a little harder to dust

Here is a video of his first encounter with them, i kept him carefully monitored until i was sure he could eat it properly, enjoy!

(Ps, glass was cleaned after!)
20190314_160924.jpg

20190314_160830.jpg

gotta be honest that a little to big for him. big choking hazard. kinda suprised he got it down. maybe as a full adult? how about dubia roaches?

Yeah that was my thought when i saw them, i will make sure to watch him eating the ones i have left, then switch to medium size until hes fully grown.

Dubia is also an option, but wont they sneak in and hide in the cork bark background?

Yeah that was my thought when i saw them, i will make sure to watch him eating the ones i have left, then switch to medium size until hes fully grown.

Dubia is also an option, but wont they sneak in and hide in the cork bark background?
Try cup feeding. Or hand feeding.

I just got my 4 month old Male Veil to eat from my hand for the first time today! I had my wife record in super slow mo on her new Galaxy S10 too! Man I was so excited! Mainly because he's a grump who doesn't like to be handled. But he will be ok with me in his enclosure doing whatever.
Congrats on this one!

I cup feed and hand feed. My guy won't touch a cricket or dubia unless it is sitting next to something else he goes to eat. I think it is great you found something he likes. They do look a bit big though.

So since i first got my panther chameleon i've been giving him a diet consisting of crickets and occasionally some superworms/silkworms.

While i think they are a good source of food, i've been having some problems with them. I keep my terrarium in my bedroom and the chirping noise they make is bothering my sleep.. they are also very keen on escaping my exo terra terrarium so i tend to find them roaming the floor almost daily..
Along with that my enclosure has alot of hiding places where they sneak in and stay out of reach for my poor cham..

So on my last visit to the pet store i consulted the staff and they suggested i tried feeding him with locusts instead to see how he liked it.
Said and done i bought a box of Large sized locusts, which by the way were huge! Didnt know they could even grow to this size so i was kind of nervous feeding them to my chameleon who is not yet an adult

Either way, he seem somewhat sceptical when i introduced the new snack in his enclosure but after a few minutes stare-down he went in for the kill and swallow it happily!(Dramatic video included below)

So my question to the community is, what are your thoughts on pros vs cons of switching from a cricket to a locust diet? Where i buy them the locusts are about 5 times as expensive but then again, they are probably 7 times bigger so a single locust keeps him full all day.

Pros that i thought of so far

+not as jumpy and keen to hide once in the enclosure

+no escaping

+wont bite chameleons if left over night
(I heard crickets could even though some people say its nonsense)

+very docile and easy for him to catch

+ dont find them as smelly as crickets

Cons i thought of:

- a little harder to dust

Here is a video of his first encounter with them, i kept him carefully monitored until i was sure he could eat it properly, enjoy!

(Ps, glass was cleaned after!)
View attachment 225795

View attachment 225794

I feed crickets, he loves them, but I’ve realized only the adult crickets chirp. It’s only happened to me once but it is pretty annoying while trying to get some shut eye and that’s all I could hear... so you already know which cricket was for Silly’s breakfast in the morning after

I feed crickets, he loves them, but I’ve realized only the adult crickets chirp. It’s only happened to me once but it is pretty annoying while trying to get some shut eye and that’s all I could hear... so you already know which cricket was for Silly’s breakfast in the morning after

I heard only male crickets chirp, so since recently if i handfeed him i try to pick the males to make sure they wont get away. And if i leave any in the feeder i make sure they are female, just in case they get out ^^

Sometimes I buy a dozen or so crickets and I always cut the wings of the adult males. Doing this won't hurt them but it takes a bit of time. Cutting their wings prevent them from chirping.

Back
Top Bottom