This was really disappointing

While I may have been kind in my approach the truth is I am a sucker for other people and feel sadness when suffering occurs.

Most of the regulars are not on the forum on the weekends or Monday depending on their jobs. They come in and out. While I understand the level of frustration I do not believe this thread was really necessary either. Public shaming of so many that give of their time and knowledge is pretty upsetting.

We all give of our time freely here. People that we help don't stay in the forum and continue to help others most of them leave... Until they have another question. Not many stick around and try to pass on info to new people that come in. Instead it falls on the regulars that are here.

In all honesty I spend way too much time here. When I found out I was finally getting my surgery I was actually concerned that I would not be around to help. When my recovery took longer then expected I stressed that I would not be here to help my friends that constantly are giving feedback. Because we all work together.

This thread did make me feel bad about not being available all last week. And honestly it shouldn't have. @snitz427 is not only a good friend but she is right. I should not feel bad about putting myself and health first.

@RescueMom I really think you need to stop and think here. You are putting down many people that simply were not online to help you.
You got upset and you vocalized it. But there is no reason to beat up on members that are extremely knowledgeable that happened to not agree with the way you went about this.

I am going to take my leave now. I do not have the energy to deal with this.
@Beman You are an empath. My sister is, too. A good quality but so, so exhausting. She sucked all emapthy out of the gene pool, so all that was left when I was born was this cold, black heart.

Take care of #1, first!

@snitz427 said..."The person who originally responded to your first post, asking for photos... is one of the most knowledgeable, kind, and helpful people you find on this forum. Someone who would, without a doubt, tried to offer up some advice, and you sound like you're giving them crap"... I believe it's me that asked for the photos and then didn't get back to answer the thread. Thanks for the very kind words @snitz427 ! I answer a lot of posts on here....going down the list from one to the other. If I have time I go back and try to re-read ones that I've asked for information from the OPs in so I can answer them....sometimes, there are so many posts that I have to re-check that I don't get back to them...sometimes I skip one by mistake thinking I've already looked at it...sometimes I have no answer and have to think about what's going on. Sorry @RescueMom that I didn't answer your post. I do the best I can.

As far as posts about "help, my chameleon is dying/dead"...sometimes chameleons move after they are technically dead...sometimes when people have never seen a dead chameleon before, it's hard to be sure...then in some cases chameleons (certain species) play dead so well that I've known keepers who are very familiar with chameleons set a (dead) body aside only to go back to bury it later and find it gone. I'd rather answer these threads than show indifference or tell the person how stupid they are. They might be trolls...but if they are they will be figured out sooner or later. They might be young or just not knowledgable ...it doesn't matter to me...I just do my best.

Concerning your chameleon's tongue...if it is a bite I hope the swelling will go down. If it is a bite it likely wouldn't be a bad idea to continue with the meds the vet gave you, to make sure it doesn't get infected. Keep him hydrated while he's on the meds. I'd keep an eye on it and take the chameleon back to the vet if things don't improve. I'd also be careful feeding him for a while...you don't want him to swallow his tongue. If the tongue starts to hang out and not be retracted completely back into the mouth, you will need to take him to a good chameleon vet. I'm not a vet...these are just my best guesses.

Last edited:
sigh GIF

Sometimes I see someone post a thread asking a completely ridiculous question, like "help! I think my cham is dead" and they post a horrible pic of an obviously dead chameleon. Then they go on to say how they put it under a heat light and they're spraying water on it, etc.

But that's not the most ridiculous part of the thread. The worst part is all the forum members who are so quick to reply and try to help this moronic person who is either trying to see what kind of idiots are on here, or they're honestly too stupid to be allowed in society unsupervised.

Then others use the forum like it's Instagram, or Facebook. Okay, that's fine if you have nothing better to do. Whatever.

But when you have someone with a problem that posts a thread, they deserve the same concern that others have gotten, but all to often they get ignored or treated like they're stupid for not knowing something, and that's wrong!
Next time pause before you post a negative rant like this. You come across like a jerk.

Sigh.

while this thread was unnecessary a lot of the responses to this thread were also unnecessary.

we all need to remember that dealing with a sick chameleon can be stressful. Everyone handles stress differently.

@RescueMom i understand where you were coming from. You needed help and weren’t getting it. i don’t believe anyone was Avoiding your thread on purpose. Sometimes people miss threads. Or ask questions because they know more experienced keepers will need the information to help but they don’t feel confident giving advice.

sometimes threads get lost in the shuffle. Or there is no one online at the time that can answer. And sometimes just no one has an answer.

