thinking about getting a veild

HPLH221

ive been researching for a little over 3 weeks now reading alot about them and i decided i want to get a female veild.

I have some questions

for the egg box what kind of sand should i use? playsand mixed with a little bit of reptile bark or what kind of sand?

How big does the enclosure have to be?can anyone recommend some goodones
maybe like the ones by apogee or http://www.flchams.com/cages.asp

Can i mist for 5 minutes and setup 2 drippers before school,then come home and mist for like 10 min when i come home?

What do you do for drainage because all that water has to go somewhere, do u put like a rubbermaid container inside with a hole for tubing in the bttom and then just drain out?

Should i offer vegatables to my veild or when they say they eat the live plants inside are vegatables fed in adition?

thanks

yeah,get a femail veiled !

hi, i got my first chamelion a few months ago, shes a lovely wee veiled called nazz.i would recomend a flexarium{175 gallon}its 4ft high by 2.5 wide and deep,its worth getting ,she has plenty room to roam and grow.you can buy a plastic liner for the bottom,i also have two large plastic tubs at the bottom,one full of sand {kids playsand},the other i use to collect the water from my dripper{i have a couple of stones in it,just in case she ends up in it,at least she has a way out!you really shoulnt use anything on the floor of the viv/flexarium,they arent messy and dont crap much ! get everything set up and running first,then get her,save changing things about at the start,you want her to settle in with no fuss at first. mist her twice daily at least,leave the dripper on ,that seems to work for me! enjoy your veiled,i do!

regards , martin !

also !

offer a lettuce leave or something daily , she may eat it , she may not , but give her the choice anyway.i use a clip inside my vivarium,cable tied to a branch,i stick a leave in daily,she ignores it mostly,but has wolfed it down once or twice,but its always there for her anyways !

tonight for some reason,she was tuggin and tryin to munch a bit of plastic plant for a bit,but wouldnt look at the lettuce !! dum ass, but a cool dum ass !

martin

I don't mean to offend ... and I'm certainly not sexist:).....BUT, I really fail to understand why a potential first time owner who has done a bit of research chooses a female.
Read through the recent egg problem threads (there are several right now) the stress that this is causing those owners and the extra....well everything!
My, very strong, opinion is that first time keepers start with a male veiled.

-Brad

females have a kool green color and i hear they arent as territorial

i dont know im still thinking thanks for the help.

What are everyone elses Opinions?

My female would rip my hand off, my male is weirdly handleable. My female is about to lay eggs, it is stressful.

I'm with Brad, there just aren't as many possible troubles there are with females... give it a whirl and see how it goes for you then down the road add a female to the mix...

i would have to agree with the majority, males have better coloring larger casques and are easier to keep

im not bent on having a female but it would be nice i suppose,will all male veilds hate handling?, when i mean handling i mean like once like every 2 weeks or so

Only once did my male try to bite me, I put on some gloves and just kinda made him get on my hand to show him im not going to hurt him... we are predators to them.I try to let mine know I am not to hurt them, I hand feed my female, my male will not let me hand fee, i think its his need to hunt so i let him, but in summer time I handle the male a lot more, by taking him outside and putting him in the tree in the front yard to bask and stuff, he likes it and we bond a little i guess. hahah

Only once did my male try to bite me, I put on some gloves and just kinda made him get on my hand to show him im not going to hurt him... we are predators to them.I try to let mine know I am not to hurt them, I hand feed my female, my male will not let me hand fee, i think its his need to hunt so i let him, but in summer time I handle the male a lot more, by taking him outside and putting him in the tree in the front yard to bask and stuff, he likes it and we bond a little i guess. hahah

what kind of gloves, ren?
where can i buy those?

i'm about to handle my veiled cham for the first time in 2 weeks so that he won't keep thinking me as a threat.
he does hiss at me one time when he think that i am about to attack him during basking time.

Ok i Got some more questions

Wheres the best place in a house to put a chameleon?

How Do u guys keep from getting water everywhere misting? if u have a chameleon cage against the wall wouldnt the water eventually hit the wall?

Back
Top Bottom