This was really disappointing

Alot of the times a person may not reply to a post simply because they are not sure of a correct answer or comment.
IMO better to not say anything at all than to possibly lead someone down the wrong path.
Absolutely! If it is something that I really know nothing about I either don’t comment or try to flag an experienced knowledgeable keeper. If I see that an experienced keeper has already posted, even if it is something I’m confident about knowing, I usually move on to the next post.

Sometimes I see someone post a thread asking a completely ridiculous question, like "help! I think my cham is dead" and they post a horrible pic of an obviously dead chameleon. Then they go on to say how they put it under a heat light and they're spraying water on it, etc.

But that's not the most ridiculous part of the thread. The worst part is all the forum members who are so quick to reply and try to help this moronic person who is either trying to see what kind of idiots are on here, or they're honestly too stupid to be allowed in society unsupervised.

Then others use the forum like it's Instagram, or Facebook. Okay, that's fine if you have nothing better to do. Whatever.

But when you have someone with a problem that posts a thread, they deserve the same concern that others have gotten, but all to often they get ignored or treated like they're stupid for not knowing something, and that's wrong!
I'm gonna do it again....I'm gonna hate on reddit...lol I do understand what you are talking about to an extent. I have a hypothesis that misguided redditors and Facebookers are making their way onto the forums, as the platforms they have been using have been ineffective and often damaging. I'm saying that because I've noticed a lot of posts on here (ex. help, I think my cham is dead posts) that are of the same trend of posts on the other platforms. So...it seems to be a large amount of chameleons in critical conditions popping up here. Idk, I've been a member since 2018 and I don't remember it being THIS prevalent then.

So...this then leads to a social media-esque situation, as that is where many new members are coming from...and so many people are getting their hands on chameleons that tending to captive chameleon health concerns has become a crisis (once again, cue the sick chameleon posts). Final point is I think there are quite few members on the forums here who are active and can be considered experienced, trustable sources, and they are being spread thin. Snowball effect.

Absolutely! If it is something that I really know nothing about I either don’t comment or try to flag an experienced knowledgeable keeper. If I see that an experienced keeper has already posted, even if it is something I’m confident about knowing, I usually move on to the next post.
The difference is that you AT LEAST say something and then try to pass it on to someone who might have an answer, and that is very much appreciated

Happy Robert Redford GIF
mYoQfN4erupvom0QT65SCkAUDLy5OdZL4SVl1JbJtGE.gif

I've had so many posts not responded to, you just bump it. Did you see the day you asked? Sunday. Many people are with their families. Easy for a post to get lost at that time... Calling out the whole forum as a social media platform to goof on in is pretty wrong and I'm not going to sit here and go ohhh I sympathize with you lol. Sure, I understand you're worried and deserve some help, but people must have missed it. Instead of just attacking everyone, bump your thread. Most of us have lives like I'm sure you do too.

Right - its been 2 days, and weekdays at that. I realize that is an eternity if you are looking for help immediately...but with a medical issue that most likely do not know how to diagnose, you may not get an immediate answer. But you have two threads going for the issue, and it seems like you got a lot of responses in the second thread today. I know there are a lot of people who spend a LOT of time helping with questions like these... but they are doing so out of the kindness of their heart. They aren't paid employees who must monitor the forums at all times, and it's not a vet's office, so take the questions and advice as suggestions, not a guaranteed cure or diagnosis.

As James mentioned, you should bump the thread to keep at the top of the home page, so when people quickly glance at the home page to see if anything catches their eye - they might see it. Otherwise you can quickly fall to the 2nd or 3rd page, and get lost in the shuffle.

Right - its been 2 days, and weekdays at that. I realize that is an eternity if you are looking for help immediately...but with a medical issue that most likely do not know how to diagnose, you may not get an immediate answer. But you have two threads going for the issue, and it seems like you got a lot of responses in the second thread today. I know there are a lot of people who spend a LOT of time helping with questions like these... but they are doing so out of the kindness of their heart. They aren't paid employees who must monitor the forums at all times, and it's not a vet's office, so take the questions and advice as suggestions, not a guaranteed cure or diagnosis.

As James mentioned, you should bump the thread to keep at the top of the home page, so when people quickly glance at the home page to see if anything catches their eye - they might see it. Otherwise you can quickly fall to the 2nd or 3rd page, and get lost in the shuffle.

Well said, sums it up perfectly.

Nothing like coming in on the end of a conversation and not getting all the information.

My original post on Sunday has replies, as of today that is, just to clarify for you.

Thank you for pointing out things that might be needed if I were 12, but I'm not.

I really thought I was messaging the vets office and that everyone on here were paid professionals. Honestly, was that necessary??

I have no problem with that. I don't give advice on here for that very reason.

So if you aren't contributing to the other million threads going on right now, how can you be upset with others doing the same thing? The person who originally responded to your first post, asking for photos... is one of the most knowledgeable, kind, and helpful people you find on this forum. Someone who would, without a doubt, tried to offer up some advice, and you sound like you're giving them crap.

@Beman you should not need to apologize for not being online. It's ok to not have the time or energy to respond to every question, every day. It's ok to take a break if you need one.

So if you aren't contributing to the other million threads going on right now, how can you be upset with others doing the same thing? The person who originally responded to your first post, asking for photos... is one of the most knowledgeable, kind, and helpful people you find on this forum. Someone who would, without a doubt, tried to offer up some advice, and you sound like you're giving them crap.

