The definitive lighting thread! Everything you really need to know

You keep yours out doors right? A luxury many do not have. This is just a fraction of your light. I'm speaking of indoors habitats. Long term success.

Just the adults outside. Honestly I know nothing about lighting and I do not use plants inside (very sterile lifeless enclosures) but it still sounds to me like a ton of STUFF.

(just like the distinction between venomous and poisonous) this drives me NUTS

the only issues ive heard of in regards to too much light is the issues with the cfl ubv bulbs, but apparently thats been amended. i could see serious issues arising if the cages arent heavily planted and they dont have the option of hiding from the light. I believe these problems were fixed as well, but just to emphasize these were problems of too much UVB, not too much visible light.

when your purchasing the bulbs your lumens are right on but the color "temperature" is usually labeled as daylight, bright white, and soft white. daylight is what youd see in a nursey(very blue hue), bright white in an office and softwhite emulates the standard incandecent. This is a rough estimation, but you have to be a little careful. "daylilght" "bright white" etc are manufacturers labels; there is no organized classification (that I know of) that forces manufacturers to use certain names. The names are a good indication of approximate color and for most purpose anything in the "daylight" range is ideal for plants. For example, I have seen "daylight" applied to everywhere from 5000K to 7000K bulbs. However, the actual numerical value can often be found with a little searching, often hidden in the fine print of the box.

This may help illustrate the distinctions between different color temperatures and also show why the 5000-7000K range is a good approximation for "full spectrum" (ie balanced reds and blues)
colour-temperature.jpg

brightwhite or softwhite offset the blueness of your uvb bulbs and gives an overall more natural color. This is true, but they are not the ideal color temperatures for overall plant growth....which brings up the key point here: are we talking about light we need for our chameleon, for the plants (furthermore, we can ask to do what? color up flowers? veg out foliage?), or (a case I hadn't previously considered) the aesthetics?

based on my experience 2 tubes and a basking lamp are perfectly sufficient. if youve got a hibiscus chuck an extra cfl on and they do just fine. I agree.

"This is similar to why commercial grow houses will use blue-heavy lights during vegging and red-heavy lights during flowering." mercury vapor/metal halide and then high pressure sodium. Yep, exactly. MH and HPS lights both tend to put out (relatively) white light, however, as you stated, they are both used in grow cycles as well. The reason here is similar, but not as visible, as the LED grow lights: MH lights tend to put out a slightly more "blue" spectrum while HPS lights tend to put out a more "full" (ie more red than MH bulbs) spectrum.
In comparison, due to LED technology being able to control EXACTLY the wavelengths present in the LEDs, LED growlights are more "specialized". If you look up most LED grow lights, you will see they are very red or blue heavy.

I think it is very important to ask "what lights for whom" (that is, what lights do the chams need, what lights do the plants need, what lights do we need to make it presentable, etc.) The question of "shade benefit" vs "light benefit" and the best ratio of each is also a very interesting one...

Last edited:
Just reading Kammerflage Kreations website on lights and such and they say NEVER use a 10.0 cause it emits too much phosphorus which be be harmful or even fatal to a chameleon. Any comment on that anyone????

Excellent information. I actually use 2 bulbs because I have dense foilage throughout my cage w/ 2 chameleons inside.

Just reading Kammerflage Kreations website on lights and such and they say NEVER use a 10.0 cause it emits too much phosphorus which be be harmful or even fatal to a chameleon. Any comment on that anyone????

hmmm...

I would like to know what they mean by "emitting" phosphorus?

I have never heard of that.

UV is LIGHT energy.
LIGHT that is invisible to our eyes.

Not a chemical like phosphorus.

from wikipedia:
Phosphorus ( /ˈfɒsfərəs/ FOS-fər-əs) is the chemical element that has the symbol P and atomic number 15. A multivalent nonmetal of the nitrogen group, phosphorus as a mineral is almost always present in its maximally oxidized state, as inorganic phosphate rocks. Elemental phosphorus exists in two major forms—white phosphorus and red phosphorus—but due to its high reactivity, phosphorus is never found as a free element on Earth.

The first form of elemental phosphorus to be produced (white phosphorus, in 1669) emits a faint glow upon exposure to oxygen – hence its name given from Greek mythology, Φωσφόρος meaning "light-bearer" (Latin Lucifer), referring to the "Morning Star", the planet Venus. The term "phosphorescence", meaning glow after illumination, originally derives from this property of phosphorus, although this word has since been used for a different physical process that produces a glow. The glow of phosphorus itself originates from oxidation of the white (but not red) phosphorus— a process now termed chemiluminescence.

The vast majority of phosphorus compounds are consumed as fertilizers. Other applications include the role of organophosphorus compounds in detergents, pesticides and nerve agents, and matches.[4]

Phosphorus is essential for life. As phosphate, it is a component of DNA, RNA, ATP, and also the phospholipids that form all cell membranes. Demonstrating the link between phosphorus and life, elemental phosphorus was historically first isolated from human urine, and bone ash was an important early phosphate source. Phosphate minerals are fossils. Low phosphate levels are an important limit to growth in some aquatic systems. The chief commercial use of phosphorus compounds for production of fertilizers is due to the need to replace

hmmm...

I would like to know what they mean by "emitting" phosphorus?

I have never heard of that.

UV is LIGHT energy.
LIGHT that is invisible to our eyes.

