Thinking about next cham

I've been thinking about what reptile i want to add next to my collection. i have a pair of white lined geckos, but that isnt really anything. i decided im going to continue having more chams then other animals. so here are my choices, unless i find something way cool available.

pardalis, jacksonii, t. quad, or cristatus.

im not at all intimidated about the care, and im certainly ready to get fecals done right away, and i also have some panicure already on hand.

if been wanting to work with pardalis alot lately, to gain my knowledge and be able to help people out with care as well, but i also love montanes the most, and want to broaden my collection with more of them.
all species would be male, any inputs? its really hard.

also, i know pardalis is out, but would any of those species be able to fit in a 38g flexarium? from what i've read jacksonii, and quads only need cages 30-34'' tall. I READ THAT FROM FLCHAMS. and im sure cristatus could fit along in the same sizes as well, but could be mistaken. i dont know there activity level.

im still working on my latin names and species so i dont know much about the species youve mentioned. ( jacksonii = jackson????? ) if so i think the horns r kool just like a dinosaur. by GF doesnt like so i cant have one but im sure whatever u pick he will be lucky to goto a great keeper.

yeah Pardalis - panther, jacksonii - jacksons, quadricornis - 4 horned cameroon sailfin, cristatus - crested chameleon,

i dont even know the common names exactly lol. i litteraly just had to look up the common names :eek:

ya the common to the latin transition is tricky LoL im looking into a nosy be right now as far as i know that is pather Furcifer pardalis ????? love thier blue colours

yeah Pardalis - panther, jacksonii - jacksons, quadricornis - 4 horned cameroon sailfin, cristatus - crested chameleon,

i dont even know the common names exactly lol. i litteraly just had to look up the common names :eek:

I love quadricornis, they are just the coolest chameleon ever. I have never has a cristatus but would like one someday. Let me know what you decide. I also do enjoy my jackson, they are a good cham.

I love quadricornis, they are just the coolest chameleon ever. I have never has a cristatus but would like one someday. Let me know what you decide. I also do enjoy my jackson, they are a good cham.

i know how much you love quads laurie, and trust me they are everything in one, gorgeous, unique, montane guh! lol. cristatus is the first chameleon i ever wanted. im glad it worked out that i didnt get them though lol i am surely confident i can keep one now though, im not worried about it. i was even thinking about moving my chams downstairs this summer, but id have to see where :( my dad and brother play drums and guitar down there :(

In my humble opinion, unless you can find captive born, you are probably better off steering clear of cristatus. You are unlikely to find cb available. The wc come in, in terrible condition sometimes and can be tricky for even experts to acclimate. It isn't terribly common and again, just my opinion, but doesn't belong in casual hands.

Quads do better, but compared to a cb veiled, an imported quad is still a big gamble. CB quads can be an excellent choice, but have *very* different requirements from your veiled. They are more sensitive to humidity, high temperatures, and vitamins and minerals. One of my favorite chameleons though. I bred these in the past. They have lovely skin.

Jacksons are a better choice for a second chameleon, but again, I'd recommend a captive bred and at least a few months old and feeding on 1/2" crickets. WC are still more of a gamble than a veiled and babies are more delicate than baby veileds. Most people like to claim these are hardy and compared to the other two I just mentioned they are much hardier, but I'll bet most wc adults are dead within 12 months or so of being purchased. Another of my favorites though- if you have your heart set, if you can find the cb feeding on 1/2" crickets you will have an animal that will likely last you several years.

Panthers- you can hardly go wrong if you are doing well with veileds. CB panthers are easy to find and well started cb that are feeding on 1/2" crickets are easy to find which is a very nice bonus. Care is about the same as veileds. They come in all sorts of color locales so there are lots of variety to choose from.

My advice is go with the panther. Then later add the jacksons, then a quad, then if you are serious about breeding, the cristatus.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, unless you can find captive born, you are probably better off steering clear of cristatus. You are unlikely to find cb available. The wc come in, in terrible condition sometimes and can be tricky for even experts to acclimate. It isn't terribly common and again, just my opinion, but doesn't belong in casual hands.

Quads do better, but compared to a cb veiled, an imported quad is still a big gamble. CB quads can be an excellent choice, but have *very* different requirements from your veiled. They are more sensitive to humidity, high temperatures, and vitamins and minerals. One of my favorite chameleons though. I bred these in the past.

Jacksons are a better choice for a second chameleon, but again, I'd recommend a captive bred and at least a few months old and feeding on 1/2" crickets. WC are still more of a gamble than a veiled and babies are more delicate than baby veileds. Most people like to claim these are hardy and compared to the other two I just mentioned they are much hardier, but I'll bet most wc adults are dead within 12 months or so of being purchased. Another of my favorites though- if you have your heart set, if you can find the cb feeding on 1/2" crickets you will have an animal that will likely last you several years.

Panthers- you can hardly go wrong if you are doing well with veileds. CB panthers are easy to find and well started cb that are feeding on 1/2" crickets are easy to find which is a very nice bonus. Care is about the same as veileds. They come in all sorts of color locales so there are lots of variety to choose from.

My advice is go with the panther.

hey flux, thanks for the tips. i should have been clearer though, this is not my first chameleon. as a matter of fact, its my 5th and my 9th ive worked with. i've successfully acclimated one k. multi that was in absolutely terrible condition. from vitamin/calcium defficiencies, very underweight and he is going stronger then ever and is a thick beast lol.

im not too worried about WC, cuz like i said i am ready for fecals ,ive got panicure on hand, i would make sure i'd have a guarantee and i wouldnt choose something that looked very bad out of shape like my fischer's did.

panthers would only be bought for color, dont get me wrong, i love panthers and im starting to not hate on the prices so much as i used to lol. but i am more of an uncommon type guy, panthers are a cliche to me. i know that i will eventually get one anyways, it could possibly be my next too lol. but it isnt my first choice.

i do however strongly agree with not getting a wc cristatus, just because i know they are very delicate. there was a member on here a couple months ago in ottawa i believe, he had some for 200$ CB hatchlings. as far as price goes, 200$ is the same if not a 3/4 less than panthers. but that price is also a steal for a CB baby of a species like that. imo

Ah- sorry. Your question about cage size and the species you are considering threw me and thought maybe you had only kept veileds. Sorry :eek:

In that case- jacks are about like your multi as far as requirements.

Quads are probably my favorite on your list- just realize they are a different beast completely. Low temps and high humidity and minimal vitamin/mineral supplementation. I sort of feel about them similar to the cristatus- seems a waste to make a pet out of a loner when they aren't bred very often. That's just me though- and a CB male would be a great way to go for a pet- would support a breeding effort and they are super cool looking (and feeling- wonderful skin texture).

quad or cristatus it will be so far. lol, you guys can feel free to make suggestions too. if you know of some even cooler looking chams that roll often through expos and the ontario trade, let me know!

quad or cristatus

Yay, we have very similar taste! lol. That will come in handy... haha.
Those were the main two breeds that really caught my eye the most too.
I say you should get two of each and start breeding. Then when I'm ready for my 2nd one, I'll have my fave babies right "next door". :D

Back
Top Bottom