the correct diet.... less food or more food

jacquesvanzijl

I have read a couple of treats here about how much you should feed your chams and for females if you feed them to much they will have 2 to 3 clutches of eggs a year...

At this point i'm not worrying how many clutches my Female Veiled should give but to give them n healthy diet and a longer life span..

According how i feed them and i have read its all WRONG...!!! Every morning i give my female and mail in there buckets 3 x crickets and 3 x Super worms at night when im back they might have eating every thing or left some.... this is wrong!!! i have read you need to give them n diet.... only feed them 3 times a week and not every day like i do..

Please could you assist me doing right at my chams and not trying to do right but im accentual giving them a slow death..

How old are they? I have read anywheres from 6 months and + You feed every other day. Thats a good amount you have there but everyday can make them overweight if you dont watch closely. There are people who actually weigh their chams that way they can keep track. Usually just females though. To know when they might be producing more eggs and getting ready to lay.

my Female is 18 months and my Male is around 15 months... im getting n Panter this weekend and he is 3 months old...

this is what i gather.

Males - no problem you can feed them every day

Females - only every 3 days

Its hard to not feed them everyday.... being that us as humans need to eat several times everyday so we can survive .... What I try to do is when I want to feed them a treat.... like hornworms or fruit... I will do it on the days that I am not feeding them their staples... though I dont give them many... I usually give one worm per cham on the days their skipping.

Id say as long as you are keeping a CLOSE eye on your male and he doesnt look like hes gaining much weight then youd be okay.... or atleast cut that in half on the days you should be skipping. A fat cham can lead to some health problems. Same thing for people... its never good to be fat. =p

With veiled males and females once they reach adulthood I feed them every two to three days. With the males, you just don't want them to get fat. With the females, constant overfeeding can lead to producing large clutches, constipation, prolapses and egglaying issues...and premature death.

If a female is gravid you want to feed her well enough that she gets all the extra nutrients she needs to produce the eggs.

ya just make sure shes not looking super fat! She will look fat and lumpy of course..... she has anywheres from 30 -100 eggs in there 0.0 hoping closer to the 30s.... maybe less =] You dont want to come into a problem of eggbinding because of so many eggs need to be lain.

ya i suppose being that she is already gravid you dont want her to starve her nutrition... I probably wouldnt stop what you are doing if it seems shes not getting too large... just make sure ur supplementing them...

Ive seen generally stated around here

Calcium without D3-everyday
Calcium With D3- 2 times a month
Multivitamin - 2 times a month

Your chams are both old enough to be fed every other day, but if they seem happy with every day feedings there is no need to change. The only thing I can add is more variety in insects is always better, even some wc stuff just as interest. I read a blog which gave me the idea of feeding a pinkie mouse when you know you have a gravid female. Will help with fat, protein and vitamin boost needed.....I'm going to give it a go when I start to breed mine, so if you do it let me know how it goes please :)

ive heard from several people Gout from too much animal protein since Chameleons are insectivores and not carnivores..... Ive also heard from others that it could be beneficial

I dont think 1 wouldd cause the gout though.... I think it would take several

Though I never attempted to feed mine one and I probably never will =p

Ya I have also seen vids of pinkies being fed and goldfish too....

Thus I have seen vids of people smacking into walls and breaking bones

Not always the best to do... but it has happened before.

Concering the pinkie and any other animal protein you pretty much have to take the risk at your own willingness. I really cant say from personal experience what it will do. I also havnt seen an account of anyone else documenting of what happens after so long... its risky but up to you.

Be careful with the D3 from supplements....it builds up in the system and can lead to symptoms of MBD. D3 produced from exposure to the UVB is safer since, as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it, its self-regulating.

Back
Top Bottom