the long trip is over

laurie

Retired Moderator
My ambanja male and I traveled only 600 miles yesterday. The vet, Eric Klaphake, was wonderful. He was very well versed on chams and is a keeper of chams. He spent 1 1/2 hours with one cham. Due to weather it was decided only the sick cham should make the trip. The others will visit him this summer.

The xrays showed he has fusing in his spine where it curves to the tail, nothing can be done. If he were a human he would have scoliosis. It is an inherited problem so the guy should never be breed. His life will be shorter and he may continue to fall. The vet had me buy sphagnum moss to go in the bottom of his cage to cushion any falls. He sent me home with Neocalglucon, Ben is to have 0.1 ml a day.

Ben is a great cham and I just wanted to know what the problem was, but I feel really bad that he may have pain and there is nothing I can do. All I plan is to continue to provide good care for him, and let him live his life.

What you're doing is way more than what a lot of people would do. Ben's lucky to have found you. My heart and thoughts are with you.

Wow 600 miles? That is amazing. I hope something can be done to make it a little better.

Poor thing! Im glad you're doing all you can for him.
You could also try putting a couple fluffly folded towel on the bottom of the cage (easier to clean than moss).

Thanks guys but Ben isn't the lucky one. I am the lucky one as Ben is a lovely animal who has never hissed or been agressive since I got him at about 2 months. He is now about 17 months.
When I retired at 55 I started to aquire more chams, hovever until we left Calif I didn't have room for very many. Now I have :)lots of room for all 11 of them and never cease to be fanicated when watching them. I figure it was my choice to move away from Dr. Greek so I owe it to my animals to provide the care required.
I ask a lot of questions on the forum because I have a vet here in town who will do what he can but isn't falimar with chameleons of any kind so I try to buy him books and know as much as I can when I need to see him. All of are a great help. Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom