Those who have used Jasmine Sambac with chameleons...

Klemins

Also called Nyctanthes sambac... How have the animals been while housed with it? I've been using 2 sizable plants in outdoor enclosures for Bradypodions, and was curious if anyone has had issues with toxicity. I have used the search function, but came up with conflicting reports. I have read that some people eat the flowers, so am not that concerned about them, though the leaves may cause problems. These animals have never expressed any interest in eating leaves, so I'm not overly worried, but it is still in the back of my mind. Just curious to see if others have had success. I may opt to just switch them out for some hibiscus. Thanks for any info.

tricky

I searched my references, and only found one record of contact dermatitis in workers harvesting flowers. The plant is correctly _Jasminum sambac_ and it is in the Olive family; the only noted poisonous member we worry about is privet _Ligustrum_ sp.

I find Sambac to be difficult to grow as a house plant; its very prone to spider mites, even in humid conditions, and mealy bugs often appear. It is slow to get growing, even in a greenhouse environment. It certainly needs strong sun and a regular fertilizing program to flower well. Seems that they require a little extra iron. Hibiscus are easier, by far.

These are only to be used outdoors, so there will be ample light. I'll see how the plants do. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom