The Nutorious Dirt question!

false aralia safe - true or false

The "false aralia" should not be considered safe for grazing species like a veiled. In most books this plant will appear as "Dizygotheca elegantissima", but it is now considered to be a _Schefflera_. It is not on any "safe" plant list I know of; I may not be aware of all the lists that have been made.

While I do not have any specific data on poisonings with this species, it is a member of the _Araliaceae_, and, further, one from New Caledonia, where almost all woody plants seem to be toxic.

Far safer plant would be the Dwarf Scheff: S. arboricola - they are also a lot sturdier.

I would also agree with the others that the dirt should be behind a barrier of some sort, and the substrate should go.

Many people on the forum are under the impression that no substrate at the bottom of the enclosure is best. In addition to your cham being able to consume it, substrate in an enclosure with high humidty harbors bacteria. It will also make it easier for you to clean the enclosure.

Also, be sure not to dust with Calcium w/ d3 more then a couple times per month. Too much d3 can be as bad as not enough!

:)

lists

I found it on this sight: http://www.cleanlinechameleons.com/safeplant.php
I just realized though that that list is for panther's.... I would assume that lists for both chams are pretty much the same.

In any case, I took the aralia out as my cham didn't like it cause it didn't have many branches. I'll just stick with all fake, hibiscus, or ficus'.

Good move.

That list is a variation on another one I have seen; its not to be trusted - don't use it as gospel on "safe" plants.

So I took everyone's suggestion, and replaced the dirt with terrarium liner.... Yeah, Dingo wasn't happy about it, he was giving me the stink eye the whole time. But seriously, that little kid was constantly eating dirt because I think he thought it was delious! I check his poop constantly, and it's about 80% dirt, 20% other stuff (plants, insects, etc). It didn't seem like he was eating that much dirt, because I'd still see him eat quite a few crickets, then maybe one shoot of dirt a day, if that, but apparently he was eating more behind my back.

But yeah, if it was like a shoot of dirt a week, meh, let the kid be a kid and eat his dirt. But it was really bugging (and worrying) me. Soooo... yeah... happy new shiney liner in just to spite him. D:< lol

On a happier note, he had his first piece of squash the other day! I thought he was eating more dirt, and when I went to go take it out of his mouth, I saw that he had actually ate a piece of squash that fell out of his dish.

Thanks everyone!

Just a note on the Repashy superfoods suppliments... they are a complete suppliment. Calcium D3 and multi vit all in one. It is very popular with gecko owners. Here is a link for Allen Repashy's forum. He keeps update logs anytime he changes the formula on any of his products plus there's some great info on the compositions of his suppliment ratios. It's a pretty good resource to have even if the majority of what he does is for geckos, http://www.store.repashy.com/

So the liner has pretty much stopped him from eating dirt. I've caught him a couple times down at the bottom of the pots looking at the dirt, so I'm thinking I'll need to cover it up soon with rocks or whatever.

When he was eating dirt, his poops would be about 80% dirt and 20% bugs. Stunk a lot, but had a firm yet moist textur to it when you break it apart.
Since replacing the dirt, his last poop just now was 100% bugs, but was a bit moister than when he was eating dirt (and before he was eating dirt). I would describe the consistancy almost as cookie dough with bug chucks (like the shells of the exterior).
So my question is, is it ok if his poop is a little moister than normal? Should it firm up on it's on over time?

I mean, this IS the first poop that didn't have any dirt in it, so I guess it's ok if it's 'different' than the dirt poops, right?

Back
Top Bottom