The Chameleon Community Makes No Progress...

I agree completely with your post, Chad!!

There is a ton more information out there on panthers and veileds. As was said, some correct some not but if you google husbandry for any of those species you will find way much more than any other species out there and jacksonii xanth come in third. One reason for this is that those three species are probably the most common in pet stores. My first cham was a captive born jacksonii xanth from a pet store. Luckily they gave me OK advice on husbandry.

Another reason for this, and it was proven in the "Prices" thread with this statement, "People just don't want chameleons with weird rostral projections and blotchy colors that aren't super cool." Personally I think was an ignorant statement because you can see many chameleons out there with just as cool, if not cooler colorations and patterns as panthers. But obviously this is what the majority of chameleon keepers think.

Also, some people see that price tag on panthers and think they can make it big by breeding them. They eventually get shot down like the instance of VibrantChameleons who was an active member when I first came to the forums. A post from him that said something like, people need to stop selling panthers in Canada for cheaper than the regular price because it is becoming harder to sell them at the higher prices I want to. In a nut shell. I am guessing he got discouraged and is no longer keeping chameleons because of his motivations. This boils down to what Trace said about finding out they are hard to sell or too expensive to keep breeding them. Since they are a "beginner" species and what a lot start with that ends any knowledge they might obtain with going to a less common species.

All in all, I think these are some of the bigger reasons there isnt enough information shared on less common species. Because most are not interested for one reason or another. Dont get me wrong, people, I find panthers a fascinating species. What I dont find fascinating about them is the smugness a lot of those keepers and breeders have. Enough with that rant:rolleyes:

Another reason for the lack of information is the shape WC chameleons come in. This can be discouraging, to buy an animal just for it to die on you because you got a sub par specimen that does not acclimate well. Along with not being prepared.

As for focusing on one or a few species at a time, I agree. Yes, you guys can call me a hypocrite. Why? Because at the moment I have 6 chameleons and only two are of the same species. One reason for this is I have had hellish problems getting true pairs of animals. The species I do want to work with are much rarer than the WCs that are commonly imported, besides K. tavetana. I dont want to work with them because they are rarer, its because I find these species the most fascinating out of the ones I have kept. I have kept quite a few different species. Some I acclimated and then sold them off. Some I have had no success with and they died on me. I am the type of person who likes to taste all the candy in the store and then decide what I like the best:eek: Because of this, as Juli mentioned, I think its made me somewhat of a more rounded keeper being able to see the needs of other species and be able to accommodate for those needs. Its also helped me provide, what I hope to be decent general care, on montane chameleons. As for now, I am going to see what I can pair up this year and sell what I cant because I do want to work with only a few species.

As for people who do have knowledge on particular less common species but do not share it, I think Trace covered that.

Id like to think that I share what I can. Good and bad experiences to those who need it. I dont have a ton to share but all of us who do have a little more experience than the norm with certain species need to share. This is how we all advance.

I would love to see all of us, newer and seasoned, keepers of such species collaborate and share our information. Adcham.com was a great site that is no longer being updated. Something like that site would benefit the whole community and a good start I think. chameleonnews.com is a great site and dont get me wrong, Chris!! Its filled with tons of great articles and information but I think something with a well rounded aspect such as adcham is needed also. I have typed up LONG replies suggesting things to keepers just for it to be ignored. This is discouraging. Something we can link each keeper to that has questions on these less common species would be great. This way we dont have to write 2000 word replies to be ignored. We link them up and let them decide if they want to take in what one has to offer.

Maybe its time we get this species database rolling!! Try to find other keepers around the world who want to participate in helping us have a large database and that have knowledge none of us do on certain species.

Hopefully my post isnt just filled with personal babble and there is something to take from it.:eek:

Last edited:
I mean is there as much petty jealousy, back stabbing and drama in say the knitting community?) .

This is also part of the problem and a big part, along with the "competition". This isnt NASCAR. We arent racing to be the first at the finish line.

Another reason for the lack of information is the shape WC chameleons come in. This can be discouraging, to buy an animal just for it to die on you because you got a sub par specimen that does not acclimate well. Along with not being prepared.

This is a huge part of the reason people are not working with the less common species. You can get CB Veileds and Panthers all day. You can now get some Multi's, you can get some Mellers, some Oustalets, Brevs, some Jacskons, some Quads, some Flapnecks, and a few others. We preach all day to get CB or CH animals. People don't want to take the risk on acclimating both emotionally and financially. People that are less involved emotionally get labled "cham killers" for trying to acclimate WC's that don't make it, even through no fault of their own. In order to study, breed, and document you have to acquire alot of animals, and through that process you will lose some. Like Cain I have acquired animals for which I could not find a mate or lost a WC mate before I could breed, dashing my dreams of having F2 Oustalets and Multi's. :rolleyes:

Are there really a bunch of people that are not members of this forum sucessfully breeding Senegals, Gracefuls, Peacocks, Cresteds, etc.? All of which are fairly inexpensive WC animals? The list goes on and on.

So, my suggestion for the day...

We start a breed specific observation section of the forum. Each species has a separate place or thread so people that keep that species can document their experience. This would be a great place of collective information from keepers everywhere. It could further be broken down into "General Observation", "Breeding", "Common Illnesses", "Housing", "Supplementing", etc.

People that are less involved emotionally get labled "cham killers" for trying to acclimate WC's that don't make it, even through no fault of their own.

Do people really do this? Not a very progressive attitude toward people trying to increase a knowledge base or even save animals(for those more emo).

EVERY SINGLE cb animal in the Cham and herp hobby comes from, and every "cb only" keeper should give thanks, to those old timers who were willing to experiment with WCs, and those who stand on their high horses while keeping their cb animals amuse me....

Do people really do this? Not a very progressive attitude toward people trying to increase a knowledge base or even save animals(for those more emo).

EVERY SINGLE cb animal in the Cham and herp hobby comes from, and every "cb only" keeper should give thanks, to those old timers who were willing to experiment with WCs, and those who stand on their high horses while keeping their cb animals amuse me....

Don't be too hard on "cb only" keepers, like myself. It's not that I think it's horrible to get WC species, it's that I think it would be irresponsible for ME to, and with less than a year experience caring for panthers, I think I'm right.

As long as you are not a "high horse" guy, you are OK then.;)

Trust me, I am nowhere near a Cham expert, but I keep other herps and the anti WC crusaders annoy.....

Don't be too hard on "cb only" keepers, like myself. It's not that I think it's horrible to get WC species, it's that I think it would be irresponsible for ME to, and with less than a year experience caring for panthers, I think I'm right.

Its not whether you decide to keep only CB chameleons its the ego that comes from some of those that think they are better because of it. The thing is, their is egos in every type of keeper, only CBs, panther keepers, less common species keepers, rarer species keepers etc. This is one of the things that does not help in getting information out there. There are way to many "high horse" keepers that want to be the first at this or that for bragging rights. Its not a competition.

It is where some of the forum "attitude" comes from. People are actually looked down upon for trying to advance keeping knowledge of some of the lesser owned species. Someone once said that knowledge and advancement came more from the animals they lost.

How about you guys who have species less common, collaborate on a 'rarer-species-/WC wiki'
to which you can all contribute and others can learn from? :)

We start a breed specific observation section of the forum. Each species has a separate place or thread so people that keep that species can document their experience. This would be a great place of collective information from keepers everywhere. It could further be broken down into "General Observation", "Breeding", "Common Illnesses", "Housing", "Supplementing", etc.

How about you guys who have species less common, collaborate on a 'rarer-species-/WC wiki'
to which you can all contribute and others can learn from? :)

Even something more general than that would be helpful.

You see a lot here about keeping montane species vs jungle species vs temperate species etc. And if you dig into a particular species, you can find out "keep it like a montane species".

Perhaps it is buried somewhere and I missed it, but what I would like to see is lists of species with similar maintenance requirements listed under "montane" or "jungle" or even more sophisticated breakdowns.

Then I can look into getting a new species with similar requirements to what I keep or decide to learn a new technique for a new group of species.

I guess I am looking for the opposite if what I usually find.

I think this is a worthy idea as for more detailed information in regards to species for to everyone to access.

As far as preaching captive bred I'm one who preaches buy captive bred first if your looking for a pet.

When it comes to starting and maintaining breeding colonies there has been only one species to my knowledge that has not required occasional wc additions to keep colonies going and thriving (Chamaeleo calyptratus). Starting colonies from wild caughts although it can difficult is good since it gives your colony unique genetic lineages. Plus if you are a long time breeder of certain species of course you are going to have to bring wild caught chameleons into part of your breeding colony if you are going to sustain your colonies long term.

I still say if you are just looking for a pet look captive bred first.

Last edited:
Even something more general than that would be helpful.

You see a lot here about keeping montane species vs jungle species vs temperate species etc. And if you dig into a particular species, you can find out "keep it like a montane species".

