the size of a lay bin for ambilobes

salty dog

Chameleon Enthusiast
I used a 5 gallon bucket cut at 12 inches deep, at that depth it's around 16 inches wide, my female dug down one side then tunneled down almost all the way, then completely to the other side.....to me thats excessive!! My poor little sweetheart!! What is the smallest lay bin anybody has used successfully??

I don’t think giving her extra from laying is excessive. Its almost like saying why give them suck a big cage when they only stay in one spot most of the day? IMO of course

I don’t think giving her extra from laying is excessive. Its almost like saying why give them suck a big cage when they only stay in one spot most of the day? IMO of course
In the wild they tend to lay by roots of trees or bushes. So naturally they don't dig very deep in the wild. Just as far as the roots will let them. In captivity they seem to dig excessively. Almost to the point of death by exhaustion. My theory behind this is we maybe giving them to much depth.

It's been mentioned from a few people that breed or study in the wild that our lay bins are probably too deep. It seems to work in captivity, but they often look for an object whether it be a rock, roots, etc. I've heard the thought is, when they dig so deep, they're stopping at the bottom to lay against a hard surface.

I thought this as well but wanted to confirm, she layed them against the bottom side, the opposite from which she started, man, she dug so far for a little bifold foot cham, thats unnecessary!! Would a 10 x 10 work?

Yes I'm by no means suggesting anyone go smaller in size but maybe smaller in depth maybe 8 or 10" deep. I do not keep females therefore I have no experience in this matter. Only going by the research I've heard and read.

In the wild they tend to lay by roots of trees or bushes. So naturally they don't dig very deep in the wild. Just as far as the roots will let them. In captivity they seem to dig excessively. Almost to the point of death by exhaustion. My theory behind this is we maybe giving them to much depth.
I agree. In the wild they can't usually dig anywhere near that deep and I'm sure we make it too hard for them.

Back
Top Bottom