this is what i was afraid of

Sang

damn that johnny depp movie rango...already inspired one idiot to sell them as "little rango's" and at a month old.

phoenix.craigslist

Last edited by a moderator:
the babies are cute. but they will probably develop mbd or die becuase people buy them and dont understand all the work that goes into them.
I mean I;m a first time cham mom and the stress and sutff that comes along with owning a cham is crazy.
Chams aren't like dogs or cats where you can give them food walk them and get them shots and they will probably be fine (not that cat or dog owning is easy too)

I keep seeing the angst this movie is generating with a lot of people on this forum. I fail to see the problem. More people interested in chameleons is good for the hobby. Sure there will be some people that can't care for them or don't bother to learn but that is inevitable with or without the movie.

well not to mention the fact that if you take your ticket stub into petsmart, they give you 10% off of an animal purchase.

and ekaj, while your opinion is fine and what not, i will argue that your initial thought is wrong... more people owning chams not knowing how to care for them is bad....its cruel, its unfair and just careless of people.

hate to break it to you but to many people ignorantly purchase a chameleon and don't care for it properly.

id rather have the few that do it right than the many that could do it wrong.

Regardless of the movie this guy is obviously out to make a quick buck. He would be selling them anyway, he's prob too cheap to feed them. After all 9 baby veileds are going to go through a thousand crixs a week. He's most likely a flipper. Like all the other CL scammers....

As usual I completely agree with you! That jerk is most likely just the first on many. How many people will be turned off to chameleons when they purchase a 1 month old chameleon who promptly dies? At least for the baby chameleon I hope it is fast.:(

well not to mention the fact that if you take your ticket stub into petsmart, they give you 10% off of an animal purchase.

and ekaj, while your opinion is fine and what not, i will argue that your initial thought is wrong... more people owning chams not knowing how to care for them is bad....its cruel, its unfair and just careless of people.

hate to break it to you but to many people ignorantly purchase a chameleon and don't care for it properly.

I'm glad my opinion is fine! :)

Fact is we all started without any knowledge on how to care for these little guys. It's not something that we are born with. The vast majority of people on this site decided for whatever reason they would like to keep chameleons. We researched it and then got a chameleon.

Why is every single person who sees rango and wants a chameleon, not going to care for it!?! You are making a vast and sweeping generalization, and I think it is an ignorant one.

Fact is, you don't just find a chameleon and take it home (for most people). You have to get one from a vendor. It is the vendor's responsibility to make sure the buyer understands what goes into their purchase.

What will happen as a result of Rango is what has always happened. When 101 Dalmations came out, everyone wanted a dalmation. Forget that they are high strung and really don't do all that well with little ones. Whatever dog breed wins Westminster automatically becomes the new "gotta have" dog. Forget that some of them should only be owned by alpha people who can control a strong willed dog. Every little kid is going to want a Rango now and idiots will sell Rangos to anyone who will fork over $20. People are stupid. If you get interested in chams because of a movie, great. If your parents indulge you and buy you a $20 cham without knowing doodah about keeping a cham, shame on them and the person who sells to them. It's a disservice to the animals. In my house, no one gets anything living until you know how to take care of it and understand that the animals needs come before your own (e.g. they eat before we do).

I'm with Laurie -- let's hope the ends come quickly and painlessly. But they won't.

One question where are all these chams going to come from you guys are talking about? Its not like dogs in that you have a 7-9 month incubation period for an avg clutch of veileds or panthers. By the time people started producing Rangos for the movie crowd. The buzz is going to be over and theyll be on to the next hip new pet. Im not saying a few will be sold to inexp kids or parents without a clue but not in mass numbers like a dog or cat movie aimed at children. Jmo...

petsmart has increased the number of chameleons they are keeping for this movie.
people are always producing chams to be honest, and its always one person out there that does this. i see more baby chams come into pet store at 1 month , 60 at a time and they are puchased for $10.00 bucks wholesale.

