The Grinch has arrived

E46M3

I know I'm going to get BASHED about how "YOU SHOULD NEVER KEEP A CHAMELEON IN A GLASS TANK", but the temperatures are fine, just like everyone else's and he's right by a window so he gets a nice cool breeze of fresh air.

-He seems a little shy and paranoid, I think its because last night was his first night..He also seems a little skinny to me? I've seen him eat a small cricket, and have not yet seen him drink. Im keeping a close eye on him. About to head out to the pet store and get him some worms.

Attachments

• firstday 8-13-10.jpg
    firstday 8-13-10.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 106
  • first day 8-13-10.jpg
    first day 8-13-10.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 115
Its totally your choice but there are other problems with glass cages than just temps.

He can see his reflection in the glass and stress him self out or even attack it and hurt him self.
Also since its not screen and chams require a good amount of misting the water doesnt clear up very well since there isnt a good air flow and it could lead to uris or bacteria infections in the eyes.
Also humidty could be too high when you mist and again lead to a URI.

There are just unessicary risks involved when using a glass tank.

But like I said its your call

If the sun ever shines in the window, you could have a problem. The biggest issue with glass is ventilation. Air blowing over the top is not sufficient. If there is ventilation along one side at the bottom, and the top is ventilated, then you're probably getting enough air flow through the environment.

This seems like an accident waiting to happen. Normal aquariums just to not seem to have adequate ventilation. Exo Terras and similar are another matter.
I could understand using glass in a colder place or somewhere with low humidity... but it seems unnecessary in your location.

I love the name!

His personality may just live up to it!
While not everyone has the desire or the ability to "put things gently", it's safe to say that pretty much everyone here wants to see you succeed in having a cham who is healthy and lives a long life.
I saw that someone recommended that you read this article:
http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html
Why?
The author is an expert on chameleons.
He does not say that you can't keep chams in glass enclosures--in fact, he states just the opposite BUT explains why some (such as aquariums) are not suitable for chams.
With chams being somewhat delicate animals, we are far better off preventing problems than trying to cure them.

Back
Top Bottom