Not a chemical like phosphorus.

from wikipedia:
Phosphorus ( /ˈfɒsfərəs/ FOS-fər-əs) is the chemical element that has the symbol P and atomic number 15. A multivalent nonmetal of the nitrogen group, phosphorus as a mineral is almost always present in its maximally oxidized state, as inorganic phosphate rocks. Elemental phosphorus exists in two major forms—white phosphorus and red phosphorus—but due to its high reactivity, phosphorus is never found as a free element on Earth.

The first form of elemental phosphorus to be produced (white phosphorus, in 1669) emits a faint glow upon exposure to oxygen – hence its name given from Greek mythology, Φωσφόρος meaning "light-bearer" (Latin Lucifer), referring to the "Morning Star", the planet Venus. The term "phosphorescence", meaning glow after illumination, originally derives from this property of phosphorus, although this word has since been used for a different physical process that produces a glow. The glow of phosphorus itself originates from oxidation of the white (but not red) phosphorus— a process now termed chemiluminescence.

The vast majority of phosphorus compounds are consumed as fertilizers. Other applications include the role of organophosphorus compounds in detergents, pesticides and nerve agents, and matches.[4]

Phosphorus is essential for life. As phosphate, it is a component of DNA, RNA, ATP, and also the phospholipids that form all cell membranes. Demonstrating the link between phosphorus and life, elemental phosphorus was historically first isolated from human urine, and bone ash was an important early phosphate source. Phosphate minerals are fossils. Low phosphate levels are an important limit to growth in some aquatic systems. The chief commercial use of phosphorus compounds for production of fertilizers is due to the need to replace

well, I guess I am going to have to put an email into Liddy Kammer. I am friends with her on FB also. According to her website, they say it can be harmful and to never use one. They must have gotten their info from somewhere to post it on their website as a warning. It will be interesting to see what her response is. Thank you for all your input and info!!!

well, I guess I am going to have to put an email into Liddy Kammer. I am friends with her on FB also. According to her website, they say it can be harmful and to never use one. They must have gotten their info from somewhere to post it on their website as a warning. It will be interesting to see what her response is. Thank you for all your input and info!!!

Hi Carol, yes... please ask!!
I am interested to hear if that is something to be aware of.
Thank You!
Todd

I just sent her an email this morning. will let you know if I find anything out. It may take her a little while to get back to me!!! I know from past experience. I know they are busy.

This is a great thread, I have currently switched to a Arcadia T5HO 12% with typical basking dome and a Jungle Dawn L.E.D bar. The L.E.D bars have 3 different L.E.D color temps used. 5.5k, 6.5k, and 7.5k. I decided to add them after speaking with Todd at Liteyourreptiles and my cages have never looked better, lots of light for the plants, great colors on my cham, and very brite. I did however add 2 layers of screen between the uvb and the cage interior as i feel they are too strong for the confines of a cage with a cham being kept indoors and supplemented in the typical fasion.

Hi guys,
I have a problem with lighting and thought maybe someone here could help me out.
I have a big cage 7x4x4 and I've put two 5 UVBs for my 5 months old panther chameleon. As I have had some problems with my cham's adaptation I've started a thread ( https://www.chameleonforums.com/big-cage-problem-adaptation-83866/ ) and was recommended to take out one of the bulbs. The bulbs are not covered with any kind of mesh, they are inside of the viv.
Do you have any sugestions if thats too much or is that ok for the big viv?

Attachments

• zdj?cie-4.jpg
    zdj?cie-4.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 328
Hi guys,
I have a problem with lighting and thought maybe someone here could help me out.
I have a big cage 7x4x4 and I've put two 5 UVBs for my 5 months old panther chameleon. As I have had some problems with my cham's adaptation I've started a thread ( https://www.chameleonforums.com/big-cage-problem-adaptation-83866/ ) and was recommended to take out one of the bulbs. The bulbs are not covered with any kind of mesh, they are inside of the viv.
Do you have any sugestions if thats too much or is that ok for the big viv?

Two 5.0 uvb bulbs is not too much especially for such a large enclosure. For a panther or veiled in that large of an enclosure you want to try MVB. Heat, light, UVB all in one.

In regards to lighting, I have a Coral Life Dual T5 HO 30" fixture, and would like to reuse it if possible, currently have a 31 watt 10,000K daylight bulb, and a 31 watt 420 "Actinic" bulb, is there any replacement lamp recommendations, I plan to have a 18W x 18D x 36H screen enclosure, with a live ficus/hibiscus, and the fixture has adjustable mounting feet, that set the fixture 3 inches of the enclosure, any suggestions of help would be greatly appreciated.

In regards to lighting, I have a Coral Life Dual T5 HO 30" fixture, and would like to reuse it if possible, currently have a 31 watt 10,000K daylight bulb, and a 31 watt 420 "Actinic" bulb, is there any replacement lamp recommendations, I plan to have a 18W x 18D x 36H screen enclosure, with a live ficus/hibiscus, and the fixture has adjustable mounting feet, that set the fixture 3 inches of the enclosure, any suggestions of help would be greatly appreciated.

The salt water aquarium bulbs should be replaced with a UVB Bulb found at Light your reptiles, 6% or 12% depending on your species and at least one 5000k or 6500K Full spectrum bulb for light and plants. There are a ton of variables when it comes to the "RIGHT" lighting for your Chameleon. Before you spend your hard earned money make sure you understand what environment the chameleon originates from so you can maximize your setup without buying twice.

This is great very informative, quick question can chameleon see the same as iguanas? Cause they see also the 4 colour uv, thanks everyonr

Back
Top Bottom