I know what wholesale veiled prices are. What does that have to do with mass numbers of chams being sold as Rangos? And what pet stores do you frequent that carry 60 veileds at a time? Im not saying it isnt so just who & where. I know the petsmart and petco's in Houston dont carry chameleons. I havent seen one in any of our petco's in yrs same for petsmart. They dont even have the caging needed for numbers like that. I think your gettin too worked up over something that cant feasibly occur. This movie was only released as traileers a few months ago. The stores and breeders wouldnt have even had time to produce these mass numbers in that short time frame. Do the math...

Well the good thing is Petsmart and Petco are so overpriced alot of "Moms" are going to say no way and get the brat an anole instead.Not that the anole is any easier to care for and will probably die a horrible death as well.

Lets see, 101 = dozens of dalmations
Nemo= crowds of clownfish
Paris Hilton= chihuahuas galore
Paulie = blue crowned conures boomed.
Even commercials like Geico and Morris the cat can make people buy pets they normally wouldnt think of.
Any others Im not remembering???

I have to say the Paulie movie made me so want a bluecrown.I still want one.But my little greencheek would be so jealous, and I cant do that to him.

I know what wholesale veiled prices are. What does that have to do with mass numbers of chams being sold as Rangos? And what pet stores do you frequent that carry 60 veileds at a time? Im not saying it isnt so just who & where. I know the petsmart and petco's in Houston dont carry chameleons. I havent seen one in any of our petco's in yrs same for petsmart. They dont even have the caging needed for numbers like that. I think your gettin too worked up over something that cant feasibly occur. This movie was only released as traileers a few months ago. The stores and breeders wouldnt have even had time to produce these mass numbers in that short time frame. Do the math...

One question where are all these chams going to come from you guys are talking about? Its not like dogs in that you have a 7-9 month incubation period for an avg clutch of veileds or panthers. By the time people started producing Rangos for the movie crowd. The buzz is going to be over and theyll be on to the next hip new pet. Im not saying a few will be sold to inexp kids or parents without a clue but not in mass numbers like a dog or cat movie aimed at children. Jmo...

I couldn't agree more with these two posts.

Here is my $.02

Its no big deal the movie came out and will affect the chameleon market 0. It may be a fun marketing ploy for breeders and scammers alike but to worry about this hurting chameleons is a stretch.

If anything breeders, keepers and lovers of reptiles should be excited that this positive attention is being focused on the reptile industry. The industry is just getting started and is up against many hurdles ahead that one day may prevent anyone from owning these animals we love.

I saw my first chameleon on TV and wanted one ever since. I looked at pictures but really didn't think much further than I want one. I didn't learn jack until the animal was already ordered. Thank Brad that there is a resource here for everyone to help these new keepers enjoy this hobby and help make it strong. Caring is one thing bitching and crying because some kid may get into reptiles because he saw a movie is not going to help or change anything.

I encourage everyone to enjoy this hobby that I do. Enjoy the success, hurt when you fail, be responsible always, and learn along the way.

I couldn't agree more with these two posts.

Here is my $.02

Its no big deal the movie came out and will affect the chameleon market 0. It may be a fun marketing ploy for breeders and scammers alike but to worry about this hurting chameleons is a stretch.

If anything breeders, keepers and lovers of reptiles should be excited that this positive attention is being focused on the reptile industry. The industry is just getting started and is up against many hurdles ahead that one day may prevent anyone from owning these animals we love.

I saw my first chameleon on TV and wanted one ever since. I looked at pictures but really didn't think much further than I want one. I didn't learn jack until the animal was already ordered. Thank Brad that there is a resource here for everyone to help these new keepers enjoy this hobby and help make it strong. Caring is one thing bitching and crying because some kid may get into reptiles because he saw a movie is not going to help or change anything.

I encourage everyone to enjoy this hobby that I do. Enjoy the success, hurt when you fail, be responsible always, and learn along the way.

Well put! Couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom