Thinking of breeding

Owen34

Hi ive got cammi had her a year now. She had two lots of eggs. Was getting her some food today & my friend in the shop reckons i should try breeding her? Is it hard work to try this?

The hardest part of breeding is selling all the babies and housing them all. Are you prepared to house a lot of babies if they don't sell by they time they need to be separated? A lot of money goes into breeding.

What kind of cham?

There are some good podcasts on the subject at chameleonbreeders.com . One particular one is breeding for the first time.

I would make sure I am able to raise the majority of the food. If you buy crickets... I think it is about 1000 per week for a clutch of 20. My memory may be off. If you can off set these costs with fruit flies and latter bean beetles and dubias, you might stay in the black.

Research and plan on how to house babies. Individual housing is preferable but very few people have 20 cages. If you raise them in a bin, you still need severe rally cages because some chams grow faster than others.

Consider your time. Lots of misting, feeding and cleaning. Observing each cham for health takes time as well.

Once you think of all these things, if you're exited about it, then go for it. It will be fun. If you're not exited, then don't. It won't be.

Back
Top Bottom