Thinking of rescuing this guy . . .

And, my new guy scored some great equipment tonight! I found a barely used Dragon Strand cage with all kinds of supplies and equipment! The couple purchased a chameleon, read all the data, ordered all the stuff that was suggested from their research, and then got bored with it after 2 months. Their loss, my win!
Sue
That is a SCORE!! Congrats! Where’d you find it?

That is a SCORE!! Congrats! Where’d you find it?
Good ol' Facebook MarketPlace. :) They wanted everything out of there, three sets of lights, Little Dripper, Mist King system, plants galore, dubia roach food, cricket food, timers, branches, perches, feeders, etc. etc. Now I just have to figure out if I want to turn this into a bioactive bottom or figure out how the drainage system works. My other tank is bioactive and so far I really like it.
Sue

And, my new guy scored some great equipment tonight! I found a barely used Dragon Strand cage with all kinds of supplies and equipment! The couple purchased a chameleon, read all the data, ordered all the stuff that was suggested from their research, and then got bored with it after 2 months. Their loss, my win!
Sue
What a seriously lucky find! Congrats!! And much respect to the couple that realized chameleon keeping wasn’t for them BEFORE bringing one home. 💖

Sue
Great that’s one nice opportunity!! But what did they do with the chameleon?

I gave them the link to the Facebook rehoming group and they were going to call the pet store they got him at to see if they'd take him back. I'm also reaching out to a friend of mine who loves reptiles to see if he wants to add another. They still had a small habitat for him that they bought the day they bought the chameleon, and then as a lot of us do, the guy went nuts researching all the bigger and better stuff, bought it all, and got bored after 2 months.

I was very proud of myself for saying "no" to taking a third chameleon. As much as I was tempted, I have learned from my past pet rescues that doing too many at once diminishes the quality of care for all of them. Between my 3 dogs, cat, saltwater tanks and now 2 chameleons, my plate is full and my wallet is empty. But happiness abounds! ;)

congrats on your great finds! Don’t forget to disinfect it all really well before using it.
Even though the owner has it all set up beautifully with logs and branches ziptied to the Dragon ledges and all kinds of flower pots mounted, I'm going to take it all down, disinfect the heck out of it, and then leave it all in the sun for a day or two. This poor guy can handle being in his small cage for a few more days while I do things right.... the wait will be worth it for him.
Sue

Even though the owner has it all set up beautifully with logs and branches ziptied to the Dragon ledges and all kinds of flower pots mounted, I'm going to take it all down, disinfect the heck out of it, and then leave it all in the sun for a day or two. This poor guy can handle being in his small cage for a few more days while I do things right.... the wait will be worth it for him.
Sue
I just read the posting about the various ways to disinfect a cage and it's contents and "steam cleaner" was listed as an option but there were no details. Would this be in addition to all the other cleaning methods? Or is steam cleaning sufficient in itself? I do have a hand-held steamer. My wheels are turning. Wouldn't that be a good way to hit the branches and logs that came with this cage?
Sue

I would toss everything porous from the cage... branches and plants. You do not want to chance bringing anything into your home and you do not know if the chameleon had anything. Then scrub the cage down with dawn and warm water and rinse extremely well.

I would toss everything porous from the cage... branches and plants. You do not want to chance bringing anything into your home and you do not know if the chameleon had anything. Then scrub the cage down with dawn and warm water and rinse extremely well.
OK, but tossing out plants is going to be the painful part. 😭

OK, but tossing out plants is going to be the painful part. 😭
You can keep them in your house but do not use for the chams... If their cham had something like coccidia this is one parasite you go through hell trying to get ride of. The oocysts can live for more than 2 years and the cham can pick them back up by licking the surface where fecal from the prior cham was. It just is not worth the risk. Most parasites contaminate this way including pinworms but at least those are easier for the clean up process and treatment.

Wow, I've dealt with giardia in cats and dogs and ringworm in cats (I do a lot of foster and rescue) but this sounds even worse than those challenges!
Sue

Wow, I've dealt with giardia in cats and dogs and ringworm in cats (I do a lot of foster and rescue) but this sounds even worse than those challenges!
Sue
It is a different type of bad is all... Not something you want to risk. Another reason why a fecal on any cham you bring in is important. You can lose a lot of money on what you put in an enclosure if a fecal comes back positive for parasites.

Finally found a reptile vet that will let me pick up some test kits, obtain samples, bring them back to them, and they will do the test. They only require I bring in the animal is if the tests come back positive for parasites... they'll want to see it before they treat it. Sounds fair to me! Guess I'm going poop-hunting!
Sue
Edit: they just called back and no longer allow fecal drops offs..... they need to see the animal first and the earliest we can get in is March 17. :(

Finally found a reptile vet that will let me pick up some test kits, obtain samples, bring them back to them, and they will do the test. They only require I bring in the animal is if the tests come back positive for parasites... they'll want to see it before they treat it. Sounds fair to me! Guess I'm going poop-hunting!
Sue
Edit: they just called back and no longer allow fecal drops offs..... they need to see the animal first and the earliest we can get in is March 17. :(
Call them back and explain the situation of not wanting to add in extra stress and that you need to get a fecal done asap because you have other reptiles you do not want to risk contaminating. Ask them to get permission from the vet for the fecal drop off.

A good reptile vet will understand this. And they will then see the animal if treatment is needed. If they do not then they do not understand chameleons and that adding unneeded stress is harmful.

Here are the lights I scored from the person selling the Dragon Strand cage: I know what the heat lamp and the UVB are for, but what was the Arcadia LED light bar for?
Sue
Lighting jackpot.jpg

Call them back and explain the situation of not wanting to add in extra stress and that you need to get a fecal done asap because you have other reptiles you do not want to risk contaminating. Ask them to get permission from the vet for the fecal drop off.

A good reptile vet will understand this. And they will then see the animal if treatment is needed. If they do not then they do not understand chameleons and that adding unneeded stress is harmful.
They are closed from noon to 1:00.... will try calling in an hour.

Back
Top Bottom