Perhaps it is buried somewhere and I missed it, but what I would like to see is lists of species with similar maintenance requirements listed under "montane" or "jungle" or even more sophisticated breakdowns.

Then I can look into getting a new species with similar requirements to what I keep or decide to learn a new technique for a new group of species.

I guess I am looking for the opposite if what I usually find.

This book actually has an organization like what you're talking about. It classifies all the species into their various environments. Don't let the pricetag fool you, it's worth the price of a panther.;)

Last edited:

Its not whether you decide to keep only CB chameleons its the ego that comes from some of those that think they are better because of it. The thing is, their is egos in every type of keeper, only CBs, panther keepers, less common species keepers, rarer species keepers etc. This is one of the things that does not help in getting information out there. There are way to many "high horse" keepers that want to be the first at this or that for bragging rights. Its not a competition.

So what do you other keepers think about the stated opinions above and this thread in general? Are we forever limited to Panthers & Veileds? Are the cheap prices of WC chams just too tempting versus rewarding the few keepers who have bred less available species?

For like 6 months I have been thinking that like when you order a cham when you enter your info ect. They should make you fill out a questionaire thing about the husbandry of that reptile and youd have to pass the test 100% to be able to proceed to checkout. It would leave mostly dedicated or experienced owners or first time buyers so that there would be so much mistakes in the care. Sorry if this is like dumb to all of you, it has just been on my mind whenever I see people making mistakes in their husbandry and stuff

For like 6 months I have been thinking that like when you order a cham when you enter your info ect. They should make you fill out a questionaire thing about the husbandry of that reptile and youd have to pass the test 100% to be able to proceed to checkout. It would leave mostly dedicated or experienced owners or first time buyers so that there would be so much mistakes in the care. Sorry if this is like dumb to all of you, it has just been on my mind whenever I see people making mistakes in their husbandry and stuff

I wonder how many cars the auto industry would sell if they made everyone take a driving test, that required a 100% passing grade before they could hand you the keys..... or if they required you to pass a test with a 100% score on how to maintain every aspect of the car at all service checkpoints.... :cool:

Not everyone has the knowledge, budget or focus for that. No one is perfect in this hobby, even the experienced. We don't understand the captive husbandry 100%, if you claim you do, you are kidding yourself. We have a good idea of what some chameleon species require.

The industry is always evolving and coming up with some gimmick with a nice fancy box that makes junk sell over the true necessities. Turn over t pet stores is so great that husbandry is either taught via the employees own hobby knowledge or what was passed on from the last 'reptile expert' that worked at the store. This is obviously more the case in big chain stores.... smaller specialized shops won't have this issue as much... But we need to be real with ourselves. We just have to be here for when the next confused keeper arrives and needs help.

I was not in any way implying I knew even close to everything about even one species of chameleons. But I was just saying that it would be reassuring to all of us that if before someone purchased a cham they filled out a thing. That asked what the reccomended basking temps or cage size or lighting and diet and like somethin abput suppliments. Just so that like if they didn't know the stuff they would be motivated by that to do some research, and then come back and buy the cham. Just an idea/opinion. Plus a car isn't the same as a cham, chameleons are alive and can have problems/ die a lot easier than a car

I wonder how many cars the auto industry would sell if they made everyone take a driving test, that required a 100% passing grade before they could hand you the keys..... or if they required you to pass a test with a 100% score on how to maintain every aspect of the car at all service checkpoints.... :cool:

Not everyone has the knowledge, budget or focus for that. No one is perfect in this hobby, even the experienced. We don't understand the captive husbandry 100%, if you claim you do, you are kidding yourself. We have a good idea of what some chameleon species require.

The industry is always evolving and coming up with some gimmick with a nice fancy box that makes junk sell over the true necessities. Turn over t pet stores is so great that husbandry is either taught via the employees own hobby knowledge or what was passed on from the last 'reptile expert' that worked at the store. This is obviously more the case in big chain stores.... smaller specialized shops won't have this issue as much... But we need to be real with ourselves. We just have to be here for when the next confused keeper arrives and needs help.
I love it all but especially the last part.
We just have to be here for when the next confused keeper arrives and needs help. I WAS one of those confused keepers:rolleyes:

I was too. I would have loved to have been given a care sheet and references to site when I first got my chameleon though. I mean, I'm sure there are some reptile owners that just think the pet store's advice is 100% on and don't worry about researching. And on a side note, it would actually be nice if I got all the info on upkeeping a car and how to care for it when I purchase one

Back
Top Bottom