Things have changed. Need help Jackson juvenile slightly black while sleeping

Instead of my original thought I rescued a Jackson chameleon that was at my pet supermarket down the street while I was getting my dog some new food. Well I say this little guy and decided to get him instead of saving for a panther due to his living conditions. Very in the moment but I have the right set up and everything since Cbreptiles screwed me over and ripped me off I have all the lighting things that he will need and etc but we was a little upset with me that I woke him up to put him in his new cage he is slightly black not a lot but enough that I notice it he hasn’t turned back into the light green color since I left him alone to sleep

advice?

Could you post some pics, please, along with filling out this form in as much detail as possible? CB Reptiles isn't the greatest for healthy chameleons, either, sadly. @Mendez @JacksJill @Kaizen

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

If he's brand new it could be caused by the stress of being in a new environment, but you should fill out the husbandry forum just incase there are any pointers we could give you. :)

Very young juvenile Jackson's will occasionally show a black and white mottled pattern. Some juveniles use it more than others. I suspect it is meant to conceal their outline. They do something similar in shades of green later on.

I am concerned that the pet store may have given you incorrect information on care, especially proper supplements. The wrong care can be lethal, like too much D3 or poor UVB. If you let us know what you are planning to do by answering the questions above we can help you avoid a lot of pit falls. Have you seen these? They have a lot of good info and we can help clarify anything you don't get.

Last edited:
Very young juvenile Jackson's will occasionally show a black and white mottled pattern. Some juveniles use it more than others. I suspect it is meant to conceal their outline. They do something similar in shades of green later on.

I am concerned that the pet store may have given you incorrect information on care, especially proper supplements. The wrong care can be lethal, like too much D3 or poor UVB. If you let us know what you are planning to do by answering the questions above we can help you avoid a lot of pit falls. Have you seen these? They have a lot of good info and we can help clarify anything you don't get.
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson, I’ve had him for 3 days
  • Handling - Held him first day haven’t since
  • Feeding - crickets he won’t try super worms yet idk why but he ate 9 crickets the second day and he only ate 3 this morning. I feed him in the morning but I may try to feed him when I get home I get home about 5 something i gut loaded them by feeding the crickets carrots and lettuce and and potato's
  • Supplements - in the attached photos and I haven’t cover them with it yet due to the pet store staying they already did it this week so I don’t want to over do it I plan on doing it starting next week
  • Watering - i have a mist king that I filtered water in it and it goes off 3 times a day first 3 mins at 8:30. Second one is at 12 for 3 mins and the 3 is at 5:30 for 4 mins and I do not ever see him drinking due to me being at work when it goes off I will see this weekend if he does since this will be the first official weekend id have him for also when I first wake up I mist with my filter spray bottle on the plants just in case he is thirsty
  • Fecal Description - haven’t seen any I only had him for a little awhile still just 3 days and I haven’t had him tested yet
  • History - the pet store couldn’t tell me anything because they didn’t no… shameful

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - extra large screen cage I’ll add the photos
  • Lighting - lighting in the extra photos but the basking buld is 100 w eco smart
  • Temperature - 69 sometimes in middle 70s after mister lowest at night is 68 I know because I have a gun thing that tells me the temp when I point at it
  • Humidity - im not sure I don’t have anything to let me know what it is but I have the misting going and I have shower curtains on the side to keep the humity at a certain level.. I’m trying
  • Plants - corn plant and a Lucca also in picture
  • Placement - he sat high up as you can see in the added picture and no vent is near him in our guest bed room which no one is in but he is near a window
  • Location - I live in Florida

Attachments

• 246EB539-3066-4A27-B16D-5E739B29B785.jpeg
    246EB539-3066-4A27-B16D-5E739B29B785.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 5CA78706-4413-4FAD-829F-4386ADCCABCF.png
    5CA78706-4413-4FAD-829F-4386ADCCABCF.png
    371.4 KB · Views: 89
  • A156C7C2-C1EE-4132-9D72-35014F81913E.jpeg
    A156C7C2-C1EE-4132-9D72-35014F81913E.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 15B9D381-23B3-444E-A0AD-2957A8F03BA2.jpeg
    15B9D381-23B3-444E-A0AD-2957A8F03BA2.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 8437F9ED-390A-4975-B27C-6CE76BF3C27B.png
    8437F9ED-390A-4975-B27C-6CE76BF3C27B.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 94
Most of your setup looks pretty good! I'll include a few tweaks I would make.
Feeding - crickets he won’t try super worms yet idk why but he ate 9 crickets the second day and he only ate 3 this morning. I feed him in the morning but I may try to feed him when I get home I get home about 5 something i gut loaded them by feeding the crickets carrots and lettuce and and potato's
Since he's from the pet store he likely hasn't been exposed to many food options besides crickets and mealworms, so it may take a little bit of time and patience to get him used to new food options. I would focus on gutloading the crickets really well, get rid of the lettuce and potatoes & instead use mustard greens, collard greens, kale, papaya, oranges, sweet potatoes, etc and blend them, freeze them in ice cube trays, and feed them to the crickets. I'll include a gutloading infosheet as a visual aid:
chameleon-gutload (1).jpg

Fecal Description - haven’t seen any I only had him for a little awhile still just 3 days and I haven’t had him tested yet
Hopefully you will get a sample soon, I would definitely recommend prioritizing testing him for parasites since he's from the pet store and he seems to be
on the older side it may be likely that he is wild caught.

Temperature - 69 sometimes in middle 70s after mister lowest at night is 68 I know because I have a gun thing that tells me the temp when I point at it
The low tempatures are good, but the only thing I would say is that Jackson's benefit from a temperature drop as low as 60 or even in the 50s, so maybe if you have a fan run that at night.

Humidity - im not sure I don’t have anything to let me know what it is but I have the misting going and I have shower curtains on the side to keep the humity at a certain level.. I’m trying
I suggest getting a govee temp/hygrometer reader, there are good ones on amazon and they are pretty inexpensive. I know a lot of keepers on here swear by them and I also use one for my snake.
https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Thermo...=1623166327&sprefix=govee+temp,aps,212&sr=8-9

Plants - corn plant and a Lucca also in picture
I suggest adding more horizontal branches (if you have a wooded area near you it is easy to find some pretty good ones, just clean them off with soap and water or bake them, nothing too harsh like bleach) and maybe some more hanging foliage or some more foliage in the middle area to ensure he feels safe, especially since he's brand new.

I believe that is what i'd suggest for now, but you are doing a good job! Also, I vote casper :)

Back
Top Bottom