The first week... Am I doing things right??

I think he just needs to settle first but youre doing the right thing by letting him come to you and not forcing him out, food is a great way to entice a cham to come out, what really works is just spending time in a room with him, not opening the cage or bothering him, just sit there, go on your phone, do something you need to do, anything just make sure he can see you, this builds a sense of security with him knowing you wont bother him everytime you come in and with him knowing he can easily walk away if hes uncomfortable, I hope he does well and he really is beautiful!

edit: also hand feeding is a great way to build trust but chams are like fish, they tend to not like handling so handle maybe once a week and see how that goes after hes settled
Thank you!

Ok, I will get the 6% tomorrow. Should i be concerned about his coloration or is he still adjusted to his new home?

Depends on the cham.. My Ambilobe is about a year and a half old now, and still doesn't willingly walk on to my hand, or want to be out of his cage. By now, I only take him out maybe once a month or so just to get a quick weight on him. My Ambanja is almost 3, and will willingly come to the front of his cage, and straight out on to my arm 9 times out of 10. My process with both was the same - I would just stand in front of the cage with the door open, holding a feeder until they took it. When they got comfy with that, I'd put my arm in the cage, and hold it there, but hold the feeder in my other hand outside the cage.. Eventually Olaf would come out and take the feeder - Ninja still can't be bothered. If he can't reach it from where he's at without stepping on me, he doesn't want it. I got both at very young ages (about 4 months old)

Wow!!! Your cage is tip top!! Lots of cover and vines!! Your cham will grow fast and happy, you are going to need a bigger cage in 6 months or less.

They grow to 9 - 15 inches long so the size of cage is up to you, I like to give them lots of room, thats just my choice, I built a 51" long 29" deep 44" tall for my 3 month old

Although if you want to go bigger, it’s always better. But your cham can live a perfectly happy and content life in the cage you have now. If your cage was 18” by 18” by 36” tall or smaller, then you’d want to upgrade to a 2’ by 2’ by 4’ in 6 months

So would you guys recommend trying to get him adjusted to you when you've just got him? Give him treat if he came onto your hand to encourage it at 4.5 months old?

@MBStephens how is Leon doing ? I recently got a panther myself and am also using the 2*2*4 with semi dense live plant cover and I was curious if you could post an update photo to see growth and colors ? I think my chameleon had a hatch date in July but he's just so small it's got me confused

Attachments

• IMG_20190205_130510.jpg
    IMG_20190205_130510.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20190206_073826.jpg
    IMG_20190206_073826.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom