The room

Mansfield

Established Member
Hi All! So, I know we give so much focus and attention to the interiors of our enclosures, but I’m having a moment of contemplation in regards to the rest of the room/area that houses our dear friends. I know there is a huge matter of personal taste and subjectivity, but I am looking for what people might be putting AROUND the enclosure, or how they are making the room more themed! Any inspiration welcome!

Hi All! So, I know we give so much focus and attention to the interiors of our enclosures, but I’m having a moment of contemplation in regards to the rest of the room/area that houses our dear friends. I know there is a huge matter of personal taste and subjectivity, but I am looking for what people might be putting AROUND the enclosure, or how they are making the room more themed! Any inspiration welcome!

I had Lily's enclosure on an oversized stand with a jungle of plants to either side, leeching off her overlong plant lights. Had to move her to a smaller stand due to space constraints, but I loved it!

I also have a decorative panther chameleon plate that I was gifted, and a number sticker that I placed on Lily's olanter box haha

We built stands for ours to make it look more furniture-like. Havent descided yet as to wether to stain them or paint them white like out beadboard.

My house is a hot mess at the moment, but I have tall house plants and of free range trees next to them. I think with a nice stand and plant/branch setup they make a great focal point in any room.

@jannb has some great examples of living with chameleons! I especially loved the green wall in her last home. Hopefully she will post some.

I was told at the very beginning that the enclosures needed to look like part of the furniture if they were going to be out in the main living area, so it was a great excuse to buy a table saw and get to work ;) . I enclosed the misting system and lighting so they are not visible and stained the wood to match the decor.

1580049317906.png

Right now I am building an upgraded enclosure to replace the original build...

We just got everything moved in to this house and I have a traditional job during the week (and a wife who keeps buying furniture for me to put together), so it's kind of a cluttered mess. Plus I'm working on the cages still, but that never ends. Here's the mess of my cham room at the moment:

20200126_093916.jpg

My two males are in the front left. 3 females in the back left. A skink in the middle lower left. My plants under a grow light in lower left. Female veiled is center of the back. Center right is my gargoyle gecko and below him is my williamsi enclosure (williamsi isn't arriving until next month). Then front right is my beardie. I have plants all around, bug bins, decor items, etc. I have plans for the room, but it will take lots of time!

The concept is to make it as close to a forested area as possible. Climate control is pretty easy to maintain - all the windows open up and there is a 3 tier sliding door that leads to the house. I wish the ceiling was about 6 inches taller so I could suspend my lights better, but otherwise i like it. I used to have a smaller sized office with just one large window for my boys and girls and bugs... now i can organize it a little better, hang plants and lights, keep the bugs together and have my plant nursery in one room!

For now though... it's just a mess however!

We just got everything moved in to this house and I have a traditional job during the week (and a wife who keeps buying furniture for me to put together), so it's kind of a cluttered mess. Plus I'm working on the cages still, but that never ends. Here's the mess of my cham room at the moment:

View attachment 257169

My two males are in the front left. 3 females in the back left. A skink in the middle lower left. My plants under a grow light in lower left. Female veiled is center of the back. Center right is my gargoyle gecko and below him is my williamsi enclosure (williamsi isn't arriving until next month). Then front right is my beardie. I have plants all around, bug bins, decor items, etc. I have plans for the room, but it will take lots of time!

The concept is to make it as close to a forested area as possible. Climate control is pretty easy to maintain - all the windows open up and there is a 3 tier sliding door that leads to the house. I wish the ceiling was about 6 inches taller so I could suspend my lights better, but otherwise i like it. I used to have a smaller sized office with just one large window for my boys and girls and bugs... now i can organize it a little better, hang plants and lights, keep the bugs together and have my plant nursery in one room!

For now though... it's just a mess however!

This is pretty much what my first floor looks like and Ive lived here for 6 years. :p I see space for more plants.

This is pretty much what my first floor looks like and Ive lived here for 6 years. :p I see space for more plants.
There is ALWAYS room for more plants! I add to my orchid collection every time my wife needs bird toys. Fair trade in my book!

Attachments

• 20200126_093933.jpg
    20200126_093933.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 76
There is ALWAYS room for more plants! I add to my orchid collection every time my wife needs bird toys. Fair trade in my book!
Oh, that's the Sansi "helicopter" LED that you gave it to code for btw. Works great for that spot, thanks!

I need more grow lights if I get any more plants though, has been too cold for the outside.

Im using one on my free range... gives a great spread! I snuck home two 10’ fiddle leaf figs yesterday and i now I think I may have a problem.
I can just picture you with a 10ft tree behind you creeping around a corner, lol!

I also tend to "sneak in plants". My day job sends me to Lowes and Home Depot quite frequently and I've found some awesome plants on clearance (and not). To be fair, I also ended up getting those giant cast aluminum shelves in my pics for free when I demo'd out an old bar for work. So I can splurge on a plant or two when I save a few hundred bucks on shelving!

Love all those windows @Hashtag ChamLife! Natural light and gives chams a view.
Was one of the selling points of this place. My wife gets the pool and I get the cham room. All those windows open too, which is perfect when it's not searingly hot! Keeps me from having to rotate them to my free range all day long, which is nice. I really like the space... I just have to get busy and fix it up proper. The best part is I have space for at least 6 more chams!

Back
Top Bottom