The start of Fungal dermatitis ?

Beppo

Chameleon Enthusiast
IMG_5018.jpeg

I hope I am just being paranoid, but would this be cause for a vet visit? There’s what looks like the start of a shed on his head but I’ve been watching this for weeks and now it seems to be spreading down his back? Is this the start of a fungal dermatitis? Any feed back appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_5017.jpeg
    IMG_5017.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 32
I’m not positive but I’ve been watching it and it seems to have spread, I’ll try the wet a-tip this weekend on my days off and see how that does. Thanks
I mean it does not look like an oh my gosh what is happening thing to me... Beman will get this white look but its always before a shed.

I mean it does not look like an oh my gosh what is happening thing to me... Beman will get this white look but its always before a shed.
Yeah when it’s was just a little on his head I wasn’t too concerned, but maybe the rest is the start of a shed because that typically is what it looks like. Anyways thanks for the feed back, I’ll see what happens over the next few days, try the wet Q-tip and update here ☺️ thanks again

Yeah when it’s was just a little on his head I wasn’t too concerned, but maybe the rest is the start of a shed because that typically is what it looks like. Anyways thanks for the feed back, I’ll see what happens over the next few days, try the wet Q-tip and update here ☺️ thanks again
You will find as he matures he will shed more in sections... This may be what is happening. He is about to shed a section.

I hope not. To me it looks like he's beginning a shed. I believe Spike gets this shortly before he does. I'm gonna look at some of my past pics of him real quick to see if I find anything similar. I'm addicting to taking pictures of him so I literally have pics of him from.........every day.

Ok so I think I see the same here with Spike @Beppo

To me it looks like skin getting ready to be shed. These pics were taken like a day to a couple days before he shed iirc. More so on Spikes head but it looks the same ti me

Screenshot_20231006_134452_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231006_134518_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231006_134428_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231006_134428_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006_134428_Gallery.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Ok so I think I see the same here with Spike @Beppo

To me it looks like skin getting ready to be shed. These pics were taken like a day to a couple days before he shed iirc. More so on Spikes head but it looks the same ti me

View attachment 344531View attachment 344532
View attachment 344533
Ok thank you! I guess it was concerning because the head has been that way for weeks and then it started going down his back yesterday.. or at least that is when I noticed it. Is it normal for their heads to just look a little dry and crusty as they age?

Ok thank you! I guess it was concerning because the head has been that way for weeks and then it started going down his back yesterday.. or at least that is when I noticed it. Is it normal for their heads to just look a little dry and crusty as they age?
All I know is Spikes shedding process doesn't happen overnight. I will see "signs" of a shed coming at least a week or two in advance. As the days get closer to when he's actually gonna shed, I start seeing this. Especially in that week. And then one day.... POOF! He's blowing up his shed out of nowhere.

I definitely wouldn't worry, but keep an eye on it just to make sure. Maybe look for some other signs that a shed is coming on soon, and of course just monitor overall behavior. It really just looks like he's getting ready for a shed soonish to me.

View attachment 344518
I hope I am just being paranoid, but would this be cause for a vet visit? There’s what looks like the start of a shed on his head but I’ve been watching this for weeks and now it seems to be spreading down his back? Is this the start of a fungal dermatitis? Any feed back appreciated
Gosh he has beautiful colors! 💙 Even dulled out ready to shed he’s so nice.

All I know is Spikes shedding process doesn't happen overnight. I will see "signs" of a shed coming at least a week or two in advance. As the days get closer to when he's actually gonna shed, I start seeing this. Especially in that week. And then one day.... POOF! He's blowing up his shed out of nowhere.

I definitely wouldn't worry, but keep an eye on it just to make sure. Maybe look for some other signs that a shed is coming on soon, and of course just monitor overall behavior. It really just looks like he's getting ready for a shed soonish to me.
Gosh he has beautiful colors! 💙 Even dulled out ready to shed he’s so nice.
Oh thank you so much! He really is beautiful 🤩💚

No real update on this. I haven’t used a w-tip to see if it comes off, I decided not to because he’s just moved to his bigger enclosure and is already pretty upset with me… and I don’t want to push him over the edge so I’m keeping an eye on it and hoping he’s gonna bust a shed soon…

Back
Top Bottom