This may sound like a silly question- Intelligence?

antithesis123

When I look into my chameleons eyes, I see a thinker, I wonder what he's thinking about. I know he's definitely not like a human and probably not even like a dog but I see something smarter than your average animal. I see an animal not solely driven by fear and instinct. I see something alien like who is sometimes moody, sometimes curious, sometimes a hunter on the prowl, sometimes proud, sometimes frustrated, sometimes weak and tired. I see eyes that question or trust me who challenge me or fear me, eyes who take comfort in my presense for being a provider and maybe, just maybe wonder what i'm thinking too. Or maybe I'm the one thinking too much.

Do you think Chams have any intelligence? Does yours? Or are they just mechanical animals?

I really love this question. Beautifully written as well. I've also noticed as I look into my chameleon's eyes, wondering what he's thinking - he looks as if he's wondering what I'm thinking too. He stares straight into my eyes, head cocked to one side, his pupils slightly retracting and dilating, and it really looks like he's contemplating something.

Most people tend to view reptiles as slow, gross, boring, stupid or worst of all - evil. But I beg to differ. In fact, just the other day my best friend came over so I got out my panther Nebulas to show her and all she said was: "Hilary, eww! You're so weird; you have a lizard." And I replied: "No I'm not. And he's a chameleon." It's sad, really.

All in all, I think most animals are smarter than what people give them credit for. Chameleons included.

Well, once I had my female veiled on my shoulder when I went into the closet where I keep my feeder bins and when I had her free ranging on the opposite side of the apartment she climbed off her tree, crossed the apartment, and got to the feeders. I watched her do it and she wasn't even searching for them, she was like a guided missile, she knew exactly where they were from that one visit.

I've seen lots of little examples of how clever they can be when they really want something/want to do something. They might not be able to work a puzzle like my dog, but I think there's more going on up there than just purely instinctual knee-jerk reactions.

Here is what my veiled female, Bea, is thinking: "Bugs. Bugs. Bugs bugs bugsbugsbugs. Bu-u-u-ugs. Bugs? Bugs. Don't pick me up don't pick me up DON'TPICKMEUP! Oh. Outside. Bugs?"

On a more serious note, they know where things are (e.g. cricket tub), what they mean (door from inside = going out; door from outside = being put back in), and can remember how to find things they want for some time. Some recognize individuals (though mine give no evidence of doing so). They're quick to explore new things, and seem to understand if they're trying to get somewhere and you offer them a hand or a stick that it will help them get there.

Back
Top Bottom