this may be a dumb question- nails

OliveTheVeiled

Olives nail's are really long, are they suppose to be? If not what do I do about them or will she file them herself on a branch? Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been covered already I used the search section. :)

i asked the same question a while back i thought it was dumb too:p She needs her nails so no don't cut them or file them down they need them for climbing

What type of enclosure does she have? It is a possibility that she could get them stuck in the screen if it is too tight a size. Does she climb the screen often? Do you have a picture of her enclosure? Might help. ;)

If you put more vines and plants in her cage, she will be less likely to climb the screen.
and yes, they can break them off when climbing the screen, and no they dont always grow back.
and no, do not cut them.

If you put more vines and plants in her cage, she will be less likely to climb the screen.
and yes, they can break them off when climbing the screen, and no they dont always grow back.
and no, do not cut them.

That's where I was going!!! Exactly right.

on some level it doesn't make sense that you would not trim claws at all.
my cat has tons of scratching posts but every other week
i trim the very edge of her claws back.
i would think that a full grown male veiled could use the same treatment.
i think those could do some damage:eek:

somebody with more experience please chime in...:rolleyes:

I have a full grown male veiled. and his nails hurt less than the females.

Nails are long so they can grip. no nails, or shorter nails,make it so they cant climb properly.

Females need the nails so they can dig.

You have received allot of good info above. I was just wondering how old is Olive? I have notice that their nails get longer before they lay eggs. I guess the long nails help with all the digging they have to do.

She's in a 2x2x4 open air screen cage, she doesnt climb it often but if a cricket is at the top and out of reach she'll put a foot or two to brace herself. She's roughly 3 years old. Here is a pic of her cage, i have some vine that needs to be run from the larger branches to eachother because she seams to struggle with some of the wider gaps
IMG_20130102_203745_zps1fbdad75.jpg

Yea you need alot more highways in there that criss cross your cage.

the way its set up, she can only go up and down.

Get some dowel rods... cut them to the width of your cage.. then get some thumb tacks.

put your dowel rod where you want it, then from the outside of the cage, stick the thumb tack in the end of the dowel rod.. this will hold it up.

Back
Top Bottom