the new quadricornis

satch4684

here he is, I didn't want to take him out yet so I tried getting the best pics I could of the shy guy. In the second to last pic you'll notice his broken horn, i guess you can't do much about shipping incidents like that :( regardless, he is awesome :D

I still need to get his "full" setup, with real plants and a much bigger cage, should be arriving any day now, I hope he does okay in this for the time being.

Attachments

• 2-23-10.jpg
    2-23-10.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5308.jpg
    IMG_5308.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5309.jpg
    IMG_5309.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5311.jpg
    IMG_5311.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5312.jpg
    IMG_5312.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 200
Nice guy! Sorry about the broken horn. When my Jackson's broke his, the vet had me apply a topical antibiotic (e.g. neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment, either of which you can get over the counter at a drugstore) daily for ten days, using a Q-tip. I don't know whether it was necessary or not, but it certainly didn't hurt.

thanks for the comments!

He's a WC from FLChams, the description there says young male. I was guessing about 5-6 inches, not accounting for much of the tail. I hope the 2x2x4 won't be too big for him.

@hallenhe that is great info, just regular neosporin? I have a tube of neo + pain relief. From what I understand there's a good chance it will heal okay by itself, but avoiding any chance of infection is definitely a better idea.

Make sure you keep the humidity up and the temps down for that guy, mist or fog him to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated. The bigger the cage the better for him so the 4 ft will be great, they sometimes seem to roam a lot and like a lot of foliage to hide in. Good luck with him, he does seem somewhat young but older then 6 months, possibly a year or so based on what sized we have seen with our captive bred ones.

Michelle

Make sure you keep the humidity up and the temps down for that guy, mist or fog him to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated. The bigger the cage the better for him so the 4 ft will be great, they sometimes seem to roam a lot and like a lot of foliage to hide in. Good luck with him, he does seem somewhat young but older then 6 months, possibly a year or so based on what sized we have seen with our captive bred ones.

Michelle

I can see what you mean with the roaming and foliage thing. In his current, temporary home, it does seem as if he's struggling to roam comfortably and find his cover with that one piece of fake leaves. Right now I have the the simple "cup w/ hole" dripper constant, and an auto mister going pretty often.

But, in addition to the larger cage, a fogger and ficus tree is on its way. the temp (the sensor inside points around the top of the cage) stays about 70-71, I was thinking about adding a low watt house bulb to get the top a few degrees hotter. but so far, from what i've heard they don't even like to bask.

I thought it would be a good idea to put him in the closet, and leave the sliding door covering his cage, it gives him more privacy since he is sort of lacking hiding places right now.

I wouldn't put him in the closet, there is no air movement. Maybe put a piece of light weight fabric over part of his cage, a sheet or pillow case would do the job. I have one of the quads from Michelle who posted some ideas, go with what she told you, my guy from Michelle & Josh is doing wonderful following what they told me to do. Also I try to not let my quads get above 74, I aim for 70 to 72. i have a second quad, from ChamEO rescue, and I love Tuffy, my first quad. There is no way not to love a quad.:) Enjoy!!

Awww, bummer about the horn in shipping. Nevertheless, quads are one of the ultimate chameleons, in my book. I wish Mike had told me he had West Africa in now. Oh, wait. Maybe it's a good thing he didn't. :eek: Crap, hope he doesn't see this cuz then he'll be calling. LOL Best of luck with that guy and hope to see updates!

I like him! I like the way you posted the pics. The first few are just like little hints of what he looks like leading up to his whole body like a little suspense movie :)

Congrats!

Hey congrats on the new guy!

Quads are a really great species; thye may not have the colors of some, but they're very expressive with their fins and sails.

Not much can be done about the horn, I suppose. Maybe you can send him to "Horn Club for Men" for a weave or something.:D

I have a trio and they *love* moisture. I have a fogger on all day piping three jets of fog into the cages, and also a dripper on each. I spray at least twice a day too (more when its warm). Its really common for them to sit under the dripper right in a stream of fog and take a "fog bath" for long periods.

Keep him hydrated. Give him lots and lots of cover in the form of plants with big leaves. They are a bit shy. Hand feeding may eventually warm him up to you.

Cheers.

thanks again everyone, that sheet idea is great, after I finish typing out of the closet he goes. I'm certainly glad this forum exists for access to great people who really know their stuff :cool:

I moved things around a bit, looked like one branch was too far from the habba mister, and just by luck it now splashes against the leaves to create a small mist cloud. Ran it 3 or 4 times in a row and he loves it, but I do see why the habba is sorta crappy now. I'll start handspraying as well.

Back
Top Bottom