@snitz427 said..."The person who originally responded to your first post, asking for photos... is one of the most knowledgeable, kind, and helpful people you find on this forum. Someone who would, without a doubt, tried to offer up some advice, and you sound like you're giving them crap"... I believe it's me that asked for the photos and then didn't get back to answer the thread. Thanks for the very kind words @snitz427 ! I answer a lot of posts on here....going down the list from one to the other. If I have time I go back and try to re-read ones that I've asked for information from the OPs in so I can answer them....sometimes, there are so many posts that I have to re-check that I don't get back to them...sometimes I skip one by mistake thinking I've already looked at it...sometimes I have no answer and have to think about what's going on. Sorry @RescueMom that I didn't answer your post. I do the best I can.

As far as posts about "help, my chameleon is dying/dead"...sometimes chameleons move after they are technically dead...sometimes when people have never seen a dead chameleon before, it's hard to be sure...then in some cases chameleons (certain species) play dead so well that I've known keepers who are very familiar with chameleons set a (dead) body aside only to go back to bury it later and find it gone. I'd rather answer these threads than show indifference or tell the person how stupid they are. They might be trolls...but if they are they will be figured out sooner or later. They might be young or just not knowledgable ...it doesn't matter to me...I just do my best.

Concerning your chameleon's tongue...if it is a bite I hope the swelling will go down. If it is a bite it likely wouldn't be a bad idea to continue with the meds the vet gave you, to make sure it doesn't get infected. Keep him hydrated while he's on the meds. I'd keep an eye on it and take the chameleon back to the vet if things don't improve. I'd also be careful feeding him for a while...you don't want him to swallow his tongue. If the tongue starts to hang out and not be retracted completely back into the mouth, you will need to take him to a good chameleon vet. I'm not a vet...these are just my best guesses.

As usual, @kinyonga @Beman @snitz427 causing trouble on these forums. Seems to be a trend with these three, them and their cronies. Keeps the more compassionate, like myself, from posting as often.

I'm gonna do it again....I'm gonna hate on reddit...lol I do understand what you are talking about to an extent. I have a hypothesis that misguided redditors and Facebookers are making their way onto the forums, as the platforms they have been using have been ineffective and often damaging. I'm saying that because I've noticed a lot of posts on here (ex. help, I think my cham is dead posts) that are of the same trend of posts on the other platforms. So...it seems to be a large amount of chameleons in critical conditions popping up here. Idk, I've been a member since 2018 and I don't remember it being THIS prevalent then.

So...this then leads to a social media-esque situation, as that is where many new members are coming from...and so many people are getting their hands on chameleons that tending to captive chameleon health concerns has become a crisis (once again, cue the sick chameleon posts). Final point is I think there are quite few members on the forums here who are active and can be considered experienced, trustable sources, and they are being spread thin. Snowball effect.
The reason so many “help my chameleon is dying” is popping up right now is because Christmas was a few months ago and a lot of ppl got them as pets having no clue how to care for them.

my post get ignored all the time. I just cry to my lizards later no one cares about us

The reason so many “help my chameleon is dying” is popping up right now is because Christmas was a few months ago and a lot of ppl got them as pets having no clue how to care for them.

my post get ignored all the time. I just cry to my lizards later no one cares about us

Just laughing at the second half of this post.
The other half makes me want to cry.

As usual, @kinyonga @Beman @snitz427 causing trouble on these forums. Seems to be a trend with these three, them and their cronies. Keeps the more compassionate, like myself, from posting as often.

Cronies, eh? Causing trouble, eh? Not compassionate like @James0o0 eh? So now your true feelings come out! :)

Sigh.

while this thread was unnecessary a lot of the responses to this thread were also unnecessary.

we all need to remember that dealing with a sick chameleon can be stressful. Everyone handles stress differently.

@RescueMom i understand where you were coming from. You needed help and weren’t getting it. i don’t believe anyone was Avoiding your thread on purpose. Sometimes people miss threads. Or ask questions because they know more experienced keepers will need the information to help but they don’t feel confident giving advice.

sometimes threads get lost in the shuffle. Or there is no one online at the time that can answer. And sometimes just no one has an answer.

Insight and polite responses were met with impolite responses. All bets are off at that point.

Back
Top Bottom