This is why silkback bearded dragons should be looked down on

djfishygillz

Avid Member
[craiglist ad removed]

I think the ad is enough said...

Sorry the title should be, this is why breeders should be looked down upon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh! I'm OK with Leatherbacks and have one. But silkbacks I agree, are something that should not be purposely bred for. Poor guy.

Ugh! I'm OK with Leatherbacks and have one. But silkbacks I agree, are something that should not be purposely bred for. Poor guy.

Yeah I like leathers also, but they very often lead to silks. And then often the silks are sold to people who don't properly lotion and soak them... Just overall sad :(

They can look stunning at times (color-wise). But mostly they are just constantly in shed, and like you said people don't properly care for them. Lighting is another issue too.

Honestly they just look really sickly to me no matter how good of care they are in.

They can look stunning at times (color-wise). But mostly they are just constantly in shed, and like you said people don't properly care for them. Lighting is another issue too.

Honestly they just look really sickly to me no matter how good of care they are in.

I feel like it is cruel and inhumane. Making something live without its natural skin consistency... Like I understand breeding for color of course. I just don't get the skin changing aspect.

Could you explain the difference for those of us who aren't familiar, please?

Regular bearded dragons have the spiked skin, that helps them with natural predator defense. It also helps them retain water and have healthy easy sheds.

The silkback gene, as pictured, is the pairing of two softer skinned bearded dragons known as leatherbacks. Once two leatherbacks are paired together they create "silkbacks". Silkbacks are known to have shedding problems, weak immune systems, and difficulty mating due to their fragile skin.

So the leatherbacks don't have scales? Poor things. So many of these designer variations have health problems.

Back
Top Bottom