@Beman you should not need to apologize for not being online. It's ok to not have the time or energy to respond to every question, every day. It's ok to take a break if you need one.
I did post photos, but the person who asked me to never responded. I didn't give her any crap.

And Beman has been wonderful and helpful, unlike you're being. Maybe you should take a lesson from her

Nothing like coming in on the end of a conversation and not getting all the information.

My original post on Sunday has replies, as of today that is, just to clarify for you.

Thank you for pointing out things that might be needed if I were 12, but I'm not.

I really thought I was messaging the vets office and that everyone on here were paid professionals. Honestly, was that necessary??

You do sound like something, but not a 12 year old. Actually, I've seen 12 year olds post here with a lot more courtesy than you have. I did read your thread (all three of them). Honestly, is this thread even necessary? Three threads for 1 issue, its no surprise people are stretched thin or don't have interest in responding.

I'm coming in on the end of a conversation because I have a job... and a family...and chameleons of my own... that have been keeping me quite busy today.

and wth is your location supposed to mean?

You do sound like something, but not a 12 year old. Actually, I've seen 12 year olds post here with a lot more courtesy than you have. I did read your thread (all three of them). Honestly, is this thread even necessary? Three threads for 1 issue, its no surprise people are stretched thin or don't have interest in responding.

I'm coming in on the end of a conversation because I have a job... and a family...and chameleons of my own... that have been keeping me quite busy today.

and wth is your location supposed to mean?
Now you've really lost me 😕
I'm sorry if I struck a nerve. It definitely wasn't intentional

Last edited:
Alot of the times a person may not reply to a post simply because they are not sure of a correct answer or comment.
IMO better to not say anything at all than to possibly lead someone down the wrong path.
I totally agree with this. This is one of the reasons why I don't reply. There are also forum members that have work and school so it's not easy to get into a conversation right then. I know that when I have breaks from school work, I quickly hop on to reply to my notifications.

I only help in the areas and threads that I can. Also, it's easy for a thread to get dragged down off the home list. People reply to previous threads, more threads are posted. It's not because people are ignoring you or your thread, or just don't want to help.

😃🦎

I totally agree with this. This is one of the reasons why I don't reply. There are also forum members that have work and school so it's not easy to get into a conversation right then. I know that when I have breaks from school work, I quickly hop on to reply to my notifications.

I only help in the areas and threads that I can. Also, it's easy for a thread to get dragged down off the home list. People reply to previous threads, more threads are posted. It's not because people are ignoring you or your thread, or just don't want to help.

😃🦎
👍

While I may have been kind in my approach the truth is I am a sucker for other people and feel sadness when suffering occurs.

Most of the regulars are not on the forum on the weekends or Monday depending on their jobs. They come in and out. While I understand the level of frustration I do not believe this thread was really necessary either. Public shaming of so many that give of their time and knowledge is pretty upsetting.

We all give of our time freely here. People that we help don't stay in the forum and continue to help others most of them leave... Until they have another question. Not many stick around and try to pass on info to new people that come in. Instead it falls on the regulars that are here.

In all honesty I spend way too much time here. When I found out I was finally getting my surgery I was actually concerned that I would not be around to help. When my recovery took longer then expected I stressed that I would not be here to help my friends that constantly are giving feedback. Because we all work together.

This thread did make me feel bad about not being available all last week. And honestly it shouldn't have. @snitz427 is not only a good friend but she is right. I should not feel bad about putting myself and health first.

@RescueMom I really think you need to stop and think here. You are putting down many people that simply were not online to help you.
You got upset and you vocalized it. But there is no reason to beat up on members that are extremely knowledgeable that happened to not agree with the way you went about this.

I am going to take my leave now. I do not have the energy to deal with this.

While I may have been kind in my approach the truth is I am a sucker for other people and feel sadness when suffering occurs.

Most of the regulars are not on the forum on the weekends or Monday depending on their jobs. They come in and out. While I understand the level of frustration I do not believe this thread was really necessary either. Public shaming of so many that give of their time and knowledge is pretty upsetting.

We all give of our time freely here. People that we help don't stay in the forum and continue to help others most of them leave... Until they have another question. Not many stick around and try to pass on info to new people that come in. Instead it falls on the regulars that are here.

In all honesty I spend way too much time here. When I found out I was finally getting my surgery I was actually concerned that I would not be around to help. When my recovery took longer then expected I stressed that I would not be here to help my friends that constantly are giving feedback. Because we all work together.

This thread did make me feel bad about not being available all last week. And honestly it shouldn't have. @snitz427 is not only a good friend but she is right. I should not feel bad about putting myself and health first.

@RescueMom I really think you need to stop and think here. You are putting down many people that simply were not online to help you.
You got upset and you vocalized it. But there is no reason to beat up on members that are extremely knowledgeable that happened to not agree with the way you went about this.

I am going to take my leave now. I do not have the energy to deal with this.
I have to say many many many leave all together do to threads just like this !!. Love you Chiquitta GET SOME REST !!. This is stressful which you do not need right know !!.

I am going to take my leave now. I do not have the energy to deal with this.i

I have to say many many many leave all together do to threads just like this !!. Love you Chiquitta GET SOME REST !!. This is stressful which you do not need right know !!.
Has anyone noticed that it has been 6 hours since I posted this?

I'm not the one keeping this going, so maybe it's someone else who needs the laxative 🤔

Back
Top Bottom