The Dubia Roach Setup - How to setup a roach enclosure for care and breeding

eat2muchrice

Avid Member
Hey Guys! I'm back again for a little bit, just wanted to share with everyone how my roach colony has evolved throughout the years and how I created my setup for easy care and cleaning. For years this system has been working perfectly for me to keeping the roaches healthy and clean. I'll try and update with pictures of my setup, hope this helps some start or improve their roach care.

Roach Tank.jpg

Hey Guys! I'm back again for a little bit, just wanted to share with everyone how my roach colony has evolved throughout the years and how I created my setup for easy care and cleaning. For years this system has been working perfectly for me to keeping the roaches healthy and clean. I'll try and update with pictures of my setup, hope this helps some start or improve their roach care.

View attachment 278928
This is great. I will adapt mine carrier tomorrow. What is your heat pad and how us it attached so not on floor. Thx

This is great. I will adapt mine carrier tomorrow. What is your heat pad and how us it attached so not on floor. Thx
I used the self adhesive pads to the bottom of the glass, I think there are two zoo meds pads and they are both connected to some cheap hydroponic thermometer controllers. I also use a baking sheet pan flipped up-side-down to cover the heat pads, that pan is just held up to the bottom of the tank with extra insolation stuffed underneath.

This looks really great. I would love to see a picture of it. I have my first starter colony coming next week so I am very interested in this set up. Thanks for posting.

So i have my dubias in a large plastic tub though. Maybe heat mat not doable.
Cheap glass tanks can be found on at petco $1 per gallon sales or on craigslist. With a glass tank you can use a metal putty/ knife to easily scrap it clean, much easier to clean then plastic.

It lets poop and dead bugs move to one area if I understood correctly. For east removal.
Yes! with a glass bottom tank all the weak dying roaches will not have the strength to climb back up and slide down to the bottom along with the most of the roaches waste (poop). This keeps the egg creates cleaner and last longer while also keeping sick away from the "hive".

Smart move having them at an angle. I slightly do this for a few of my roach colonies to help lead water to that area for species that need dry/moist sections.

So I made a mistake on tank size I use, but don't think I can edit the image on the forum.

I use a 40 gallon tank, not 20 as mentioned.

Found an older picture of my roach setup before I wrapped it in insulation, this lets you see how it is setup inside. Again this is a 40gal tank, but the size can be scaled smaller.

20180613_163610-1.jpeg

I connect two egg creates together to create "books" that open up when I search for roaches.

20180408_140537.jpeg

Just posting this to help anyone who is new to ID male and females, I'll feed off 1 female to every 4-5 males per day, that keeps a high female population in my colony.

11412-1312166866-b104b58fe4c4d117a54818dfef139e25-1.jpg

Found an older picture of my roach setup before I wrapped it in insulation, this lets you see how it is setup inside. Again this is a 40gal tank, but the size can be scaled smaller.

View attachment 278961

I connect two egg creates together to create "books" that open up when I search for roaches.

View attachment 278967

Just posting this to help anyone who is new to ID male and females, I'll feed off 1 female to every 4-5 males per day, that keeps a high female population in my colony.

View attachment 278970
Ok I get all of it except the poop bag. How does the poop get in the bag. Am I missing something? Very cool set up.

Ok I get all of it except the poop bag. How does the poop get in the bag. Am I missing something? Very cool set up.

Haha, its just like a trash bag for a trash can. There are little babies that also will get dumped into the bag when you clean, that is what the "escape stick" is for. Most of the babies escape and fall out in about 48 hours, then you dump the trash bag "dog poop bag". The bag is optional.

Back
Top Bottom