The duplex is complete

Sounds like a reasonable reason! :p

Yeah, once it starts going together it won't take me long. I just hope it looks as good as I want it too!

Alright, just in case anyone is curious what I did here, here are some construction photos. As you will notice there is a gap between the last construction photo and the completed photos. I put a home on the market (im a realtor) and the camera ended up at the office for the remaining construction..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Finally, here are some photos after some adjustments. I removed the roof hanging plant hooks. I replaced them with wires to the corners.

I also added the chameleons, obviously. The humidifier piped in is working as well as the misters. The shelving and Prison food trays have worked great! These guys, about 1 year old were never cup fed prior to me and with the position of the shelves they took to it very quickly. The female was using the cup/tray within hours, the male within 2 days. The also don't even notice when I open the prison tray door, whereas they don't enjoy me opening the larger door nearly as much. I'm very glad I added that feature!

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

Here is the poop tray in action. It works great!
The water on the wood got a weird reflection from the lights/flash. It doesn't have this look at all normally.
58.jpg

Loaded poop tray pulled out to show ease of removal.
59.jpg

Male side with mister and fogger running
60.jpg

Female side with misting and fogger running
61.jpg

No Name for this guy yet. I'm hoping my son can come up with something, but then again is isn't quite 2, :D.
62.jpg

Male side with Fogger Running
66.jpg

Female side with fogger running
67.jpg

Brilliant pictures mate. They'll be really helpful to me if no one else!

How easy is it to clean your drainage base? Can you wipe it pretty easily? It's exactly what I want to do, but I was thinking of coating it with something to make it easier to wipe!

Brilliant pictures mate. They'll be really helpful to me if no one else!

How easy is it to clean your drainage base? Can you wipe it pretty easily? It's exactly what I want to do, but I was thinking of coating it with something to make it easier to wipe!

The drainage base is definitely not something you could wipe with any effectiveness. It is actually quite rough. However with the screen I used as the poop tray on very small pieces of dirt/potting soil can make it down. Everything else is caught. The way its all made and sealed with poly it would be easiest to remove the cage and screen and hose it off. I haven't seen any need for that yet, as most of the small pieces of dirt are funneling down to the drain and either hanging out there or making it through into the bucket.

The only thing I would recommend when making the drainage tray that way I did would be when you are cutting the pieces into triangles and then gluing them together, I would put about a 1/4" piece of wood below the lowest point. I made its lowest point flush with the flat surface the whole tray was made on and after I added the mortar the bottom sunk about 1/4". Therefore I had to use the router and clear off enough space on the cabinet to allow for the sunken low point. It really is no big deal for the finished product, but not exactly what I was hoping for.

Ok, well, I was hoping to tile my drainage base anyway, so that should help with the ease of wiping it clean, but I'm still concerned with the bits that I'll need to grout. They should be ok, but I just don't want them to get mouldy or anything.

I remember people discussing the lighting before but I thought you were going to put one of those wire safety things over them?

Honestly, I've been planning this for at least 3 months now. I had some exams recently so I've not been able to focus on much else other than them! I should start the build this coming week though! Finally.

I thought about sticking something over the staples to cover them, but couldn't find anything that'd really do it. What do you all suggest?

3/4 inch window lathe. Cheap, wood, Home Depot, or any hardware store.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom