Thermal burn? Or just starting to shed?

Twunkles

Help! I'm still a very new veiled chameleon owner but I consider myself at least very well taught in chameleon care. However, I dont know if I am overreacting here or not, but just want to bepre cautious, is this a thermal burn? Or is he just starting to shed? Full disclosure, he is about 4-5 months old, basking spot is about 5-6 in away with a 60w bulb, and he has been eating well.

Attachments

• 20181112_174829.jpg
    20181112_174829.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20181112_174841.jpg
    20181112_174841.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 120
Looks like the beginning of a shed to me. You’ll be able to clearly see whether or not it’s a shed over the next few days.

Looks like the beginning of a shed to me. You’ll be able to clearly see whether or not it’s a shed over the next few days.
If it is a thermal burn, how would I know over the next couple of days? Also, a reptile expert/friend of mine seems to agree with you that it's most likely the beginning of a shed. Sorry, I just want to make sure Pascal is okay

I personally haven't had to deal with a thermal burn *knock on wood* but from what I've seen in the veterinary field and from other keepers that post on this forum, a thermal burn is a bit more of a solid area and grayish to color. If you peruse the health forum and search for any thermal burn inquiries you will see multiple examples of a thermal burn. To help prevent this from occurring, make sure your temperatures are within the correct parameters and you don't have the basking area too close to the light. You may even want to suspend the basking lamp above the enclosure by a few inches if it comes to that. If over the next few days you notice that the skin isn't shedding off and is a consistent coloration of gray that is when you will want to consult an experienced veterinarian to receive the appropriate medications to apply to the area.

While you’re at it, could you fill out the ask for help form and post a pic of his enclosure, please?

Back
Top Bottom