The Karma Progress Thread

Karma seems to be doing minimally better on his aggressive calcium and probiotic regimen, but he's not bouncing back nearly as well as hoped. At least he's not hanging out at the bottom of his planters with his eyes closed! However, I'm still very much on the fence regarding what I should do long term.

With most other animals, I can easily assess quality of life and reach an informed decision, but reptiles are much trickier (at least for me) to read. According to the "scale" I use for mammals and birds, Karma's quality of life really isn't very good. He('s):
  • completely uninterested in food
  • hides for most of the day (occasionally with his eyes closed)
  • seems uncomfortable (mostly re: his eye; scratching/rubbing, keeping it closed)
  • losing what little weight he's managed to gain
  • occasionally vomiting (though this has been resolved so far)
  • doesn't partake in enrichment activities (i.e. I released a black soldier fly in his cage to entice him to eat prior to syringe feeding - not even slightly interested)
  • seems depressed and dull
Maybe it's unfair to use a scale intended for radically different species... I don't know. I'm really struggling with this decision. I promised to keep fighting as long as Karma did, and the fight seems to have largely gone out of him. Is it cruel to keep prolonging his life? I don't want to rob him of his chance to recover by making a hasty decision, but it's a delicate balance. I can keep him going nearly indefinitely... but what kind of life is that, really?

At the end of the day I just don't want him to suffer.

~Amanda

Karma seems to be doing minimally better on his aggressive calcium and probiotic regimen, but he's not bouncing back nearly as well as hoped. At least he's not hanging out at the bottom of his planters with his eyes closed! However, I'm still very much on the fence regarding what I should do long term.

With most other animals, I can easily assess quality of life and reach an informed decision, but reptiles are much trickier (at least for me) to read. According to the "scale" I use for mammals and birds, Karma's quality of life really isn't very good. He('s):
  • completely uninterested in food
  • hides for most of the day (occasionally with his eyes closed)
  • seems uncomfortable (mostly re: his eye; scratching/rubbing, keeping it closed)
  • losing what little weight he's managed to gain
  • occasionally vomiting (though this has been resolved so far)
  • doesn't partake in enrichment activities (i.e. I released a black soldier fly in his cage to entice him to eat prior to syringe feeding - not even slightly interested)
  • seems depressed and dull
Maybe it's unfair to use a scale intended for radically different species... I don't know. I'm really struggling with this decision. I promised to keep fighting as long as Karma did, and the fight seems to have largely gone out of him. Is it cruel to keep prolonging his life? I don't want to rob him of his chance to recover by making a hasty decision, but it's a delicate balance. I can keep him going nearly indefinitely... but what kind of life is that, really?

At the end of the day I just don't want him to suffer.

~Amanda
Amanda,
I absolutely understand the struggle you're having. I know that whatever decision you make, it will be what you feel is in his best interest. You've done so much for him and I believe you will know when the time is right. <3

After some long, hard thought and reflection (graveyard shifts are good for that!), I've booked a tentative euthanasia appointment on the 16th (Saturday). I'm at peace with my decision, and believe it to be in Karma's best interest at this point. This is a compromise of sorts to allow Karma just a bit more time to rally, though it really doesn't look like there's much hope of him pulling through. If he declines any more, I'll bring him in sooner.

It's been one helluva journey, and I've learned a lot from it. I feel that I'll be well and truly prepared when I'm ready to being home another baby! Animals have always been good at finding me.

I appreciate all of the love and support! It's been a rough week.

~Amanda

After some long, hard thought and reflection (graveyard shifts are good for that!), I've booked a tentative euthanasia appointment on the 16th (Saturday). I'm at peace with my decision, and believe it to be in Karma's best interest at this point. This is a compromise of sorts to allow Karma just a bit more time to rally, though it really doesn't look like there's much hope of him pulling through. If he declines any more, I'll bring him in sooner.

It's been one helluva journey, and I've learned a lot from it. I feel that I'll be well and truly prepared when I'm ready to being home another baby! Animals have always been good at finding me.

I appreciate all of the love and support! It's been a rough week.

~Amanda
Good morning Beautiful! You are truly inspiring. The love and care you have provided has been 200%. You have gone above and beyond to try to nurse the little man back to health. I think that whatever your final decision is on the 16th will be the right one. You know him best and have his highest good in mind. If you need anything we are here for you. We support you in all of this. Sending you heaps of love and support. <3

Back
Top Bottom