Thinking of rescuing this guy . . .

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
Someone on the Facebook Chameleon Forum alerted me to this "For Sale" chameleon asking if anyone could please rescue it and give it a better home. I've tried communicating with the current owner and he doesn't know much about the chameleon, "thinks" it's a male, and thinks it's about 2 years old. I asked for a better photo and he sent this. I don't see any huge red flags against adopting this fella, do you?
Chameleon for sale.jpg

He is very overweight.... I wish I could see all sides of him to really tell you more. Not seeing external signs of mbd on this side of his body. Eye shape on his right eye looks off... Could be the angle of the picture though. Not seeing any prior thermal burns.

Could have parasites... Should you decide to go through with this you want to quarantine away from your other cham and not cross contaminate anything.

Thanks. Here is the photo that he has posted in his "for sale" ad. Obviously you can't see the eye very well but how sad and pathetic is that set up? It's what makes me want to go get him NOW.

View attachment 320517
Yep it is all too common... I wonder what kind of lighting he has... Can not tell much from the image. He is feeding him mealworms. :banghead:

Looks to be either the 16x16x30 or 18x18x36 cage too.

If you have the financial means to back up the vet care that could be needed then do it. You just never know what will turn up.

Yep it is all too common... I wonder what kind of lighting he has... Can not tell much from the image. He is feeding him mealworms. :banghead:

Looks to be either the 16x16x30 or 18x18x36 cage too.

If you have the financial means to back up the vet care that could be needed then do it. You just never know what will turn up.

THIS is the lighting, that's why I'm shocked we don't see signs of terrible MBD.

Chameleon for sale 3.jpg

THIS is the lighting, that's why I'm shocked we don't see signs of terrible MBD.

View attachment 320518
So this is the thing about compact bulbs... If they get right up on them especially with the stronger compacts they won't show external signs of deformity to the bones and jaw. But it does not mean there are not internal issues or softer bones from having the improper UVB source and distance. Honestly until you are able to see all limbs and angles you will not know since they have not given you good pics.

Keep in mind... adult Male veileds have some serious temper tantrums. They can be quite aggressive when it comes to their environment. You have to move slow to avoid being bitten.

Thanks for the wise words. I am trying to calm myself and keep some sort of balance between the giddy excitement I'm feeling over potentially getting this poor thing and the part of me that says "woah, slow down, woman, you have no idea what can of worms you may be opening up." Obviously the price is right because the cage alone is probably worth $80 (if it's in bad shape it can be my outdoor area for the cham) but who knows if this "great deal" would end up costing me a fortune in the long run. Maybe I should just order a new cage and be in the market for a young male if I really want another.

TRYING to be a rational, logical thinking adult but that is so hard for me when it comes to animals of any sort, and since I've been rescuing dogs, cats, turtles, and every other critter you can imagine for decades, it just seems to be my calling. Yes, I've even tried "saving" some broken men, some successfully, some epic fails. 😜

Thanks for the wise words. I am trying to calm myself and keep some sort of balance between the giddy excitement I'm feeling over potentially getting this poor thing and the part of me that says "woah, slow down, woman, you have no idea what can of worms you may be opening up." Obviously the price is right because the cage alone is probably worth $80 (if it's in bad shape it can be my outdoor area for the cham) but who knows if this "great deal" would end up costing me a fortune in the long run. Maybe I should just order a new cage and be in the market for a young male if I really want another.

TRYING to be a rational, logical thinking adult but that is so hard for me when it comes to animals of any sort, and since I've been rescuing dogs, cats, turtles, and every other critter you can imagine for decades, it just seems to be my calling. Yes, I've even tried "saving" some broken men, some successfully, some epic fails. 😜
I am not saying not to do it... Just know it is a box of god only knows what... I mean your having to do an entire set up again. So you know the expense you put out for the first one.

I would use this cage and modify until you get a fecal tested to be sure there is not a parasite issue. In the mean time order the right size enclosure and get it set up. Then depending on fecal results you have not cross contaminated into the permanent cage.

If you go get him get a box to put him in... push a branch through the bottom of the box about an inch up from the bottom so he has something to hold on to. Leave him in the box until you get his cage set back up with plants. First purchase for the temp cage is the T5HO fixture with the 5.0 bulb.

