The one secret Cham owners never tell!

daveo

Established Member
Chameleons die!​

There I said it. For all you people thinking of getting a chameleon, death is inevitable! I guess I knew that going into this journey with my beloved Jackson's. It was a wonderful two years I had with him. The infection happened to quickly for the vets to save him. I am really saddened right now but I want to spread the word to others thinking of keeping these beautiful reptiles.:(

Ya sadly they do eventually. :(
I haven't had one pass yet, but I know it's inevitable. My sister's friend who I got into chameleons got one as a baby from Screameleons, two weeks ago when he was about 11 months old he got put down because he had cancer. Some things you really can't predict despite husbandry.

The best thing you can do as an owner is to be vigilant and get to know their quirks and what is or isn't normal for each cham. My old boy Tommy had arthritis in his elbows and eventually a tumour on his liver. Both of my females had been taken to the vets within hours of me dfirst noticing something wasn't right, yet my first only lasted a further 5 days and my latest girl, Amy, went on for a couple of months. She had Pneumonia back in January that we though had been caught early but sadly, the infection had spread troughout her body and she was put to sleep in March.

The best advice to give new and current owners is to watch them and get to know them as often by the time they show any outward signs that something is wrong it is often too far advanced and too late to help them.

Dave i am really sorry you lost your Jackson. I have had a good number of chams and lost my fair share. I still can't lose one of my beloved chams with out me in tears for a good bit. Just who I am, I guess.

A friend once told me buying a cham is buying a ticking time bomb. It is going to go off we just have no idea when. I try to approach mine that way but it really doesn't help much.:(

First I would like to offer my condolences for you. Next, I realize you are upset but it sort of sounded as if you are scaring others into getting a chameleon. It's no secret that they do die but that happens with any pet you get. It is sad when this happens, yes, but it's no secret.

These precious little animals do die and way to soon. I try to do everthing possible for my chameleons. I give them the very best husbandry possible, larger variety of well gutloaded feeders that are supplemented correctly. I don't keep them caged, give them plenty of outside time and have the best vet care possible and they still die.

It's the very worst part of having any animal.

This is something that Dan once posted and I cry everytime I read it.

One thing all of us who keep and love animals, especially chameleons all have in common is that we will one day say good bye to our friends when the inevitable cycle of life claims them to move on.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you at this sad time :(

I worry about death constantly with my pets. The geckos like to sleep in funny positions to freak me out lol!

You see stories about some poor keeper losing chameleons all the tim, it's heart breaking, and even if you prepare yourself for it you're still devastated when it happens.

But you can't go through your entire pet experiences worrying and concentrating on death all the time. We all know that our loved ones are going to leave us someday, its nature! All we can do is our best and give them a great life while they're here :)

Really sorry to hear this.
One thing that was said to me a really kinda helped. Was that it was their last gift to you. You got to be involved in nearly every aspect of his sweet life and the death was no exception. You were always there and he showed you the true cycle of life.
R.I.P lil Jax

First I would like to offer my condolences for you. Next, I realize you are upset but it sort of sounded as if you are scaring others into getting a chameleon. It's no secret that they do die but that happens with any pet you get. It is sad when this happens, yes, but it's no secret.

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I am not trying to scare anyone. However, it is something that is not talked about at all when a person is initially getting into this hobby. These little guys and girls have a way of worming themselves into your heart like nobody's business. Then too soon they are gone. it is a fact that I just want people to know. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to get the word out. No one likes to talk about death, but it is a very harsh and inevitable fact of this endeavor.

All Chameleons in the wild also face death, except they face it daily from predators and the environment they live in.

I'm sure they also get diseases and battle scars from fights and there is no VET for them to go to in the wild.

They probably go hungry as I'm sure they don't always have a readily available food source as insect populations can vary seasonally.

They probably also get dehydrated from droughts and a little "mist" from a morning dew may not be enough to sustain them. I'm sure they get drenched during the monsoon seasons as well.

