the-lizard-lounge.com concerns

Xepera

Look at this pic (last one on this page):
http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/gallery/lizard-pictures/veiled-chameleon-1.asp (A young Veiled, or Yemen, Chameleon. Sent in by Hayley Webb from London, UK.)

This lack of responsibility really makes me angry. I sent mail about the pic three months ago + suggestions for improving their outdated care sheet but they did not even bother to answer me let alone act in any way. I wonder how many have searched for information about the Calyptratus species and found this. And how many now think that it's ok if chameleon looks like that or is housed like that.

The poor chameleon is clearly dying of malnutrition, dehydration or something similar. His tail is injured, ribs and other bones showing, casque and cheeks sunken as a sign of severe lack of water... His enclosure is a horrible example of chameleon care lacking even the minimum requirements.

Providing such educational photographs and presenting them as "normal" or "desirable" gives a wrong message to a reader searching for information about this animal. These kind of pics should only be shown with an explanation about that poor chameleons condition so that readers can avoid making the the same mistakes.

I think mailing them was the only thing I could do to try to make a difference. It clearly didn't help. Should I try to do something else or leave it be? That is after all "only" a picture somewhere + incorrect information.

im not sure what else you can do really but good for you for trying something. That last cham definately looks really bad, poor thing. I checked out the caresheet and couldnt believe what bad husbandry it is promoting, providing red/blue night lights, keeping humidity to a minimum??? using a substrate and more, brutal, that caresheet in the hands of a new owner could potentially equal dead chams.

I'm not sure people would think that's normal if they look at the other photos... Generally in all animals, if you can see a spine outline, there's a problem...

Back
Top Bottom