Try to get every detail out of the owner. You need to know about supplementation specifically. What and when. If they have only been using D3 then that is something you need to know because you want to pull him off D3 for a month to let it clear his tissues. Cham could be suffering from D3 overdose. Also if they have never used a multivitamin with A in it then could be vitamin A deficient.

I am not saying not to do it... Just know it is a box of god only knows what... I mean your having to do an entire set up again. So you know the expense you put out for the first one.

I would use this cage and modify until you get a fecal tested to be sure there is not a parasite issue. In the mean time order the right size enclosure and get it set up. Then depending on fecal results you have not cross contaminated into the permanent cage.

If you go get him get a box to put him in... push a branch through the bottom of the box about an inch up from the bottom so he has something to hold on to. Leave him in the box until you get his cage set back up with plants. First purchase for the temp cage is the T5HO fixture with the 5.0 bulb.

Try to get every detail out of the owner. You need to know about supplementation specifically. What and when. If they have only been using D3 then that is something you need to know because you want to pull him off D3 for a month to let it clear his tissues. Cham could be suffering from D3 overdose. Also if they have never used a multivitamin with A in it then could be vitamin A deficient.
Thanks, again, GREAT suggestions! I'm not too hopeful that I will get much information out of the owner (he's been very non-communicative, only replies once a day, and then only with one or two word answers). And from looking at the conditions the cham is living in I'm not very hopeful that it was given any decent food or supplements of any type.

I am online shopping as we speak looking for new habitat, lighting, etc. but won't pull the trigger on purchasing until I've decided to actually do this. And I love the idea of using his current cage until I have a fecal done..... very smart.

I volunteer at our local animal shelter and have dealt with and treated cats for coccidia, nasty stuff, but is it as contagious to other animals in the "reptile strain" as it is with cats? I certainly don't need all my cats and dogs coming down with it.
Sue

Thanks, again, GREAT suggestions! I'm not too hopeful that I will get much information out of the owner (he's been very non-communicative, only replies once a day, and then only with one or two word answers). And from looking at the conditions the cham is living in I'm not very hopeful that it was given any decent food or supplements of any type.

I am online shopping as we speak looking for new habitat, lighting, etc. but won't pull the trigger on purchasing until I've decided to actually do this. And I love the idea of using his current cage until I have a fecal done..... very smart.

I volunteer at our local animal shelter and have dealt with and treated cats for coccidia, nasty stuff, but is it as contagious to other animals in the "reptile strain" as it is with cats? I certainly don't need all my cats and dogs coming down with it.
Sue
Coccidia in reptiles is reptile specific from my understanding. So cross contaminating anything from reptile to reptile is not advised. However... I would not let your cat or dog lick a fecal :hilarious: So your contamination is from the oocysts in the fecal... It is a whole can a worms and best not to stress unless a fecal comes back positive.

I would be surprised if there was a parasite issue based on the weight he is holding... Typically you see it with underweight chams not a chubby buddy like this. But you never know so being cautious is advisable.

Per knowing the supplements... Just try to get it out of the guy when you go. Take pics of what he has been using and try to get them to tell you how often. You will have a better idea if his targeting or tongue extension is off.

anyways good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

Coccidia in reptiles is reptile specific from my understanding. So cross contaminating anything from reptile to reptile is not advised. However... I would not let your cat or dog lick a fecal :hilarious: So your contamination is from the oocysts in the fecal... It is a whole can a worms and best not to stress unless a fecal comes back positive.

I would be surprised if there was a parasite issue based on the weight he is holding... Typically you see it with underweight chams not a chubby buddy like this. But you never know so being cautious is advisable.

Per knowing the supplements... Just try to get it out of the guy when you go. Take pics of what he has been using and try to get them to tell you how often. You will have a better idea if his targeting or tongue extension is off.

anyways good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.
You KNOW I'll be back with questions.... thanks for being here. :)
Sue

Uggg that’s what I thought the cage was. 😬 get a fecal done as soon as you can.
Never been given calcium or vitamins.... I can't believe he looks as good as he does, but I should probably reserve that comment till I see him in person.
Sue

Bless you for deciding to give this poor guy a chance and much better life. 💗 Sending you all the good juju that with your TLC he makes a full and speedy recovery.
Thanks! We're going to need all the good juju we can get. I'm still a new cham Mom, but I did LOTS of reading and research before I brought home my juvenile female veiled about a month ago so I think I pretty much know what they need. I also know there's still lots I probably don't know so appreciate all the help and thoughts. :)
Sue

Back
Top Bottom