The definitive lighting thread! Everything you really need to know

I purchased my lighting from a canadian vendor on Ebay. Six bulb unit with a digital timer for 169.00 delivered. You may want to try there.

Can you PM me the vendor name?

I dont even know what to search on ebay to come up with that stuff.

I also want to know if I should get the Arcaida Deep Dome 8" from LYR for 30 bucks (basking dome fixture) or if the $15 dome fixtures are good enough?

Can you PM me the vendor name?

I dont even know what to search on ebay to come up with that stuff.

I also want to know if I should get the Arcaida Deep Dome 8" from LYR for 30 bucks (basking dome fixture) or if the $15 dome fixtures are good enough?

This is the exact one I use, and, its less expensive than what I paid.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Timer-36-234W-6x39-Fluorescent-Actinic-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-Marine-/140928759760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d00237d0

Hope this helps.

my added addendum--

no matter WHAT your lighting system is, the best investment right now is to get a UVB meter. first of all, they are now an almost necessary investment and are small and convenient, and they have taught me more about my various lighting systems about various bulbs/housing/distance than anything else ever has. and for the average ZooMed/Exo-Terra/Fluker's owner/breeder, there is just absolutely no more guesswork for when it's time to replace your bulbs.

and i think it's even fun to use. kind of Jedi-ish.

What uvb meter do you recommend?

I would love to see someone's setup with one in use! They look fantastic on that info page. I'd like to see how it compares to the HO setups.

I would love to see someone's setup with one in use! They look fantastic on that info page. I'd like to see how it compares to the HO setups.

after reading patricks link decided to google it to find a price, theres other threads of people who have and use them on the forum. check in with them if they have/use a meter

Guys I'm getting the t5 system for my panther so should I get 6% or 12%

with decent foilage believe you can go with the 12% especially with like a 48" enclosure. or at least thats what I have acquired from other posts and thats what i think i have decided on.

I really like that a lot! Is there a lot of room for height adjustment, so you could use it for different sizes of cages?

There is a fair amount of adjustment, I can drop it down so that it touches the screen and raise it up about 7 inches above the screen. They do have larger units a 50w and a 70w if you are living somewhere cold. I am in socal so I opted for the smallest lamp. I'll take some pictures today with a tape measure and the lamp adjusted all the way down and up.

I was hoping to find the Sunray at our local reptile show today but no such luck.
Did you get that UVB meter yet Spork?

It will be delivered on Friday 10-18. I exchanged my 35w's for 50w's today, the colder weather was making my temps drop too much.

Ummm.... Tomorrow is 10-18. They won't have the new light until tomorrow.

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified. I exchanged my lights for 50w and have those already, the solarmeter is what I am waiting for which will be here tomorrow. As far as the lights go, the only thing I have noticed is that both of my chameleons seems to bask more frequently under it. As far as moutning with double sided tape, it did not work too hot, i had to drill a hole in the mount and zip tie it to the frame of my screen cage.

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified. I exchanged my lights for 50w and have those already, the solarmeter is what I am waiting for which will be here tomorrow. As far as the lights go, the only thing I have noticed is that both of my chameleons seems to bask more frequently under it. As far as moutning with double sided tape, it did not work too hot, i had to drill a hole in the mount and zip tie it to the frame of my screen cage.

I like the idea of the 70 watt myself. Did you notice any brighter output or more surface area covered by the light between the 35 watt and 50 watt? Thats too bad about the double sided tape. I have some 3M tape that would hold airplane wings together if you need some.

I like the idea of the 70 watt myself. Did you notice any brighter output or more surface area covered by the light between the 35 watt and 50 watt? Thats too bad about the double sided tape. I have some 3M tape that would hold airplane wings together if you need some.

The 50w is a little bit brighter, the 70w would be way too much down here in socal. The double sided tape looked like 3m, but i'm sure it wasn't, if you are going to mount this to a screen cage I would recommend removing whatever double sided tape it came with and replacing it with 3m or using zip ties.

Back
Top Bottom