With that said, I think we, as Cham owners have a tremendous ammount of responsibility providing spacial enclosures, live plants, climbing vines, a daily diet of a variety of gut-loaded insects, proper humidity, heat, and the proper lights and temperature ranges necessary for their particular species.

If we continue to do our "homework", recognize immediately when things don't look right and be proactive with vet visits, and provide all we can, then we have done our best for our Cham.

I think about this daily, and realize that one day, the inevitable will happen as every creature has a "life-span".

When that day comes, I won't tear down my enclosures and have a garage sale of all the items I have bought, but I'll continue on with another Cham because these guys have a charming personality and have found a place in our hearts.

I hope my comments does not offend anyone, but I think that if you are not responsible and committed to your Cham, you are taking away life rather than promoting it.

Ringo is only 9 months old and I really hope I can continue to provide his daily needs get another 6+ years before time takes it's toll.

I guarantee I'll brow-beat myself and ask..."COULD I HAVE DONE MORE"?

Gary
Tampa, FL

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I am not trying to scare anyone. However, it is something that is not talked about at all when a person is initially getting into this hobby. These little guys and girls have a way of worming themselves into your heart like nobody's business. Then too soon they are gone. it is a fact that I just want people to know. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to get the word out. No one likes to talk about death, but it is a very harsh and inevitable fact of this endeavor.

I know what you mean. Everyone knows it in theory, but people don't talk about it much at the beginning. They are such special animals and I have kept a few 'exotic' pets - Chams do take you by surprise how much you get used to them and they become a part of your everyday life in a way that few other vivarium animals do (despite their reclusive nature).
Very different to a dog, no more sad when they die, but something gets you deep when your first Cham goes.
I understand your warning, but it's like warning someone their first girlfriend will leave them. Nobody can know how hard it will hit.
I hope you can care for any future pets just as much, so they get to experience a life really worth living before they are gone.
Everybody dies, you're born and then you die. The bit in between is called 'life' :D

The big secret in life is that we never know which day will be our last.

This does not just go for chams. Each and every one of us does not know how long we will live. The truth is the world can really suck sometimes--disease, loss of loved ones, and much more. We don't know how long we will be on planet Earth. So embrace it.

What I am trying to say is to make your chameleon's life as happy as you can for as long as you can. If you feel that you did your best in caring for your little buddy, then you have nothing more to worry about. My condolences.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Jackson, and I understand what you're trying to say. The death of these little creatures is inevitable (heck it is with everything but its just heartbreaking when its your beloved chameleon.) I have tried to put my feelings in perspective after losing my female Panther Coco a year ago. For me, I put so much of myself into them - time, dedication, love, care, concern and yes, even playfulness that when I lose one I really feel like I'm losing a part of myself. My love for my chameleon's borders on 'obsession' and I worry and stress over them every day. I have always housed my 2 veiled's in viv's in my living room and I will often just sit and enjoy watching them 'live' so I know immediately if something is wrong or if something is becoming a problem and believe me, I bore my husband to tears with my stories, concerns and signs of problems. Perhaps this isn't good for me, or isn't normal but then again I don't apologise to anyone about owning, loving or raising chameleons - and if anyone has a problem with how I react to losing one...well, thats their problem!!

Not sure what I'm trying to say here...just, I know how you are feeling right now and my heart goes out to you. 'nuff said.

I had my sambava for well over 5 years he was my best friend. He free ranged around my studio apt and was like a dog. He came when i called him he would sneak on my bed while i was asleep i would wake up to him sleeping on my chest. One day as i went to the vet for a check up he gave him a vit a shot and fucked up big time afterwards

I had to watch him suffer and his kidneys shut down. It destroyed me nothing I could do would help him. The day he died i was removed from the vets office by the cops as the vet was locked in a room screaming in fear. It took me 3 years to be able to get another cham. So I feel yah man

Back
Top Bottom